Thaksin’s Homecoming Bid May Fall Through Without Help From Kingmaker

webfact

image.jpeg

Deputy Prime Minister/Palang Pracharath Party leader Prawit Wongsuwan, left, and former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, right. Photo: Thai Rath

Analysis

By Out-Crowd

THE LONG-COVETED DESIGN OF de facto Pheu Thai Party boss Thaksin Shinawatra to return home after years in self-exile overseas alongside his sister Yingluck Shinawatra, both having been previously deposed as prime ministers in separate coups, may entirely fall through without help from kingmaker Prawit Wongsuwan.

Thaksin and Yingluck who have been reportedly residing in Dubai following the 2006 and 2014 coups which had overthrown them as head of an elected government respectively could not come back home after a general election expected early next year only if Prawit, top leader of the ruling Palang Pracharath Party and a deputy prime minister, did nothing to help make their shared dream come true, according to political observers.

Thaksin has time and again lamented the event in which he was deprived of power in the 2006 coup orchestrated by the likes of the then-army chief Sonthi Boonyaratkalin, followed by the 2014 coup orchestrated by the then-army chief Prayut Chan-o-cha to depose the woman prime minister. More often than not Thaksin has publicly repeated his much-heralded prediction of the Pheu Thai, a resurrection of the dissolved Thai Rak Thai Party and People’s Power Party, scoring a landslide victory in the nationwide election which could probably pave way for his planned homecoming so that, he said, he could literally babysit seven grandchildren.

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2022/12/05/analysis-thaksins-homecoming-bid-may-fall-through-without-help-from-kingmaker/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2022-12-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Only fair if the coup makers and their string pullers are in the adjacent cells wouldn't you agree?

I'm not familiar with the current situation, therefore I can't speak on that. In my opinion he needs to stand trial for what he did regardless of what someone else did or didn't do! 

• Love It 1

32 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

Trumped up charges??? He did sell AIS for 2 billion dollars and didn't pay taxes on that by gifting it first to his housekeeper, who then in turn gifted the money to his children. 

He found a tax loophole and exploited it,ALL Billionaires do exactly the same Warren Buffett included!

Edited by Phnom Penh Trader
Autocorrected!
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, pacovl46 said:

Why? Because he's as corrupt as they come and he needs to pay for what he did, just like everyone else! 

Please tell us all how many generals have been charged with treason for overthrowing any legally elected government?

Then I might consider what you say about Thaksin is valid.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, daveAustin said:

Agree 100%, or else they should button it. Never understood the abject hatred for the man and yet people are happy to have things as they are; all votes stolen. Nowt as queer as folk. 

Having Thanatorn running things would certainly be the best thing for Thailand, but would upset many. He’s too straight. 

They should be upset. Should be confronted. Should disappear. Should appear only  in history books as the people whose selfishness imoverished Thai lives for generations.

10 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

I'm not familiar with the current situation, therefore I can't speak on that. In my opinion he needs to stand trial for what he did regardless of what someone else did or didn't do! 

So you know all about events of 14 years ago but nothing about the current Govt? Just to enlighten you, in Thailand staging a coup is illegal.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1