Buying Gold.

Anyone got any advice about buying gold? I know to go to China Town. As a beginner, what is the most I should  spend at a time? How often should I buy? Should I rent a deposit box? Are there any topics about buying gold on this forum?

Thanks.

I wouldn't buy gold again unless it was jewelry,  chain say. 

I would buy however it if it was 12,000 for a baht gold when I last bought some. ????

Now it's so expensive I wish Thailand would do 9ct jewelry. 

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I wouldn't buy gold again unless it was jewelry,  chain say. 

I would buy however it if it was 12,000 for a baht gold when I last bought some. ????

Now it's so expensive I wish Thailand would do 9ct jewelry. 

9ct gold is not gold. I would buy bars of gold. You lose less when selling here in Thailand. 

• Haha 2

Point

In my experience the bid/ask spread is low especially if you compare to Singapore etc.

Point

I believe the dealers' association invoked some kind of minimum investment a few years ago, maybe something like 100,000 baht. ICBW

I personally recommend you investigate the gold shops on Charoen Krung, at a minimum a cultural experience.  Oh,  get your grams and bahts and exchange rates straight in your head beforehand. 

Edited by Ali Katz

19 minutes ago, rwill said:

Just be aware that the gold bars in the jewelry stores here are almost always 96.5% not 99.9%.  

I guess when the idea is to buy and sell in Thailand then that is perfectly fine.

But how about if I would buy such a "Thai" gold bar here and later I would want to sell it in Europe. Could I sell it in Europe for the "correct" amount?

If not, is it also possible to buy gold 99.9% in Thailand for a competitive price?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Maybe paying tax and duties when importing it in the other country?

Sell it here and take the money with you.

Nothing to gain on selling gold in other countries, because gold prices is international. If you have quality local design jewelry, there can be money made in Europe depending what buyers is willing to pay above the gold value of course. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

Anyone got any advice about buying gold? I know to go to China Town. As a beginner, what is the most I should  spend at a time? How often should I buy? Should I rent a deposit box? Are there any topics about buying gold on this forum?

Thanks.

My wife has some Kruegerrand gold coins that she inherited from her mother in law . I think she would sell them ( they are in a safebox in a Chiang Mai bank ) , if the price is right ...

image.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, nobodysfriend said:

My wife has some Kruegerrand gold coins that she inherited from her mother in law . I think she would sell them ( they are in a safebox in a Chiang Mai bank ) , if the price is right ...

image.jpeg

I have been told that a deposit box is very hard to rent in Thailand, even in Bangkok, especially for a farang.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Ali Katz said:

Point

In my experience the bid/ask spread is low especially if you compare to Singapore etc.

Point

I believe the dealers' association invoked some kind of minimum investment a few years ago, maybe something like 100,000 baht. ICBW

I personally recommend you investigate the gold shops on Charoen Krung, at a minimum a cultural experience.  Oh,  get your grams and bahts and exchange rates straight in your head beforehand. 

Where is Charoen Krung, in Bangkok? What does ICBW stand for?

I have bought and sold Thai gold, only here. It's best to buy from an established gold shop.

Like others, I have found renting a safe deposit here just too difficult. The burglar that could find my gold would have to be very imaginative.

Most shops charge a commission, there's not much profit to be had without a substantial price movement.

I have gold and silver holdings in Australia, can't say I have seen a trader selling silver bullion here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Timing is everything. Although the gold price is

volatile, to make meaningful profits one needs

to buy the dips. Essentially, the gold price today

is where it was ten years ago, so not much of an

investment return for someone who bought in

There is an argument that it is a store of value.

This may be true, but there's an opportunity cost

from holding it, which tends to be forgotten about.

There is no coupon on gold.

Undoubtedly, there will be a price spike at some

stage in the future. Best to be holding shares, in

that case, which are highly leveraged to the gold

price, and where the real money is made.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Er.....there's a contradiction here........

I tried a few banks and none had boxes and none knew where they were available so I have up the search.

Edited by Dazinoz

36 minutes ago, allanos said:

Timing is everything. Although the gold price is

volatile, to make meaningful profits one needs

to buy the dips. Essentially, the gold price today

is where it was ten years ago, so not much of an

investment return for someone who bought in

There is an argument that it is a store of value.

This may be true, but there's an opportunity cost

from holding it, which tends to be forgotten about.

There is no coupon on gold.

Undoubtedly, there will be a price spike at some

stage in the future. Best to be holding shares, in

that case, which are highly leveraged to the gold

price, and where the real money is made.

I don't remember gold in 2012 being 30,000 +.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

I don't remember gold in 2012 being 30,000 +.

It popped just over $1,900 per ounce in August 2011.

However, USDTHB was 29.90, so the price for one baht of gold here would have been roughly 28,000 THB.

Currencies make gold interesting. While gold was experiencing a decline in price in USD, in other currencies it was either flat or actually up (up a lot in some weak currencies). I never think of gold as an "investment". It is not. Gold is an insurance policy against insane governments or central banks. You should own an amount that can help you survive a crisis. It can help with inflation over the long term, but I think there are better vehicles for that purpose.

• Thumbs Up 1