Bank insists I wear a mask

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

We should all be walking around in Hazmat suits then !!!... 

I think common sense can be applied...  When the virus was serious being sanctimonious about mask wearing was justified... now it just seems like virtue signalling amongst those who are not aware of how things have moved on outside of Thailand. 

As I wrote - Wearing a mask on public transport makes sense - not for covid, but for any illness such as the common Cold and Flu...  And busy area’s too but there is also a balance with practicality. 

And of course at hospitals because there are unwell people there with weakened immune systems.

Anywhere else... those with weakened immune systems should be taking extra precautions to protect themselves...  as harsh as it sounds thats life.

Every other country I’ve been to in the last 6 months has moved away from mask wearing...  except Thailand...  it seems strange returning. 

That said, if I walk into a Bank or a Big-C etc and the staff are asking that we wear a mask, I’ll wear a mask... but otherwise I won’t. There’s no mask wearing at my Sons school either.. 

Exactly!

21 hours ago, lkn said:

This is not how constitutional guaranteed “freedom of movement” works.

Think about it, I could drive around drunk without a driver’s license and just claim “freedom of movement”, or I could refuse to show my passport or have my bags scanned in the airport, and again claim “freedom of movement”.

You give stupid examples. The court in Thailand decided in favor of this guy, so what are you even arguing about?

19 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

No pandemic fear of mask wearing Richard. It is what it is, accept it or don't.  We went to Lumpini Park last night for a very very crowded festival and Christmas sales booth they are having.  Did not see one unmasked individual and this included the foreigners we saw.....At DLT yesterday in both Chatuchack and then over in Bang  Khun Tian, 100% mask wearing by both foreigners and Thais alike.  In at Tops Club on Rama 2 also 100% masked I observed.  Of course it is the cooler season and all virus's are making a comeback. On the MRT yesterday 100% mask wearing again and this included the foreigners.  Not seeing many unmasked these past few days, and that includes watching the news on the television.

Talked to my sister in the US, California, and she and the family have started to wear masks again as the cases are spiking upwards.  Wear one if you want and feel the need to but stop with the drivel about the world has moved on. People realize that masks do assist, except the anti-masker brigade.  When in BKK here at the Condo we wear them unless no one is around us, in PKK we wear them only when going into crowded places which include the malls and the bank.

At Don Mueang 5% mask wearers, on Air Asia no masks needed, so in a sense some are moving on.

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Many places inEurope to, and latest visited Spain where you had to wear a mask on public transport, taxi, Pharmacies and other tight spaces. Im done with the conversation trying to argue with people, and I do what I think is right for me, even I do not care much about mask or not for my own sake. 

Just came back from Koh lipe in the South. No masks in sight maybe once in a while a Thai with a mask but that was it. It was as if there was no covid. It was a great holliday. I am fed up with masks but wear them where i have too but I do hate them mainly because of my glasses fogging up.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/5/2022 at 11:42 PM, eisfeld said:

A bank is a private company and can set any policy for their premises that they want.

I really don't get the people who still stubbornly refuse to adhere to simple conventions.

@edwardandtubsYou didn't set a good example with your behaviour. The staff could have easily thrown you off the bus imho. And no, the law was not on his side. He had no right to break the banks policies.

Give him a break - he’s just trying to Make America Great Again. ????

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, ozimoron said:

No, this thread is about calling out people who refuse to wear masks anywhere Absolutely nobody is suggesting the extremes you are accusing them of demanding. Nobody said hazmat suits and nobody said wear masks everywhere. It's about balance and reason.

I think you're quoting the wrong post. 

On 12/5/2022 at 11:33 PM, edwardandtubs said:

It seems to be a bit of a trend after the viral video of the uncle on the sky train. A bus conductor told me to wear a mask today so I said 'mai mee' so she went away, came back and gave me one, to which I replied 'mai aow'. She rolled her eyes at another passenger but then left me alone.

It's definitely not the law so i assume there's a little online movement to try to get these filthy farangs into line. Best just to ignore them if you can. The law is on your side.

To some extent it is different as the BTS is public transport and the rule as published is that masks are required when using Public Transport and in Cinemas. I recently went into Kasikorn bank and they wanted me to wear a mask. I pointed out to them where the government said it was mandatory and they didnt push for me to wear one. I went into the bank without one.

54 minutes ago, chuang said:

The morale of the story is not about rights to wear or not to wear a mask..

If you are in places where the directive is to wear a mask you comply.

No one is entitled just because of their nationalities..????

Absolutely agree...    I carry a mask with me at all times, just incase I’m asked to wear it or in an area where its busy. 

Now... I’ll be away again for the next 6 weeks... Europe and Middle East. 

The next time I wear a mask will likely be back in Thailand if I go on the BTS or a hospital.. Unless the virus takes a turn for the worse, or there is a major flu outbreak etc.. 

39 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

Oh apart from Japan, where they are even more devout than Thailand in their mask wearing, and had about 900,000 recorded cases last week..........

Mask wearing in Japan has been applied intelligently in the past. 

There is a strong degree of social responsibility. IF someone is unwell and suffering some mild cold symptoms etc... they wear a mask to protect others - I like this idea. 

This is a facet of mask wearing I’d like to see adopted everywhere else.

I don’t think blindly wearing a mask is a good thing.

From the sole perspective of transmission of viruses and public health, mask wearing throughout all of society may have its advantageous, but there are many things we could do which would be advantageous to society on a whole.. 

We could ban alcohol...  reduce ALL speed limits to 30mph... Ban Sugar... Limit Television... etc etc... all extreme measures of course and somewhat ridiculous to consider... but a line is drawn somewhere.... and placing a ‘filter’ over our faces as a just incase measure when we are no longer in a pandemic situation may also seem extreme to many / some. 

3 hours ago, FarAway said:

https://t.me/ResistanceTHA

Go in here and ask the admin, he will tell you. You might learn something about the last bastions of resistance in Thailand as well.

So out of 70 odd million people in Thailand  a huge 3 948 members, 81 online  are members.

Am I impressed, not in the slightest.

You seem to be a foreigner like the majority of posters here and ResistanceTHA does not apply to you anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

So out of 70 odd million people in Thailand  a huge 3 948 members, 81 online  are members.

You seem to be a foreigner like the majority of posters here and ResistanceTHA does not apply to you anyway.

There seems to be an interesting facet at play with many of these discussions.... 

Are foreigners who have remained in Thailand and not travelled more likely to continue wearing their mask at all times than foreigners who have been traveling outside of Thailand and witnessed that the vast majority of people are no longer wearing masks and hence are questioning the need to wear a mask at all times in Thailand. 

Is the ‘contagion effect’ impacting those foreigners who have not travelled outside of Thailand, even subconsciously ?.... 

Would those who are ’staunch mask wearers’ still be staunch mask wearers if no-one else in Thailand were wearing masks ?

To me - this is an interesting point - not to argue, but from a sociological perspective: How influenced are we by our surroundings (in this case social surroundings) and how to we allow that influence to impact our bias ??.... 

How do some of us recognise this potential influence and deliberately resist and perhaps go over the top to resist and prove we cannot be socially ‘manipulated’  ???

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

IF someone is unwell and suffering some mild cold symptoms etc... they wear a mask to protect others - I like this idea. 

I'm not against this idea either. 

But the way it's being applied in Thailand and Japan currently is not this, and clearly in Japan having this universal level of masking , is not stopping huge amounts of transmission from occurring. 

The only real way to prevent community transmission with masks it would be to wear N95's permanently and not sit together unmasked to eat etc, that is dystopia and akin to a lockdown. 

53 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

There seems to be an interesting facet at play with many of these discussions.... 

Are foreigners who have remained in Thailand and not travelled more likely to continue wearing their mask at all times than foreigners who have been traveling outside of Thailand and witnessed that the vast majority of people are no longer wearing masks and hence are questioning the need to wear a mask at all times in Thailand. 

Is the ‘contagion effect’ impacting those foreigners who have not travelled outside of Thailand, even subconsciously ?.... 

Would those who are ’staunch mask wearers’ still be staunch mask wearers if no-one else in Thailand were wearing masks ?

To me - this is an interesting point - not to argue, but from a sociological perspective: How influenced are we by our surroundings (in this case social surroundings) and how to we allow that influence to impact our bias ??.... 

How do some of us recognise this potential influence and deliberately resist and perhaps go over the top to resist and prove we cannot be socially ‘manipulated’  ???

Just a thought. If you were to go to a country which requires you to wear a mask, would you comply with their rules and regulations and wear a mask?

3 hours ago, chuang said:

The morale of the story is not about rights to wear or not to wear a mask..

If you are in places where the directive is to wear a mask you comply.

No one is entitled just because of their nationalities..????

Correct, and when it was mandatory to wear a mask in Thailand, I doubt many people ignored it.  Fortunately, it's no longer mandatory and Thailand doesn't have too many places with such a directive - apart from the bank in the OP!

22 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Just a thought. If you were to go to a country which requires you to wear a mask, would you comply with their rules and regulations and wear a mask?

Is there a current law, rule or regulation in Thailand that people have to wear masks, anywhere ???

I think this is part of the argument some are presenting...  There is no current ‘official’ mask mandate in Thailand...   just some businesses.

I’m one of those who are happy to wear a mask in a Bank if asked...  Life is too short too make a big deal of such issues. 

But... I don’t want do be expected to wear a mask whenever outside of my house at all times. I don’t want to have to wear a mask whenever in a Bank or supermarket for the next 10 or 20 years.... (unless there is another pandemic etc).

So... like others, I question the logic behind some of the behavioural traits, specifically this contagion effect where no one wants to be the one standing out from the crowd by not conforming. 

----

I am going to my Son’s school today... A big international School.

No one at the school is wearing masks with the exception of a handful of the parents. We’ll be in a big auditorium watching children do their Christmas performance (i.e. in a closed area)... i.e. maybe less than 5% of parents wearing masks (no kids, no teachers etc).

I wonder, if those same people who are wearing a mask all around Bangkok (in Supermakerts, shopping malls etc) will take off their mask in the school because they don’t want to be the ‘odd ones out’....     the ‘contagion effect in reverse’ !!! 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, anrcaccount said:

I'm not against this idea either. 

But the way it's being applied in Thailand and Japan currently is not this, and clearly in Japan having this universal level of masking , is not stopping huge amounts of transmission from occurring. 

The only real way to prevent community transmission with masks it would be to wear N95's permanently and not sit together unmasked to eat etc, that is dystopia and akin to a lockdown. 

This is an important point that hasn't really been discussed much on this thread so far. There isn't a lot of evidence that mask mandates or recommendations in itself is an effective public health intervention. I was in the UK for most of this year and the mask mandate was lifted in England but not Scotland. So if mass masking is so effective that would have led to more cases per 1000 in England than Scotland wouldn't it? In fact, the opposite happened.

I think the reason for this is that covid spreads through close personal contact and just sitting near someone for a few minutes on public transport or in a bank isn't a high risk activity. So some guy might wear a mask all day but then go to a sex bar in Thong Lo (remember that story?), catch covid, go home and pass it on to his family then the next day go and have lunch with his colleagues and pass it on to them. This is the way covid actually spreads so wearing a mask in Lumpini park isn't going to have any impact.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

This is an important point that hasn't really been discussed much on this thread so far. There isn't a lot of evidence that mask mandates or recommendations in itself is an effective public health intervention. I was in the UK for most of this year and the mask mandate was lifted in England but not Scotland. So if mass masking is so effective that would have led to more cases per 1000 in England than Scotland wouldn't it? In fact, the opposite happened.

I think the reason for this is that covid spreads through close personal contact and just sitting near someone for a few minutes on public transport or in a bank isn't a high risk activity. So some guy might wear a mask all day but then go to a sex bar in Thong Lo (remember that story?), catch covid, go home and pass it on to his family then the next day go and have lunch with his colleagues and pass it on to them. This is the way covid actually spreads so wearing a mask in Lumpini park isn't going to have any impact.

I think there is little doubt as to the effectiveness of everyone wearing masks in public…. 
… but, as you pointed out, with bars, restaurants, gyms, sports-halls etc all open there is sufficient non-mask wearing going on to make mask wearing relatively ineffective….

The community benefit of Mask wearing relies on a ‘critical mass’ of wearers above which mask wearing provides a benefit & below which makes little difference.

With everything being open, I suspect we are ‘below’ that ‘critical mass’ & intermittent mask wearing in some places but not others is simply ineffective.

For mask wearing to be effective it must be on an ‘all the time everywhere’ basis & this isn’t practical when the symptoms are no longer as serious as we originally thought at the beginning of the pandemic. 

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I wonder, if those same people who are wearing a mask all around Bangkok (in Supermakerts, shopping malls etc) will take off their mask in the school because they don’t want to be the ‘odd ones out’....

I know someone who was an avid mask wearer. This was because her husband would likely not survive getting a covid infection.

It was obvious that sometimes she did feel awkward being the only one with a mask, and maybe it wasn’t really that effective (it’s best if the one having covid is wearing the mask), but imagine she comes home and infects her husband, and he does not survive or get “long covid” — that is what made her keep on wearing the mask.

Today though the situation is different because of the milder variations and most old people in the West have been double-boosted.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, billd766 said:

Yes, it is very sad that the resistance in Thailand is so small. Indeed. And now? And why it does not apply to me?