Safe way to get from Siem Reap airport to the city?

coralia

1 hour ago, coralia said:

Thank you. It's not dangerous to take a taxi alone?

Not at all.

The main danger in Cambodia is having things snatched by thieves on the street - cameras, phones etc, anything you may have out that someone can zoom by on a motorcycle and grab.

On 12/7/2022 at 3:15 PM, Sheryl said:

Not at all.

The main danger in Cambodia is having things snatched by thieves on the street - cameras, phones etc, anything you may have out that someone can zoom by on a motorcycle and grab.

????

Not everywhere all the tome but it does happen occasionally.

From your qurstions you have an exaggerated sense of the dangers. Just use common sense. And observe the locals. Don't walk down a deserted street at night; a street full of people is fine. 

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Not everywhere all the tome but it does happen occasionally.

From your qurstions you have an exaggerated sense of the dangers. Just use common sense. And observe the locals. Don't walk down a deserted street at night; a street full of people is fine. 

I don't go out at night.

But I am an older woman travelling alone and I want to feel safe. I like walking around a lot. And I have never been to Cambodia.

• Like 2

On 12/7/2022 at 7:11 PM, coralia said:

Thank you. It's not dangerous to take a taxi alone?

Arrange for the hotel to pick you up, might be a bit more expensive but you'll be met with your name on a signboard at the airport.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

9 minutes ago, coralia said:

I don't go out at night.

But I am an older woman travelling alone and I want to feel safe. I like walking around a lot. And I have never been to Cambodia.

I am also an older woman and feel very comfortable walking around alone in Cambodia. One of the easiest countries for a woman on her own. Just take sensible precautions as previously described. Big vulnerability for women is handbag/purse. Either

-  don't carry one when out walking. Use money belt or the like (but do have photocopy of uour psssport, heslth insurance detsils and   emergency Contact with you)

Or

Carry the purse but remove valuables (passport, credit/debit cards) first and carry only what cash you need for the moment . Likewise have passport photocopy etc though. In case you have an accident (see below)

Your biggest risk is not crime. It is traffic accidents including as a pedestrian (I have scars to prove it). Be very careful on that score. Don't assume motorcycles and cars will stop for you, even in a crosswalk. In fact assume they will head straight for you at top speed. Sometimes while on wrong side of the road.  Stay well on sidewalk wherever there is one (but still beware of motos, they won't hesitate to drive on sidewalk).

And make sure you have good health  insurance at least for energrncies/accidents. 

• Thumbs Up 1

P.S. Cambodia has Grab taxis so download that app if you don't already have it.  They are very  inexpensive and safer than motorcycle taxis and "tuk tuks".  Fares will show in local currency but if you don't have  you can pay in dollars(small bills only) 4000 riel = 1 US $.

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I am also an older woman and feel very comfortable walking around alone in Cambodia. One of the easiest countries for a woman on her own. Just take sensible precautions as previously described. Big vulnerability for women is handbag/purse. Either

-  don't carry one when out walking. Use money belt or the like (but do have photocopy of uour psssport, heslth insurance detsils and   emergency Contact with you)

Or

Carry the purse but remove valuables (passport, credit/debit cards) first and carry only what cash you need for the moment . Likewise have passport photocopy etc though. In case you have an accident (see below)

Your biggest risk is not crime. It is traffic accidents including as a pedestrian (I have scars to prove it). Be very careful on that score. Don't assume motorcycles and cars will stop for you, even in a crosswalk. In fact assume they will head straight for you at top speed. Sometimes while on wrong side of the road.  Stay well on sidewalk wherever there is one (but still beware of motos, they won't hesitate to drive on sidewalk).

And make sure you have good health  insurance at least for energrncies/accidents. 

Same as in Thailand.....

49 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Actually in terms of accidents it is much worse

The "driving" is indescribably bad

Though at least in Siem Reap not as heavy traffic as in Phnom Penh

Much worse???...

Thailand is horrible. My mother was hit by a car on a pedestrian crossing right in the centre of Chiang Mai, back in 2005. I pulled her at the last minute and she "only" had a broken leg... otherwise she would have been dead right then and there. 

38 minutes ago, coralia said:

Much worse???...

Thailand is horrible. My mother was hit by a car on a pedestrian crossing right in the centre of Chiang Mai, back in 2005. I pulled her at the last minute and she "only" had a broken leg... otherwise she would have been dead right then and there. 

Yes I know. And yes, Cambodia is much worse. drive on any side of the road, any time, and are less skilled in driving than the Thais (the Thais are reckless but usually skilled).

I was slammed into by a motorcycle at too speed walking across a crosswalk in clear daylight. When I started across, there was nit a vehicle within 200 meters of the crosswalk. They were all stopped at a red ,light some ways up, and they all clearly saw me. When their light changed, came down at breakneck speed and ploughed right into me.

I was lucky to get away with only 3 fractures, 2 surgeries and 2 weeks in hospital. The moto which hit tme's passenger probably died.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Yes I know. And yes, Cambodia is much worse. drive on any side of the road, any time, and are less skilled in driving than the Thais (the Thais are reckless but usually skilled).

I was slammed into by a motorcycle at too speed walking across a crosswalk in clear daylight. When I started across, there was nit a vehicle within 200 meters of the crosswalk. They were all stopped at a red ,light some ways up, and they all clearly saw me. When their light changed, came down at breakneck speed and ploughed right into me.

I was lucky to get away with only 3 fractures, 2 surgeries and 2 weeks in hospital. The moto which hit tme's passenger probably died.

I'm not setting foot in that country ????????????

Better spend $$$ and go to Taiwan. Wonderful civilised country.

Thank you so much for sharing, Sheryl ???????????? Do take care of yourself!!!

On 12/8/2022 at 5:59 PM, zzzzz said:

if your concerned about getting between the airport in a major tourist city to town>
perhaps Cambodia is not for you

While I do agree with you, I have been mugged on the metro going into Athens from the airport.  It can happen anywhere so just be awake and aware of your surroundings.

• Love It 1

• 3 weeks later...

Road traffic in Cambodia is much more chaotic then in Thailand but slower because of road condition and total mess. No one is neglected on the road except big Lexus SUVs belonging to big shots.  Don't try to ride motorbike by yourself, and bicycle as well. Even been in Siem Reap, you'll certainly put off by the idea of walking - no country for pedestrians.

All that is left is to hire tuk tuk driver for about 20-30 per usd day. You can find lots of proposals in Siem Reap Facebook groups. Such a driver will meet you at the airport and then take you to Angkor Wat the next days.

addition

But you can simply choose the driver from the dozens of annoying idiots waiting for customers in and outside airport parking.

Edited by blanes2007
addition

Previously if you crossed the road any vehicle coming along would veer off to go behind you. That rarely happens now. So much more traffic in the last year or so. Where did it come from?

Krud giveaways?

I was in Koh Kong recently. There is a morning and afternoon rush hour when it is impossible to cross the two main streets safely.

Very few Cambodians wear spectacles. Maybe that is a contributing factor.

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, my friend I said:

I saw a family of four foreigners today, two kids about eight, walking four abreast along a busy road. Cars lined up behind them. But for how long.

Would they do that anywhere else?

Yes, I have often observed Chinese families walking 2/3/4 abreast on the narrow roads here in Patong, and despite going up behind them in my car and sounding the horn, they do nothing, so the best thing to do is to nudge forward gently and when they feel the wing mirrors on the car pushing against them, they get the message.

As Benny Hill would say, "Sirry Iriots".

Sorry, got off topic – – won't do it again!????