Dehydration continued reoccurrence.

Jenkins9039

Been here well over a decade, over the past few years, specifically the past two years.

I've at times, felt exhausted in the afternoon on occasion, generally when sitting watching the news, i'd lay down and watch on laptop, within ten minutes asleep, 2 hrs later at most wake feeling 'faintish', 'thirsty' etc.

Obviously i drink copious amounts of water (mixed in with other things - tea, coffee, etc).

If i consume straight water I don't come across tired or dehydrated.

I've never looked in to the science of such, in my mind coffee, tea includes water thus should be the same as drinking water, ergo no dehydration issues.

Anyone else gone through similar? or is it a symptom off perhaps too much caffeine (or an ingredient in such).

Coffee and alcohol are both diuretics, which means they do dehydrate. It depends on personal physiology, some people are more sensitive, age and other medications can also be involved.

IMO nothing wrong with napping in the afternoon if you feel like it, I do the same.

Dehydration can lead to cramps. If you are feeling faint, it may be because of a drop in blood pressure due to getting up from a prone position too quickly.

• Like 1

Anything with caffeine has a diuretic effect so easy to get dehydrated.

The best fluids for dehydration are water + rehydration salts (packets are available everywhere including 7-11) - make sure not to under-dilute. Adding more water than required is fine but don't add less (wouldn't taste very good if you did anyhow)

Equally good is green coconut water

And the blenderized lemon and orange juice drinks Thai style are also pretty good as salt is added

The point being to get not just water but also electrolytes

A lot of people do a mix of plain water and water+ rehydration salts during the day.

• Like 1

Have yourself some watermelon juice. I found this to be most helpful when hydrating along with celery juice as it is full of natural minerals.

A University of Naples study found that plant chemicals lutein and zeaxanthin - found in fruit such as watermelon and papaya - help hydrate twice as much as water.

• Like 1

The obvious answer is to consume more fluids. That said, sometimes when we're thirsty, it might not necessarily be an issue of not enough fluids, but a lack of electrolytes. Coconut water is great for replacing electrolytes and worth consuming each day. You can also get sachets of electrolytes at pharmacies to dissolve in water. They're cheap as chips.

5 hours ago, mstevens said:

The obvious answer is to consume more fluids. That said, sometimes when we're thirsty, it might not necessarily be an issue of not enough fluids, but a lack of electrolytes. Coconut water is great for replacing electrolytes and worth consuming each day. You can also get sachets of electrolytes at pharmacies to dissolve in water. They're cheap as chips.

Depends how much you are sweating, if in AC all day probably electrolytes aren't necessary. I have 2 a day when cycling or playing golf, other times i wouldn't bother. Some people may be trying to restrict salt due to blood pressure issues so check