Airline refunded me to much for unused ticket!

Hummin

15 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

I believe that, if you are caught smoking on a flight, then you will be banned by all airlines. Maybe the same will apply if you refuse to refund the over-payment.

NB: In the UK you are guilty of theft in this case.

Im positive I had rights to refund regards my extras I pre-ordered. Even got it on black and white from chat with one of their agents I would get 100% refund. What would Uk law say about that when I had full flex tickets? 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I simply would not respond to them.  Guessing it was so long ago, your card has expired, been reissued, so they probably can't process it.  Even if not, you'd have to authorize, I would think.

Just ignore them.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Do what just about any company would do these days: find an excuse to not return it.  "Sorry, but it is not my policy to . . ." etc.  "My wife handles those things, but she'll be away for a few weeks."  "I fell off a horse last week and have no money." You get the picture. 

My doctor in the US sent me to a lab for some tests.  When checking in they told me my insurance might not cover it, so I should front them $150 just in case, and they will refund to me the unused amount.  Ok, maybe they will, but how much time and effort would that involve is anyone's guess.  I also suspect certain unscrupulous entities may delay such things because they see the customer is of a certain age, so maybe they will forget about it or die.  In your case maybe the airline will go out of business or be taken over.

Oh, and I went to a different lab, one with no "maybes" involved.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

To be true, that will not botter me, after all I gave them a second chance. Whatwould bother me, is my conscience because I always paid my bill, my taxes and never stole anything in my adult life. 

I guess I will pay up, because it is not worth it to not do it even I believe they have no legal rights to claim it back or can claim it back legaly. 

I understand where you are coming from, I feel the same way.

Problem is, there are just too many lowlifes out there as individuals, or working in corporations, who think honest people are fair game.

work out the cost for both sets of flights, and if any is left, refund that amount, ie if they underpaid you for the 1st full fare flight by $100 and they overpaid you $110  for the latest flight then refund them $10 less your admin fee.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Hummin said:

Im positive I had rights to refund regards my extras I pre-ordered. Even got it on black and white from chat with one of their agents I would get 100% refund. What would Uk law say about that when I had full flex tickets? 

Yes, but the previous dispute was on a seperate flight. Two wrongs don't make a right (in the eyes of the law) so you can't play the two errors off against each other.

1 hour ago, London Lowf said:

Yes, but the previous dispute was on a seperate flight. Two wrongs don't make a right (in the eyes of the law) so you can't play the two errors off against each other.

I will offer them a solution, I will give the money to homeless and send them the receipt! 

I bay X dinner portions for the money! They should appreciate that ????

3 hours ago, steve187 said:

work out the cost for both sets of flights, and if any is left, refund that amount, ie if they underpaid you for the 1st full fare flight by $100 and they overpaid you $110  for the latest flight then refund them $10 less your admin fee.

Brilliant, civil and criminal law is full of 'what a reasonable person would do'. steve187's suggestion is completely reasonable IMHO.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bendejo said:

Do what just about any company would do these days: find an excuse to not return it.  "Sorry, but it is not my policy to . . ." etc.  "My wife handles those things, but she'll be away for a few weeks."  "I fell off a horse last week and have no money." You get the picture. 

My doctor in the US sent me to a lab for some tests.  When checking in they told me my insurance might not cover it, so I should front them $150 just in case, and they will refund to me the unused amount.  Ok, maybe they will, but how much time and effort would that involve is anyone's guess.  I also suspect certain unscrupulous entities may delay such things because they see the customer is of a certain age, so maybe they will forget about it or die.  In your case maybe the airline will go out of business or be taken over.

Oh, and I went to a different lab, one with no "maybes" involved.

100% agree! Everyone is very willing to accept your money but never to refund, it's an unfortunate fact of life. Once you had parted with your $150 I too suspect you would have had a poor chance of eventually seeing it again. 

14 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

100% agree! Everyone is very willing to accept your money but never to refund, it's an unfortunate fact of life. Once you had parted with your $150 I too suspect you would have had a poor chance of eventually seeing it again. 

Ever deal with the US Postal Service?  When you ship a package you can buy insurance: you choose the value and pay the premium when you ship it.  If the package disappears and you go to the PO to file a claim they require you to prove that the parcel is worth the amount you insured it for.  As I see it they should have asked for that when you purchased the insurance.

As for getting $$$ returned (from nearly any entity) the odds are against you.  Should you appear at their offices demanding they set things right it is all in their favor -- here they are running their business and this lunatic (you) comes in off the street causing trouble. 

Edited by bendejo
  • Love It 1

On 12/11/2022 at 9:50 AM, KannikaP said:

How much are we talking about mr Hummin?

About 12 500,-, and for me to change dates of the ticket I had, it would cost me almost a roundtrip with Emirates due to start of high season. 
The whole roundtrip with economy flex both flights was total 32 500

I see now the very same roundtrip I booked for same dates next year cost now 59 359,-

My emirates  roundtrip cost me 28k 

Edited by Hummin
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

How did they contact you ? if phone ignore it could be a scam or e-mail by an employee or other. wait and see if they contact you again.

By e-mail, and first a mail explaining the situation, with information there would be a claim coming later, which I got now. And it is verified address  and the claim is legit. 

• Like 1