Chiang Mai "expat supermarket" like Siamburis?

ed79

Hi all, is there a Chiang Mai equivalent to the Siamburis (https://expatfoodsthailand.com/) in Pattaya?

I found somewhere called greens.co.th that looked promising, but they don't stock some of the stuff I wanted, or their prices are significantly higher, or they have out of date stock (like 3 months past sell buy date).

I went through Greens website trying to add stuff to my basket for delivery but due to the above I'm struggling to find enough items to make it worth ordering.

20 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

What products are you looking for ?, can you not find them in RimPing ,Tops ?

Regards Worgeordie

I don't have transport.  There's a small-ish Tops within walking distance but I haven't seen much of what I'm looking for.

Specifically when in Pattaya I'd order about 2 weeks worth of stuff which could be kept in the freezer then warmed up in the oven.  I've just got an air fryer so can now do something similar here in CM:-

Greggs chicken bakes

Bowmans Pies

Frozen chips / wedges / croquet's

Stuffed chicken breast

Chicken Kievs

Frozen veg

UK gravy / tea bags / chocolate and cakes

I also liked the Chefs Kitchen frozen pizzas but sadly they're too big to fit in my new air fryer ????

In my experience some of the above was available in Pattaya supermarkets but Siamburis was cheaper or same cost, and much easier to order home delivery with a few mouse clicks.

28 minutes ago, orchis said:

Rimping has a fine range of overpriced stuff if that's your fancy'.

Ah yes Rimping.  I always get them mixed up with Villa Market (both expensive I think?).  I tried the Villa Market in Pattaya and thought it was a complete dump.  Way way way worse than I'd expected.

I think there's a Rimping in Maya right?  If so I could try walking down there, although I'd still prefer online order with home delivery.  Also, in my experience Siamburis was cheaper than in-person shopping at supermarkets in Pattaya at least.

8 minutes ago, ed79 said:

I don't have transport.  There's a small-ish Tops within walking distance but I haven't seen much of what I'm looking for.

Specifically when in Pattaya I'd order about 2 weeks worth of stuff which could be kept in the freezer then warmed up in the oven.  I've just got an air fryer so can now do something similar here in CM:-

Greggs chicken bakes

Bowmans Pies

Frozen chips / wedges / croquet's

Stuffed chicken breast

Chicken Kievs

Frozen veg

I also liked the Chefs Kitchen frozen pizzas but sadly they're too big to fit in my new air fryer ????

In my experience some of the above was available in Pattaya supermarkets but Siamburis was cheaper or same cost, and much easier to order home delivery with a few mouse clicks.

A lot of that stuff is available in Makro, or on Lazada. As for stuffed chicken breasts.............stuff 'em yourself.

• Haha 1

Just now, KannikaP said:

A lot of that stuff is available in Makro, or on Lazada. As for stuffed chicken breasts.............stuff 'em yourself.

Ah yes thanks, before I came to CM I added Makro as a "place to visit" on googles maps but forgot about it.

I don't have bike or car but Makro is kinda within walking distance. I'd still prefer an online order and delivery though.

As to self-stuffing chicken breast I despise cooking.  And actually where I am in CM I don't have a kitchen so that's my excuse!

Joking aside I don't think my attempts would be as good as below and I wouldn't be surprised if it was cheaper to buy ready-made...

https://expatfoodsthailand.com/shop/frozen-food/prime-food-service/prime-chicken-breast-stuffed-cream-cheese-jalapeno/

https://expatfoodsthailand.com/shop/frozen-food/meat-poultry/prime-chicken-stuffed-with-cheese-broccolli/ 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ed79 said:

As to self-stuffing chicken breast I despise cooking.  And actually where I am in CM I don't have a kitchen so that's my excuse!

So what are you going to do with any food you buy online, Lotus's, Makro, Tops, Siambury's  etc etc?

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

So what are you going to do with any food you buy online, Lotus's, Makro, Tops, Siambury's  etc etc?

I have a fridge/freezer and a sink on the balcony.  That's it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ed79 said:

I have a fridge/freezer and a sink on the balcony.  That's it.

There is a shop called Britishop in Ban Lamung, and I believe that they can ship to anywhere in Thailand.

https://britishop.com/shop?utm_source=google&utm_medium=adwords&gclid=CjwKCAiAs8acBhA1EiwAgRFdw8qWD3lkH5V5sqGUAF7j2YGM63Lzv_C4NnGaFCXIdPzD8CMFIl0f6BoCOwYQAvD_BwE

I am not sure if is of any help to you, but they do have a large selection of stock.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

There is a shop called Britishop in Ban Lamung, and I believe that they can ship to anywhere in Thailand.

https://britishop.com/shop?utm_source=google&utm_medium=adwords&gclid=CjwKCAiAs8acBhA1EiwAgRFdw8qWD3lkH5V5sqGUAF7j2YGM63Lzv_C4NnGaFCXIdPzD8CMFIl0f6BoCOwYQAvD_BwE

I am not sure if is of any help to you, but they do have a large selection of stock.

Yeah I did have a look at them, thanks.  But as you say it would need delivering from Pattaya area.  I hoped someone entrepreneurial might have started the same kind of thing locally here.

Siamburis (aka expatfoodsthailand) also deliver to Chiang Mai.  Of the two I think Siamburis have better range & prices.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Looks good, cheers.

• Like 1

Note to op....

All Rim Pings are not the same....You might want to invest some time exploring the ones around you....

Some have full butcher & bakery counters with good food assortment & services to match....

Others are like a mini Rim Ping+......

You might have to pick and choose through a few stores given your cooking, transport, and storage limitations....

Check out the CM FB expat groups as there's a few farang specialized food vendors....Almost everything can be delivered....

You might also want to consider a microwave, elec. oven, or other (electric) preparation options....

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Note to op....

All Rim Pings are not the same....You might want to invest some time exploring the ones around you....

Some have full butcher & bakery counters with good food assortment & services to match....

You might have to pick and choose through a few stores given your cooking, transport, and storage limitations....

Check out the CM FB expat groups as there's a few farang specialized food vendors....Almost everything can be delivered....

You might also want to consider a microwave, elec. oven, or other (electric) preparation options....

Thanks, I've been in CM for a month but just today got an air fryer, so I can cook "food from home" type stuff again.  Apartment already included fridge, microwave, kettle and toaster.

Pattaya had Siamburis, The Pantry and the Britshop mentioned above that all did free home delivery.  Looks like CM doesn't really have anything comparable.  I will ask on Facebook though ????

On 12/8/2022 at 5:47 AM, ed79 said:

Yeah I did have a look at them, thanks.  But as you say it would need delivering from Pattaya area.  I hoped someone entrepreneurial might have started the same kind of thing locally here.

Siamburis (aka expatfoodsthailand) also deliver to Chiang Mai.  Of the two I think Siamburis have better range & prices.

What is your hesitation in ordering from the place you like (Siamburis) since they deliver to CM?  Is it just the shipping fee?

10 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Note to op....

i have been to most every Rimping---and other comments aside, they are pretty well stocked--but, it should not come as a surprise to buy more western foods is going to be more expensive.  I have been to the Rimping Nim Daley, the River Ping, the old Promenada Rimping, MaeChoke, and one other, the name used escapes me, it is the smallest of them all, and one of the original stores, and it might be the only one which does not have a butcher shop and bakery section--are there other "mini-rimpings" about elsewhere in CM?  Also, there is the supermarket on bottom floor of Central Festival, fairly expensive, and the closest to Villas--but nothing here compares in selection, and in high cost to the Gourmet Supermarkets in bkk, found at Siam Paragon, and other high end malls.  Tops in Central Airport is also good.

From your situation, Central Market here, and Tops, I think, will deliver, but u will have to wait--if on a budget, Makkro, is chaotic and busy and large, but has good prices--maybe best to go there, stock up and pay a bus or driver outside to take you home.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ed79 said:

UK Gravy is in Makro.

Tea bags, best to buy on Lazada, 'Food Variety' usually have Typhoo Tea @99bht/100.

Chocolate, again Lazada, just got some 'Fruit and Nut' from 'Food Variety' 150bht for 180gm bars.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/9/2022 at 7:33 AM, SammyJ said:

I have been to the Rimping Nim Daley, the River Ping, the old Promenada Rimping, MaeChoke, and one other, the name used escapes me,

The name of nearly every one seemingly escapes you. NimCity, Nawarat, you actually got Promenada right and Meechok. Other branches - Kad Farang, Maya, San Sai and Mae Hia. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/10/2022 at 9:53 AM, lordblackader said:

The name of nearly every one seemingly escapes you. NimCity, Nawarat, you actually got Promenada right and Meechok. Other branches - Kad Farang, Maya, San Sai and Mae Hia. 

Sorry. if they are incorrect--I was calling them by the names my Thai driver said they were, so i assumed he knew correctly.

I did name them in an attempt to upset you?!

Edited by SammyJ