Safe life of Tyres (Tires) - Recommendations to replace apparently based on economic - rather than safety - needs

dinga

On 12/12/2022 at 2:11 PM, Ralf001 said:

Yeah I change mine every 5 yrs maximum for economic reasons.

Couple tyres cost chump change compared to the financial burden a tire blowout could cause.... Whilst Iam confident I can stop my vehicle in such an event I doubt my missus can..... I'd be devastated if she had a blow out on the 36 taking the kids to school due to me milking the tire life to save a few pennies.

Admirable!!!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

Nah the inner lining starting to show means change em. ????

What i said is true, what you said might be true also. But nah is false. Inside the grooves are little markers. THAT's where you tires are not garanteed to do what they ar supposed to do in regard to water . 

5 minutes ago, Bill Dauterive said:

What i said is true, what you said might be true also. But nah is false. Inside the grooves are little markers. THAT's where you tires are not garanteed to do what they ar supposed to do in regard to water . 

3 mm from memory when it comes to car tyres not motorbikes.

Edited by Kwasaki

1 hour ago, Bill Dauterive said:

The marker in the grooves says it all. factory approved.

It says when to replace the tires with ONE set of criteria.

There are others - tire age, operating conditions during its life, ... and on and on

• Like 1

On 12/11/2022 at 5:30 PM, dinga said:

Noted and forgotten (I place more credence in the Manufacturer's advice)

Did the manufacturer consider the tropical climate and heat in Thailand? I've had my michelins on my crv for close to 4 years and 50K kms. They have surface fine cracks on the outer edge of each tire. They may be good for another 10-20K kms, probably no more. But 10 years? I don't think they'd last that long as the rubber hardens over time and dry grip reduces. I'd rather follow my observations of the tire quality and performance (braking, noise), rather than what is stated on the box. I've also replaced some tires as 40K kms when it was obvious they were becoming noisy and hard. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Did the manufacturer consider the tropical climate and heat in Thailand? I've had my michelins on my crv for close to 4 years and 50K kms. They have surface fine cracks on the outer edge of each tire. They may be good for another 10-20K kms, probably no more. But 10 years? I don't think they'd last that long as the rubber hardens over time and dry grip reduces. I'd rather follow my observations of the tire quality and performance (braking, noise), rather than what is stated on the box. I've also replaced some tires as 40K kms when it was obvious they were becoming noisy and hard. 

Only experienced crack deteriation with a motorcycle tyre and Pirelli took it away, it was put down as a quality control mistake at a certain stage of process. 

The compounds in tyres can cause problems during manufacturing as well. 

3 hours ago, DavisH said:

For goodness sake, let me try yet again to clarify.  In the absence of any compromise (the like of which you mention), the manufacturer recommends replacement at 10 years.  Clearly, that does not mean tyres will last 10 years regardless of mileage, condition, neglect, performance etcetcetc.

My gripe is being told my tyres need to be replaced when they simply reach 5/7 years despite the fact they have Zero indications of compromise.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dinga said:

For goodness sake, let me try yet again to clarify.  In the absence of any compromise (the like of which you mention), the manufacturer recommends replacement at 10 years.  Clearly, that does not mean tyres will last 10 years regardless of mileage, condition, neglect, performance etcetcetc.

My gripe is being told my tyres need to be replaced when they simply reach 5/7 years despite the fact they have Zero indications of compromise.

Agree did manufacturers consider hot climates, what a stupid question.

Have ever looked at Utube and seen many guys there testing old tyres to incredible pressures it is amazing how strong tyres can be.

6 hours ago, Bill Dauterive said:

The marker in the grooves says it all. factory approved.

Lots of studies mentioned online that demonstrate the reduced braking performance of tires that have not reached the treadwear indicators.

Also worth reading up on is the importance of good tread to channel water away from the tire to help prevent hydroplaning.

I prefer the peace of mind when traveling in heavy rain, especially in the mountains, when I know I have lots of tread that is still flexible.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ningnong said:

Lots of studies mentioned online that demonstrate the reduced braking performance of tires that have not reached the treadwear indicators.

Also worth reading up on is the importance of good tread to channel water away from the tire to help prevent hydroplaning.

I prefer the peace of mind when traveling in heavy rain, especially in the mountains, when I know I have lots of tread that is still flexible.

So have 2 sets of tyres and rims or do I need to spell it out for you as you sound like others here,  that's not specifically having a go at you. 

You are what sounds OCD about car tyres and are unable to adjust to driving to  conditions in accordance of your vehicles tyre wear. 

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

You are what sounds OCD about car tyres and are unable to adjust to driving to  conditions in accordance of your vehicles tyre wear. 

Well that makes a lot of sense. Take a chance driving on well worn tires needing to slow down in situations where you may loose traction because of those worn tires?

How about spending 15K to have decent tread and be able to maintain an appropriate speed for conditions and have a shorter stopping distance too.

But I understand if your budget can't handle it.

25 minutes ago, ningnong said:

Well that makes a lot of sense. Take a chance driving on well worn tires needing to slow down in situations where you may loose traction because of those worn tires?

How about spending 15K to have decent tread and be able to maintain an appropriate speed for conditions and have a shorter stopping distance too.

32 minutes ago, ningnong said:

"A fool and his money are soon parted" 

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

So have 2 sets of tyres and rims or do I need to spell it out for you as you sound like others here,  that's not specifically having a go at you. 

So you are sayng to drive slowly in the rain when you have 3mm or less tread left? 3mm is the recommended min tread depth, but in Thailand I've never let my tires get to this level, not with the sudden downpours that can occur here. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Agree did manufacturers consider hot climates, what a stupid question.

Have ever looked at Utube and seen many guys there testing old tyres to incredible pressures it is amazing how strong tyres can be.

What has air pressure got to do with tread depth? If yu like to drive with barely no tread, I don't care. If you are such a cheap charlie it will be your problem if you tires delaminate at speed. Noone here will have any sympathy for you. 

4 hours ago, dinga said:

That's what I was implying. OBSERVE the qualityof the tire during it's lifespan. ANY brand of tire used on Thai roads will be rock hard by 10 years and well past their useby date. I value my life over a few thousand lousy baht saved. 

• Like 1

As others have already said here, I think it is the heat that must degrade the rubber compound quicker.

I thought I had found a deal on Lazada last year. Two new unused tyres for a really good price. So I ordered them.

Took them to my local garage and as he fitted them a big chunk came off of one. He told me they were old tyres (2018) and the rubber had become brittle. Only three years old.

3 minutes ago, phetphet said:

As others have already said here, I think it is the heat that must degrade the rubber compound quicker.

I thought I had found a deal on Lazada last year. Two new unused tyres for a really good price. So I ordered them.

Took them to my local garage and as he fitted them a big chunk came off of one. He told me they were old tyres (2018) and the rubber had become brittle. Only three years old.

packed my possessions into boxes and storage when i left due to covid, returning 2.5 years later i was amazed at how much the plastic and rubber components of some of my possessions had degraded...

8 hours ago, DavisH said:

That's what I was implying. OBSERVE the qualityof the tire during it's lifespan. ANY brand of tire used on Thai roads will be rock hard by 10 years and well past their useby date. I value my life over a few thousand lousy baht saved. 

Testament to thoroughly confused "thinking"  -  it's not, and has never been, about the money. 

Wastes everyone's time to repeatedly regurgitate the same old off-topic nonsense and impune anyone with an different opinion.  Do whatever the hell you want - as will I.    

14 hours ago, dinga said:

"A fool and his money are soon parted" 

And you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

There is so much information on the Internet that contradicts your belief that your tires are good for 10 years simply because the manufacturer said so, assuming the tread is not worn out.

Since you mentioned in the original post you don't put that many miles on your vehicles you might find this snip interesting:

"Usage: When a tire is driven, the pressure and flexing motion circulate the internal oils through the rubber. These oils lubricate the internal rubber and keep it from drying and stiffening. So tires that are used less are often more vulnerable to aging effects."

https://www.liveabout.com/the-science-of-tire-aging-3234377

Do some research.
tyre aging
treadwear and braking
treadwear and hydroplaning

If you understand spoken Thai search Youtube for ดอกยางรถยนต์แข็ง "Car tread hard" where tread hardness is discussed.

Denial is not a river in Egypt.

Just common sense and make your own healthy decisions! I prefer new rubber before old, and Im willing to pay for it. My decision! 3-4 years time to change! Anyway, I never need to wait more than 6 months on my motorbikes, and 3 years on my car.

Edited by Hummin
  • Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, ningnong said:

There is so much information on the Internet that contradicts your belief that your tires are good for 10 years simply because the manufacturer said so, assuming the tread is not worn out.

Since you mentioned in the original post you don't put that many miles on your vehicles you might find this snip interesting:

"Usage: When a tire is driven, the pressure and flexing motion circulate the internal oils through the rubber. These oils lubricate the internal rubber and keep it from drying and stiffening. So tires that are used less are often more vulnerable to aging effects."

Do some research.
tyre aging
treadwear and braking

If you understand spoken Thai search Youtube for ดอกยางรถยนต์แข็ง "Car tread hard" where tread hardness is discussed.

Backing up what believe reading Info on the internet doesn't replace personal lived experience so what make you think anyone would take any notice of you. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, ningnong said:

Do some research.
tyre aging
treadwear and braking

It is disingenuous in the extreme to say I believe tyres are good for 10 years simply because the manufacturer said so.  You and your kin apparently have chronic inabilities to read and comprehend (try carefully to re-read my comments - and concentrate!).

As for the trite last sentence, how very droll - hardly original and who knows??? (perhaps accurate in some other weird universe - but certainly not in this one) 

Phrase[edit]

denial is not a river in Egypt

1. (humorous) Used to point out that somebody is in a state of psychological denial. 
  • Haha 1

On 12/16/2022 at 6:55 PM, ningnong said:

Factory garantees safety standards on them so yeah whatever. But then again i know people who still wear facemasks and take boosters lol. Do what suits you best i suggest. Don't deny the facts.

Edited by Bill Dauterive