Buying Gold.

6 minutes ago, pikao said:

A KR has 22 Karat

Thailand has it's gold content values,  I wish they had more as there craftsmanship is excellent.

America has a 14ct trade not sure what else. 

England has 9, 18 and 22 yellow, 

9 white, 18 white, 18 red.

Don't know about other countries. 

9ct makes jewelry more affordable to buy now that gold is at such a high price. 

Some experts are predicting Bitcoin will be 1 million dollars by 2030.  Maybe look at that.

Bitcoin is widely considered to be a flagship for other innovations in the crypto space. For this reason, all other cryptocurrencies are collectively referred to as altcoins. Cathie Wood, the star fund manager of ARK Investment Management, predicts that Bitcoin's price could exceed $1 million by 2030.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Some experts are predicting Bitcoin will be 1 million dollars by 2030.  Maybe look at that.

Bitcoin is widely considered to be a flagship for other innovations in the crypto space. For this reason, all other cryptocurrencies are collectively referred to as altcoins. Cathie Wood, the star fund manager of ARK Investment Management, predicts that Bitcoin's price could exceed $1 million by 2030.

I have around 0.4 BTC and a few other cryptos. Everything I have been reading there is a good chance BTC won't be around for the long haul. Why? A couple reasons. One is that BTC doesn't really have much practical use except as a "store of value" if you can say that. Many of the newer cryptos have a "utility" use and some should be around a long time. One is XRP is being adopted to aid/replace SWIFT and has already been adopted by many major banks around the world including the CommBank of Australia. Bank of America has stated it will partner with Ripple and use XRP when the Ripple/Sec court case ends which is predicted very soon. The second possible nail in the coffin is energy consumption. Apparently the EU is trying to get BTC banned because of power consumption in mining.

Just my 20 bahts worth as I am no expert.

• Like 1

Interesting debate this.

Since the beginning of this year I've been adding a gram every month, The reason that I've started this year and not in the previous 14 years I've been here, is simply the uncertainty of world events.

If there is a serious escalation of the Ukraine conflict (as eg), worldwide investment money, would get out of currencies and into assets that would be considered to hold their own in a world crash.

Imagine the situation if we were unable to transfer money to Thailand or even get baht out of an ATM! The humble gram of gold would allow purchases to be made and work to be done.

Not so popular in Thailand is silver. Although bars of silver are now a decent buy to hold; and will be even more so in the future, they are not as transferable in everyday living. So for me it's small blobs of gold.

• Like 2

I have found researching certain gold mining companies, not fly by night ones to be very profitable.

I buy when they are low and sell when they are up, even as little as 3c can make me 10,000 baht in a day, naturally if it's higher then 3c the more to gain, but I am the type of investor who is in to collect the same day.

This way there is less risk of getting stuck with any stock (gold) included, pick the right mining stock and your on a winning streak, also doesn't mean you buy in everyday, you have to time it and most gold mining stocks have been down for a while, however are on the up now in my opinion.

Some pay dividends if your looking for a return on top of capital appreciation, that said, I will reiterate, I am only interested in getting in and out as quick as it rises and if you end up holding it overnight because it dropped slightly  and opens up on the rise in the morning, it's a great start to the day.

I know a guy who bought 250k of gold bars and they dropped after he purchased, I continued buying and selling gold shares and when comparing to the way I do things I am well ahead of him, that said, each to their own, there are risks with everything you do.

Best part about the gold shares as a non resident to my home country is that I don't pay any tax on dividends or capital gains.

In other words I am no longer a slave to the man.

3 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I have found researching certain gold mining companies, not fly by night ones to be very profitable.

I buy when they are low and sell when they are up, even as little as 3c can make me 10,000 baht in a day, naturally if it's higher then 3c the more to gain, but I am the type of investor who is in to collect the same day.

This way there is less risk of getting stuck with any stock (gold) included, pick the right mining stock and your on a winning streak, also doesn't mean you buy in everyday, you have to time it and most gold mining stocks have been down for a while, however are on the up now in my opinion.

Some pay dividends if your looking for a return on top of capital appreciation, that said, I will reiterate, I am only interested in getting in and out as quick as it rises and if you end up holding it overnight because it dropped slightly  and opens up on the rise in the morning, it's a great start to the day.

I know a guy who bought 250k of gold bars and they dropped after he purchased, I continued buying and selling gold shares and when comparing to the way I do things I am well ahead of him, that said, each to their own, there are risks with everything you do.

Best part about the gold shares as a non resident to my home country is that I don't pay any tax on dividends or capital gains.

I'm not normally drawn to 'gold shares'. But the PMC ounce got me thinking. In the US the metal mix can be delivered to you at your door. But here in Thailand?!

Is there any advantage to buying gold on the internet? It can be cheaper, but there is no relationship of good will being built up between a shop and yourself. I'm not talking chains and rings etc; but gold bars. Would a shop buy a piece that was bought on the internet?

For me the beauty of holding gold is that of safeguarding. If the US dollar crashes - which many annalists think is inevitable - it is predicted that most of the world's currencies will go the same way. Then gold in small amounts will be a saviour.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I have bought gold over a period of more than 20 years, and yes you sometimes buy for the wrong price.

But you have to see it in the long time.

I mention this before, about 25 years ago cost 1 bath gold in Thailand 5000 thb, now around 30000 thb.

3 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

I have bought gold over a period of more than 20 years, and yes you sometimes buy for the wrong price.

But you have to see it in the long time.

I mention this before, about 25 years ago cost 1 bath gold in Thailand 5000 thb, now around 30000 thb.

Yes, my wife has Thai gold, never wears it as she says whenever it comes a time, if ever, she will get more because it hasn't been worn, and of course appreciated over the past 15 years.

The above said, one could say she has made 3 times her money or a 300% increase in that time if she sold today, however I have worked out buying and selling has a higher percentage that holding it and of course, there are risks, pretty much the same as losing your gold if you ever took it out of the safe.

Why do I buy and sell, the same day, if I can, market risks, however typically in a climate like today, gold would benefit if the market crashed, but to me, there are too many influences on who controls what, so the in and out game works for me, in other words, I don't have the balls to sit it out with the amounts I invest, I suppose having the attitute of safer than sorry is better.

27 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

"gold would benefit if the market crashed,"

That's for me the main reason to buy gold, I try to exchange all my cash euro's for gold because I no longer have any faith in that currency, and in particular due to the fact that they want to quickly introduce a digital euro.

Yep, your on the money, once they control the food, then the energy and then the money, it's game over, but let's not get into any conspiracy theories, just let's  keep on buying gold, because the markets are going to crash, and hopefully we will continue to make while the hay shines.

• Thumbs Up 2

30 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Yep, your on the money, once they control the food, then the energy and then the money, it's game over, but let's not get into any conspiracy theories, just let's  keep on buying gold, because the markets are going to crash, and hopefully we will continue to make while the hay shines.

Crash would be good so i can buy a another gold chain as a present.

Also poorer people could afford to do the same if there was 9ct gold.

On 12/10/2022 at 5:08 PM, timendres said:

I also had a problem trying to get a safety deposit box at my bank to keep my gold in. The bank where I have had my savings account for the past ten years told me that I would either need to keep a deposit of five million baht, or buy insurance for a couple of million baht - to qualify for a safety deposit box with them. So it would cost more for me to open a safety deposit box than the value of the gold I would put in it.

I looked at the website at the above link, and at first glance it looked promising. However, there is one thing about this place that I find unsettling: They also offer (fairly expensive) insurance to insure the things that I would keep in the box.

Anyway, I will visit them - and ask them if any customer of theirs has ever taken out this insurance - and had to make a claim on it. If their boxes are broken into often enough for their customers to need insurance, then maybe I am better off just keeping my gold in my own safe at home.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BangkokHank said:

maybe I am better off just keeping my gold in my own safe at home.

The problem with safes is that robbers know they contain valuables.

Better to get a dummy safe and hide the gold and cash in a clothes drawer.

Ok! So you will lose the safe. A decent dummy one only costs a few thousand baht.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

The problem with safes is that robbers know they contain valuables.

Better to get a dummy safe and and hide the gold and cash in a clothes drawer.

Ok1 So you will lose the safe. But a decent dummy one only cost a few thousand baht.

Right. If I were a burglar, I would go right for the safe too. That being said, I did buy a good, expensive Chubb safe - and had it bolted to the floor. So hopefully that will help.

I would sure feel like an idiot if I had this good safe and I kept my cash and gold hidden somewhere else in my condo - and they found it there. Ha.

I have heard that the best place to hide valuables here would be in a book, as Thais would never look inside of a book.

Anyway, I'll keep thinking about my options and hopefully be able to outsmart the burglars.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, BangkokHank said:

Here's where I buy my gold:

https://www.huasengheng.com

I visited the www.

Is there an English version? Can't easily see it on their site. My Thai is not so good. I don't like to ask the site, and copying everything into 'Translate' is long-winded.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I visited the www.

Is there an English version? Can't easily see it on their site. My Thai is not so good. I don't like to ask the site, and copying everything into 'Translate' is long-winded.

I don't think there is an English version of that site. I just use it to see the prices, which you can see by just scrolling down a bit. The current buying and selling prices are 29,450 and 29,550 baht, respectively. Just memorize where those prices are on the screen and you will know which prices to look at whenever you want to check the prices. They also have an app that you can use to check prices on your phone.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

If you remember when you bought at 12k it also seemed expensive... I first bought at 8k... and it seemed expensive. 

I seem to remember it being 7k and a bit something for a baht gold in Nov 2000.

i paid 300 odd pounds for a neckless.

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

I visited the www.

Open the site on Google Chrome and you can translate it to many other languages,  sometimes I use it even to translate 'aseannow'

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

Open the site on Google Chrome and you can translate it to many other languages,  sometimes I use it even to translate 'aseannow'

That sounds like a very good idea.

I don't like Google Chrome as a rule. I use Firefox.

I've been buying gold online. But if this shop does good deals, I'll use them.