Bank insists I wear a mask

13 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Yes, as long as they provide one for you.  I was at Harborland in Terminal 21 (Pattaya) last week and they insisted on mask wearing.  There was a member of staff walking around handing them out to? all the non-mask wearers, most of whom took one and just put it in their pocket!

There's a Harbor Land in T21? Like a playground?

6 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

There's a Harbor Land in T21? Like a playground?

The new Terminal 21 on Rama 3 in Bangkok has a Harborland play area that just opened up. Not sure where Brewster went.

Edited by ThailandRyan

9 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

No. You are not obliged, legally or morally.????????

Yes you are. Simply do a search about wearing masks on public transport in Thailand.

9 hours ago, sandyf said:

The height of selfishness.

Anyone has the right to protect themselves and keep the likes of you out of their personal space.

My neice is a junior doctor at a hospital in a fairly rural area and is telling us several have died recently at her hospital from covid, wants us to get another vaccination.

Only the delusional think it is over and highly likely masks will become mandatory again.

On Monday 28th November my 18 year old son and all his class mates were off school for the the day. The reason was so that there school room could be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected as 5 of the 40 in the class had caught Covid.

They still all wear masks at the school.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I don't think the Thais actually hate us, more like a strong dislike, but there are quite a few farangs that deserve it.

Surprised to read a post like that from you Bill, have you been on the Thai whiskey. ????????????

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Surprised to read a post like that from you Bill, have you been on the Thai whiskey. ????????????

I had 1 shot of whisky and soda last NYE and threw most of it away. Other than that I haven't had an alcoholic drink in 2 1/2 years.

I quit when I realsised I was drinking 3 or 4 bottles of Hong Thong a week.

Edited by billd766
added extra text
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Yes you are. Simply do a search about wearing masks on public transport in Thailand.

On Monday 28th November my 18 year old son and all his class mates were off school for the the day. The reason was so that there school room could be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected as 5 of the 40 in the class had caught Covid.

They still all wear masks at the school.

No. Repeat No.

You are not obliged.

Read the defenition of obliged.

Thailand makes it own stories, incliding  your obliged up.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Thais don't hate me. For three months nobody mentioned it, nobody avoided sitting or standing next to me on public transport, everyone was happy to work with me, chat with me and serve me, even kiss me (and more). If Thais hate anyone it's miserable old farts who think they're entitled to tell other people what to wear.

Agreed. Thai's don't hate me.

49 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

He was in Pattaya T21, will have to go see.

Yes sir, I missed the (Pattaya) in the parenthesis.......sometimes my vision gives me issues.......must be from the coffee I spewed out my nose onto the lenses of my glasses......

2 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Maybe because smashing your head onto the pavement is not a virally spreading disease?

True, but 20,000 people die each year on Thai roads and a lot of that is due to inconsiderate drivers. Clearly more lives would be save by doing something about these inconsiderate drivers than by harrassing supposedly inconsiderate non-mask wearers.

• Haha 2

Just now, edwardandtubs said:

True, but 20,000 people die each year on Thai roads and a lot of that is due to inconsiderate drivers. Clearly more lives would be save by doing something about these inconsiderate drivers than by harrassing supposedly inconsiderate non-mask wearers.

No one is harassing anyone about being an inconsiderate mask wearer, just be a good boy an play the game like it's meant to be and wear one when asked.  It's only for a few minutes in the bank, or a few stops on the bus, and then you can bin the mask the good lady wanted to give you.....easy peasy.  No use getting your hackles up

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

No one is harassing anyone about being an inconsiderate mask wearer, just be a good boy an play the game like it's meant to be and wear one when asked.  It's only for a few minutes in the bank, or a few stops on the bus, and then you can bin the mask the good lady wanted to give you.....easy peasy.  No use getting your hackles up

Personally, I'm happy to let the bus conductor roll her eyes, which is all that's happened to me in 3 months of non-mask wearing in Thailand.

1 hour ago, edwardandtubs said:

What about [insert random other problem]?

And don't you think classifying what happened as "harassing" is a bit oversensitive? ????

Edited by eisfeld
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

That isn't how tourism works. 

As Queen Victoria used to say 'make every country England' 

Neither the OP, nor edwardandtubs nor probably every other guy in this thread are tourists though.

And even as a tourist I try to observe and conform to local cutoms as far as I reasonably can. It's just a matter of respecting the hosts. I don't walk shirtless into a temple and make a fuss because staff tell me I have to wear something that fits their required dress code.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

I try to observe and conform to local cutoms as far as I reasonably can.

Same here. That's why I used an agent to facilitate my 'retirement visa' and is why I break as many laws as I think I can get away with. Oh, and I keep a nice big wedge in my pocket because money talks here. 500 baht and a wai ????????????

Here's my take.  I keep one in my pocket.
If asked to wear one, I smile and comply.  Easy breezy.  Play along to get along.

However, I find that most places I now shop at don't have any 'heavies' at the door insisting on compliance.  That goes for Big-C and Makro.  The banks?  Depends on the bank.  My last trip to BKK Bank I wore one until I came across a maskless gal at one of the front desks.  So mine came off.  My SCB branch has always been overly cautious imho.  I'll wear it around my neck.  If asked, I put it on; if not, I don't.  I don't see any reason to push it, but my philosophy is that eventually someone has to break the inbred fear response.  I'm not afraid of Covid any more than any other of the upper respiratory diseases we used to simply call "a cold" or "the flu."  And BTW, the only masks that actually work are P-100 or sealed air recyclers.  My favorite are the "high so" plastic face shields that at moth or fly can fly though.  Yeah - that's gonna stop a virus <laughs>.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Mask wearing isn't cultural!  Plenty of Thais have stopped wearing them and some cautious non-Thais still wear them.

Yes it is. 

Take a trip to market Village Huahin and look who is wearing masks and who isn't