Bank insists I wear a mask

9 hours ago, eisfeld said:

No one is forcing you to wear a mask for the rest of your life, where did you get that idea from?

When do you foresee people here will stop wearing masks? I wore them like a good boy and had my vaccines as told, but now it is no longer a pandemic I've done my bit for society. If people are scared of getting a cold we will never move on here. I had a meal/a beer with some Thai friends last week. The guy sat next to me told me he had covid the day after. Am I worried? No. 

26 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Masks are mostly used in Asia due to air pollution, so masking up for COVID was no big deal for most.

If I want to know if I'm COVID-infectious, I'll use an ATK kit. Then self-isolate until I am negative, as a courtesy to others.

I apply common sense to wearing a mask. I won't wear one on a golf course, or exercising. If a bank wants me to wear one, no big deal.

I understand the pollution argument, but that really only applies in the big towns and cities. Thais wear a mask even in the deep countryside where the air is fine. You may apply common sense but, as we all know, that is absent here in the locals. Like wearing a mask but no helmet on a motorcycle.

11 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

There was debate on this forum on that at the time. Just because some low-level bureaucrat is reported as saying that, doesn't make it so. Look at the articles from June, it's very clear that all mask-wearing rules were abolished.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/wearing-face-masks-is-now-voluntary-in-thailand/

As per your own link, outdoors and in public places.  That does not apply to private business premises.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

IMHO I did set a good example by politely declining to be bossed around by someone making up their own rules without any authority.

Your opinion, but you didn't set a good example at all as you don't give a hoot about the people surrounding you. 

Presumably, all those other people around him would have been wearing a mask so they should have no issue and he does not, therefore, need to give a hoot.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, happydays said:

My local bank wouldn’t serve me until I put on a mask. I thought it was voluntary - has this changed?

The bank is a private business.
The bank can and does require mask wearing. 
You are free to not wear a mask.

The Bank is free to decline to serve you if you don’t wear a mask.

Your choice wear a mask receive service, refuse and get refused.

You can not force any company to provide service.

The vast majority of government offices continue to require masks.

The vast majority continue to wear masks.

It seems to be a bit of a trend after the viral video of the uncle on the sky train. A bus conductor told me to wear a mask today so I said 'mai mee' so she went away, came back and gave me one, to which I replied 'mai aow'. She rolled her eyes at another passenger but then left me alone.

It's definitely not the law so i assume there's a little online movement to try to get these filthy farangs into line. Best just to ignore them if you can. The law is on your side.

Covid is spreading again across Thaiand.

Two of my granddaughters go to same bi-lingual school here in Chiang Mai. A week ago they came home with a notice with some details about covid 19 spreading again and saying as of the next day masks are compulsory all day.

Note also asked parents who have supplies of the quick test use them every morning before they bring their kids to school. Test day kids came home with a box of quick tests.

Son is doing just that. He's just mentioned the day he took his kids to school there was acheck at the gate, every car & m/cycle stopped and a teacher asked if they have masks in the car if the kids not actually wearing them. Kids walking in if no mask on being asked if they have mask in their bag. If so put it on now. 

Keep in mind that shops/offices can insist on customers wearing masks. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

If 99.99% of the people in a place wear a mask, then put on a mask as well.
Stop being the unwanted foreigner in Thailand who shows his superiority.
Otherwise, use your tiny brains and stay away from Thailand.
And, keep your stupid replies to yourself.
They have no value for me or anyone living in Thailand.

It seems to be a bit of a trend after the viral video of the uncle on the sky train. A bus conductor told me to wear a mask today so I said 'mai mee' so she went away, came back and gave me one, to which I replied 'mai aow'. She rolled her eyes at another passenger but then left me alone.

It's definitely not the law so i assume there's a little online movement to try to get these filthy farangs into line. Best just to ignore them if you can. The law is on your side.

Idiot

• Like 2

They certainly could not as the law is very clear that mask wearing on public transport is voluntary.

IMHO I did set a good example by politely declining to be bossed around by someone making up their own rules without any authority.

It’s also called respect in the country you are visiting. Please don’t say you are living here????

Edited by PB172111
  • Like 1

Thais are mostly brainwashed thoroughly, which explains their attitude to literally almost everything. Underwear is not hung at the same height as the rest of the laundry, Wednesday is "no hairdresser day" and after the constant and immense hammering of Covid, Covid and Covid again ....... no wonders there. 

I saw people in a hotel swimming pool wearing a (completely soaked) mask, most scooter drivers do not wear helmets but masks. Why is that? They don't know but as they have been brought up like sheep following the herd's ram .......... 

Not asking questions, no querying anything has put the country into today's position and if you insist on dancing on one leg to access a department store ....... you might be surprised, how many would follow suit. 

Either put on the mask, use a different branch or change the bank altogether. They don't care so do whatever suits you best! 

24 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Thais are mostly brainwashed thoroughly, which explains their attitude to literally almost everything. Underwear is not hung at the same height as the rest of the laundry, Wednesday is "no hairdresser day" and after the constant and immense hammering of Covid, Covid and Covid again ....... no wonders there. 

Completely different to the West?

I saw people in a hotel swimming pool wearing a (completely soaked) mask,

Probably kids.

most scooter drivers do not wear helmets but masks. Why is that? They don't know but as they have been brought up like sheep following the herd's ram .......... 

They use them to stop pollution. They are less stupid than you give them credit for.

Not asking questions, no querying anything has put the country into today's position and if you insist on dancing on one leg to access a department store ....... you might be surprised, how many would follow suit. 

Either put on the mask, use a different branch or change the bank altogether. They don't care so do whatever suits you best! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pomchop said:

you got that right...recent visit to immigration and masks were required...i did not see one person try to argue the point as i suspect they would have been sent back outside...of course the place was packed tight as sardines  with very poor ventilation which should be an indication to most normal people that wearing a mask in a crowded room with people from all over the world might not be a bad idea at all....

And did half the seats at your immigration office have X's placed on them? Personally speaking, it is supposedly being offered up as sacrificial lambs on the high altar of Social Distancing through being forced, despite seating being available but unusable, to stand on our feet for ages in crowded immigration offices, banks, etc, regardless of whatever physical disabilities we might be suffering from, that gets my goat far more than having to wear a mask in those particular establishments!

12 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Wow you're so nice..

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:

Great! Haven't read such an original comment for a few weeks.

It may lack originality but he has a point.

I must admit if I was moaning all the time about a minor irritation in Thailand, I would question whether I was in the right place.

If it was a major irritation then I would know I was definitely not in the right place.

• Like 1

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:

Then why didn't they wear them before Covid? And don't say they did, because they didn't.

Quite obviously once they started wearing masks routinely they realized that they are quite useful and did stop a lot of pollution. Humans are remarkable like that, they can learn from experience.