Putin: Nuclear risk is rising, but we are not mad

webfact

image.jpeg
File photo. Source: Wikimedia

By Alys Davies
BBC News

Vladimir Putin has said the threat of a nuclear war was rising, but insisted Russia had not "gone mad" and would not use its nuclear weapons first.

The Russian president insisted that his country would only use weapons of mass destruction in response to an attack.

Speaking at Russia's annual human rights council meeting, he also said the war in Ukraine could be a "lengthy process".

Western officials believe Putin initially planned for a rapid victory.

Full story: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63893316

BBC.jpg

-- © Copyright BBC 2022-12-08
  • Haha 1

In all fairness, the war monger has no easy way out. Its either go full in with everything until he gets what he wants - or destroys the planet - OR he agrees a deal, but it would have so much money having to be repaid to the Ukraine as to make Russia poor for the next hundred years - which would then probably lead to a new communist uprising and more war

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

In all fairness, the war monger has no easy way out. Its either go full in with everything until he gets what he wants - or destroys the planet - OR he agrees a deal, but it would have so much money having to be repaid to the Ukraine as to make Russia poor for the next hundred years - which would then probably lead to a new communist uprising and more war

I think that all Western leaders have today enough wisdom to not sentence Russian people to poverty after the war. Even after WW2, there was a Marshall plan to reconstruct Europe. But one condition will be the de-Z-fication of Ruzzia, so a regime change seems inevitable if Russians don't want to live like North Korea in the next 25 years.

The situation is certainly complicated, with people like Medvedev, Prighozhyn and Kadyrov around Putin, I don't really see how the regime change could happen, it would take a massive uprising, but Ruzzians have proven again and again in the past years that they are cattle, and the progressist, educated people have left Ruzzia anyway, so who will lead that uprising ?

North Korea it is then.

• Haha 1

Let's hope that the sanctions on Russia work in the long term , Russia runs out of ammunition and financial support to continue their senseless war . Putin's plan of a victory and annexation of all of the Ukrainian territory within 10 days did not work out and now he finds himself engaged in a long and tiring war . If he will , in the long run , be able to continue this war with thousands of casualties for some more years will show ...  Hopefully there will be a regime change in Russia .

Edited by nobodysfriend
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Vladimir Putin has said the threat of a nuclear war was rising, but insisted Russia had not "gone mad"

You have gone Batsh$t crazy though

"I have already said and I want to repeat: Russia could be the only real guarantor of the territorial integrity and sovereignty of Ukraine within its current borders."

Yes he actually said that in his speech with reference to Poland possibly invading Ukraine in the future.........????

• Thumbs Up 1

This superfreak, serial killing dictator will say anything. Truth and integrity has never meant anything to him. He is insane and he is a madman. Let us hope his desperation does not cause him to do something far more irrational than invade Ukraine. 

• Thanks 1

From what I’ve read and heard the next thing I will watch for is how well Europe survives the winter with no Russian gas. Because coal and nuclear are not possible that leaves the forests. I understand that Europe’s forests have already begun to be cut down for fuel. I wonder how much will be left by April.

BASF, one of the largest if not the largest corporation in Germany, I believe has closed half its plant and is in the process of moving the other half to China.  I think they produce fertilizer. So the second thing I will be looking for is to see if Europe is able to grow any food next summer. Food is also being compromised by the Netherlands government’s actions toward 3000 Netherlands farmers. I imagine Ukraine’s wheat production has suffered from the war. Also India has already reduced its wheat exports in anticipation of needing more for themselves.

And whose side is China on when things really get ugly?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Or he just plain loses. Ukraine will be making more and more drones to attack deep into Russian territory.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Harveyg said:

From what I’ve read and heard the next thing I will watch for is how well Europe survives the winter with no Russian gas. Because coal and nuclear are not possible that leaves the forests. I understand that Europe’s forests have already begun to be cut down for fuel. I wonder how much will be left by April.

BASF, one of the largest if not the largest corporation in Germany, I believe has closed half its plant and is in the process of moving the other half to China.  I think they produce fertilizer. So the second thing I will be looking for is to see if Europe is able to grow any food next summer. Food is also being compromised by the Netherlands government’s actions toward 3000 Netherlands farmers. I imagine Ukraine’s wheat production has suffered from the war. Also India has already reduced its wheat exports in anticipation of needing more for themselves.

And whose side is China on when things really get ugly?

Not Russia's. China has not gone mad. They will not risk sanctions from Europe and the US. No way, no how. Xi has already warned Russia not to use nuclear weapons.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The Russian president insisted that his country would only use weapons of mass destruction in response to an attack.

Sounds like Putin and Chechnya all over again: plant bombs in buildings, blow up buildings, blame it on separatists, kill until all separatists are dead.

Putin would bomb Russian interests and blaim Ukraine to claim the right to retaliate harder against Ukraine. Chechnya 2.0

This is the beauty of nuclear weapons as a deterrent. It is insanity to use them on another nuclear-armed enemy because you know you will get the same in return and probably more. To use them is suicide, plain and simple.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Aussieroaming said:

More rhetoric from a desperate Russian loser. The sooner that Putin and his sycophants are terminated, the better for the world.

We gotta be careful here.

Some of the loudest critics of Putin are on the even crazier far right.

Were Putin to be toppled I fear It might be from that ultra crazy right wing, and God knows what that might bring!

• Like 1

is Russia really getting arms from China as noted? Their planes were spotted flying into a Chinese city that produces bombs. So is not western money in a round about route letting Russia gain more arms? I say no more to authoritarian countries. No more investment, co-operation with any of them. It will be a hard road but the free world must learn to rely on each other, damn the better prices offered by the Communists. We have to be strong and tell them to <deleted> off.

6 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

We gotta be careful here.

Some of the loudest critics of Putin are on the even crazier far right.

Were Putin to be toppled I fear It might be from that ultra crazy right wing, and God knows what that might bring!

That is a very similar scenario to the one the US faces right now with Trump. His potential replacements tout equally hateful and anti-democratic policies but are far scarier because they're far  cleverer than the maga nut.

• Like 1

nukes can happen at anytime as an accident, mistake, miscalculation, malfunction of some equipment.

as was the case with an accident which took place just few weeks after shooting of korean airplane in 1983

https://www.armscontrol.org/act/2017-10/news-briefs/man-saved-world-dies-77

But the longer that localised war lasts, the bigger chance for "accidents" or provocations, as might be the case with ukrainian missile on polish border.

that is step to a regional war in europe and the next step is 3ww, with all nuclear powers involved, and chances for a calculated nuke attack increase much higher.

some background in a recent article  

https://consortiumnews.com/2022/10/19/scott-ritter-nuclear-high-noon-in-europe/

Edited by internationalism

What that scumbag genocidal fascist is doing is obvious.

He is very threatened by Ukraine hitting high value military targets inside Russia as if Ukraine has any choice on the matter if they want to survive.

So he says they won't do first nuclear strike.

But it's still a direct threat because all that means is that if it happens he will do a false flag game and blame the other side for the first strike.

Caving to his threats is not an option. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 8:59 AM, Jingthing said:

What that scumbag genocidal fascist is doing is obvious.

He is very threatened by Ukraine hitting high value military targets inside Russia as if Ukraine has any choice on the matter if they want to survive.

So he says they won't do first nuclear strike.

But it's still a direct threat because all that means is that if it happens he will do a false flag game and blame the other side for the first strike.

Caving to his threats is not an option. 

Just one slight correction to this.

Ukraine is the only country in history that has ever voluntarily given up it's nuclear weapons. I suspect they may now be regretting that decision!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Just one slight correction to this.

Ukraine is the only country in history that has ever voluntarily given up it's nuclear weapons. I suspect they may now be regretting that decision!

and to add to that ... the west and the EU lied to Ukraine in that giving up it's nuclear weapons they guaranteed it's safety & security,  well that never happened did it  !!  

He'll never trust the west again and one couldn't blame him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1