Bank insists I wear a mask

48 minutes ago, OJAS said:

And did half the seats at your immigration office have X's placed on them? Personally speaking, it is supposedly being offered up as sacrificial lambs on the high altar of Social Distancing through being forced, despite seating being available but unusable, to stand on our feet for ages in crowded immigration offices, banks, etc, regardless of whatever physical disabilities we might be suffering from, that gets my goat far more than having to wear a mask in those particular establishments!

you got that right....had to stand there for about two hours as x on lot of seats and place was packed...i was happy to have a mask and see everyone there wearing one....already had covid and fully vaxed but i will continue to try my best not to get it again or even get a cold and while not perfect i think the masks just might help a bit more than nobody wearing masks...

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I understand the pollution argument, but that really only applies in the big towns and cities. Thais wear a mask even in the deep countryside where the air is fine. You may apply common sense but, as we all know, that is absent here in the locals. Like wearing a mask but no helmet on a motorcycle.

you obviously are not familiar with the air quality in the countryside in northern Thailand well away from any big city...go take a nice walk 20 miles out of chiarg rai or chiang mai in march and see how polluted air can be....that is if you can see more than a few feet in front of you....

13 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

It seems to be a bit of a trend after the viral video of the uncle on the sky train. A bus conductor told me to wear a mask today so I said 'mai mee' so she went away, came back and gave me one, to which I replied 'mai aow'. She rolled her eyes at another passenger but then left me alone.

It's definitely not the law so i assume there's a little online movement to try to get these filthy farangs into line. Best just to ignore them if you can. The law is on your side.

And then you wonder why Thais hate you?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

I'm so happy I have found another warrior!!  Well done you, well done for making the poor woman's kindness look stupid.

I flew to Vietnam last week, I wasn't wearing a mask in the airport, no problem.  On boarding (Vietnam Airlines) they gave me a mask and asked me to put it on.  Being a warrior like you I refused, I said I didn't want it, and I marched right past her and into my seat. Everyone else was wearing one but not me, I am a warrior!!

(Actually when she handed me one and asked me to put it on I said "thank you" and put it on, just like you should have done on that bus).

When she opened the door mid-flight and said ‘jump out’,did you do that too?

29 minutes ago, pomchop said:

you obviously are not familiar with the air quality in the countryside in northern Thailand well away from any big city...go take a nice walk 20 miles out of chiarg rai or chiang mai in march and see how polluted air can be....that is if you can see more than a few feet in front of you....

I'm very aware of the fires that are set and the authorities somehow can't find the source of. But what about the other 99% of the country. The other 90% if we discard the polluting towns and cities. I live in Kalasin Province, out in the countryside, good air. Yet almost everyone on a motorcycle wears a mask since Covid. No helmet of course. So, most of the time, it has nothing to to do with pollution.

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm very aware of the fires that are set and the authorities somehow can't find the source of. But what about the other 99% of the country. The other 90% if we discard the polluting towns and cities. I live in Kalasin Province, out in the countryside, good air. Yet almost everyone on a motorcycle wears a mask since Covid. No helmet of course. So, most of the time, it has nothing to to do with pollution.

There's no dust or insects in Kalasin?

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:

I wrote: Yet almost everyone on a motorcycle wears a mask since Covid. I guess before Covid there was no dust or insects, otherwise they'd have worn masks then as well.

I provided an explanation for that. Why don't you address that instead of just repeating the same old tropes?

42 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

And then you wonder why Thais hate you?

Thais don't hate me. For three months nobody mentioned it, nobody avoided sitting or standing next to me on public transport, everyone was happy to work with me, chat with me and serve me, even kiss me (and more). If Thais hate anyone it's miserable old farts who think they're entitled to tell other people what to wear.

Edited by edwardandtubs

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

Quite obviously once they started wearing masks routinely they realized that they are quite useful and did stop a lot of pollution. Humans are remarkable like that, they can learn from experience.

The only problem with that argument is that the cotton masks and surgical masks that most people are wearing are not effective against air pollution. The only masks that are effective are tight-fitting N95 masks, which very few people are wearing. Yes, you see a few N95 masks but they're usually too loose to be effective against pollution.

1 minute ago, edwardandtubs said:

The only problem with that argument is that the cotton masks and surgical masks that most people are wearing are not effective against air pollution. The only masks that are effective are tight-fitting N95 masks, which very few people are wearing. Yes, you see a few N95 masks but they're usually too loose to be effective against pollution.

The mask sits directly in the path of foreign object ingress into the respiratory system. Your claim is self evidently false.

It seems to be hit or miss with masks now.  Partner and I are on a trip to Spain.  First flight--Emirates--masks not mentioned at all.   Second flight--also Emirates--we were told to wear masks during the flight and they were given to us when we boarded the plane.  

7 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The mask sits directly in the path of foreign object ingress into the respiratory system. Your claim is self evidently false.

Do some research. PM2.5 goes straight through and around the edges of the mask and into the respiratory system.

Edited by edwardandtubs
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

They certainly could not as the law is very clear that mask wearing on public transport is voluntary.

Thank you for the information and now I know I was right on a recent inter provincial night bus journey from Chiang Mai to Khon Kaen. I was travelling as a tourist from Cambodia to visit friends. This was the first time back in Thailand after 3 years. Having boarded the bus and took my seat, the stewardess shouted at me "mask, mask"!! I explained that as a tourist I had not seen any rules within or outside Thailand that stated I must wear a mask on a bus. She did not properly understand English and again insisted I wore a mask. Fortunately, I had an old one tucked away inside my travel bag. Having put on my grubby mask we began the journey. Within a few minutes, she was distributing snacks and drinks after which she disappeared into the cab compartment with the driver. Off came my mask whilst I slowly enjoyed my snack and drink, and it remained off whilst all the Thai passengers around me slept buried under a blanket! The stewardess alighted at Lomsak and I tried to explain to her that her attitude was not helping regenerate the Thai tourist industry but she did not care. A steward replaced her and there were no more "wear a mask" instructions. 

Thailand - the hub of Covid-19 paranoia??

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, DaveCW said:

Being in a bank may be a private space and they may set their policies - But you are free to close your account and bank elsewhere, if enough folk did that, they might get the message. It's strange how the mask thing attracts such passionate responses - But I don't see very many folk telling people to get off the road for not wearing a crash helmet on their motorbikes - or go express themselves to others breaking the many laws - People need to put some perspective on this.

Why perspective, apples and oranges really...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

If asked to wear a mask it should be a common courtesy… .. not a big deal if you don’t make it one…

Yes, as long as they provide one for you.  I was at Harborland in Terminal 21 (Pattaya) last week and they insisted on mask wearing.  There was a member of staff walking around handing them out to all the non-mask wearers, most of whom took one and just put it in their pocket!