Safe life of Tyres (Tires) - Recommendations to replace apparently based on economic - rather than safety - needs

dinga

On 12/17/2022 at 11:36 AM, Kwasaki said:

Backing up what believe reading Info on the internet doesn't replace personal lived experience so what make you think anyone would take any notice of you. 

Visit the forums at Pantip.com for plenty of personal lived experiences by Thai people. Hundreds of posts on the subject but in Thai of course.

Before buying a new set of tires a couple of months ago to replace my 5 year old tires I visited the Pantip forums for suggestions on decent brands. Pretty much everyone posting on the subject of tire wear are replacing tires by the time they are 5 years old even if they still have decent tread depth with many folks replacing in 2-3 years. Hardening of the tread is the most common reason given. One brand that a few folks at Pantip mention going beyond the 5 years before replacement are Michelins.

Shopee has good deals on tires that include shipping and I think just about all the sellers advertise the manufacture date. Hint, use the Thai word for tires ยางรถยนต์  when searching for far better results at Shopee. https://shopee.co.th/search?keyword=ยางรถยนต์
Try searching for 'car tires' or 'car tyres' and see the difference.

Lazada has a lot too, probably the same sellers as Shopee. Lazada is more user friendly for English.

I didn't realize how poor my ride had gotten because of hard tread until I installed the new tires I ordered from Shopee. Huge difference. Now a smooth, quiet, better cornering ride. I'll keep a closer eye on the tread flexibility this time around and won't hesitate to replace them even if they still have deep tread left.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ningnong said:

Visit the forums at Pantip.com for plenty of personal lived experiences by Thai people. Hundreds of posts on the subject but in Thai of course.

Before buying a new set of tires a couple of months ago to replace my 5 year old tires I visited the Pantip forums for suggestions on decent brands. Pretty much everyone posting on the subject of tire wear are replacing tires by the time they are 5 years old even if they still have decent tread depth with many folks replacing in 2-3 years. Hardening of the tread is the most common reason given. One brand that a few folks at Pantip mention going beyond the 5 years before replacement are Michelins.

Shopee has good deals on tires that include shipping and I think just about all the sellers advertise the manufacture date. Hint, use the Thai word for tires ยางรถยนต์  when searching for far better results at Shopee. https://shopee.co.th/search?keyword=ยางรถยนต์
Try searching for 'car tires' or 'car tyres' and see the difference.

Lazada has a lot too, probably the same sellers as Shopee. Lazada is more user friendly for English.

I didn't realize how poor my ride had gotten because of hard tread until I installed the new tires I ordered from Shopee. Huge difference. Now a smooth, quiet, better cornering ride. I'll keep a closer eye on the tread flexibility this time around and won't hesitate to replace them even if they still have deep tread left.

Up to you. 

On 12/11/2022 at 10:05 AM, nigelforbes said:

The storyline we hear most frequently is from the dealers who point out that 4 years is the maximum safe life of a tire here, mostly because of the heat. The last two sets of tires we've purchased have been discounted because the tires were already nearly one year old, Bridgestone Deullers at 6,500 baht each, discounted to 4,000 each.

It's not just the heat, it's UV. If you look at tyres closely it is often quite clear that they have started to perish- small fissures appear hear and there. Regardless of mileage they need to go in these circumstances.

the conditions here for tyres are vey different from those in Europe and also they may be manufactured to different parameters in Thailand

It's the same with oil which only has a lifetime of months regardless of mileage.

most tyres have a sell-by date on them too.

• Like 2

On 12/11/2022 at 5:39 PM, Dmaxdan said:

Has anyone ever bothered to tell the owners of the thousands of second hand tyre and wheel shops that are everywhere in Thailand that the safe life of a tyre here is four years? Thought not...

One high profile tyre outlet here in Chiang Mai tried to convince my Thai son it's illegal to have tyres on your car more than 1 year old.

Son called the manufacturers rep in CM, who told son NOT TRUE, no such law, depends on the usage more than anything, as a rough guide 4 to 5 years max. 

Edited by scorecard

Thai motorists who have an interest in their vehicles seem to have a bit of an obsession with the age of tyres.

One positive benefit of that for me is that you can buy new tyres that are a year or two old at a big discount; which I often do.  There is no real downside for me as I get through tyres reasonably quickly.

• Thanks 1

On 12/17/2022 at 2:18 PM, dinga said:
On 12/17/2022 at 11:23 AM, ningnong said:

There is so much information on the Internet that contradicts your belief that your tires are good for 10 years simply because the manufacturer said so, assuming the tread is not worn out.

Expand  

It is disingenuous in the extreme to say I believe tyres are good for 10 years simply because the manufacturer said so.  You and your kin apparently have chronic inabilities to read and comprehend (try carefully to re-read my comments - and concentrate!).

My reading and comprehension are just fine thank you. You should try carefully to re-read YOUR comments - and concentrate!

----------------------------------------------

Your comments from original post:

"Yokohama recommends the replacement and disposal of all passenger and light truck tyres whose DOT production date is 10 years or more old."

"6 1/2 years they have been on the vehicle, are in fine condition and I'd reckon the tread is about 1/2 way though its life"

"reckon my tyres have got another 3 years in 'em - and at the current rate of use will still have plenty of tread when they are replaced."

----------------------------------------------

You did not define 'fine condition' beyond how much tread was left.

In the US only two conditions matter to determine fine condition, tire holds air and has good tread, maybe its the same for Australia. Hardness of tread and/or cracking (which tire age can indicate) were never given any consideration. In Thailand all those things need to be considered before declaring whether or not the tires are in fine condition.

8 hours ago, kwilco said:

It's not just the heat, it's UV. If you look at tyres closely it is often quite clear that they have started to perish- small fissures appear hear and there. Regardless of mileage they need to go in these circumstances.

the conditions here for tyres are vey different from those in Europe and also they may be manufactured to different parameters in Thailand

It's the same with oil which only has a lifetime of months regardless of mileage.

most tyres have a sell-by date on them too.

Even spare tires degrade over time, manufacturers recommend they be replaced also. I doubt anyone does that though. 

3 hours ago, DavisH said:

I doubt anyone does that though. 

I do - best condition goes on the spare, 4 new ones on the car.

As said before - all that keeps you on the road are those 4 small contact patches. You really want to risk not having good quality - and newish - tires as you sally forth ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DavisH said:

Even spare tires degrade over time, manufacturers recommend they be replaced also. I doubt anyone does that though. 

In fact I did as I changed the tyre size on my truck. Spares are only really "get you home" devices in which case you aren't expected to travel as if you have normal tyres on.....mine was to replace an off road tyre and would have to function as a full replacement.