METV visa staying in thailand for up to 9 months?

So I am thinking of getting a Multiple Entry Tourist Visa to stay in thailand for up to 9 months for 2023.
I have read about two ways to do this

• 1. Enter with METV get 60 days stamp, then border run for another 60 days stamp, then second border run for another 60 days stamp then a third border run just before visa runs out for another 60 days stamp with a possible extension of 30 days on the last stamp totaling up to 8-9 months. 

• 2. Enter with METV get 60 days stamp with getting an extension of 30 days, then border run for another 60 days and 30 days extension, then a second border run for 60 days and a 30 days extension totaling up to 8-9 months.

I have heard if stay for 9 month and I come the year after they could deny me entry because of an unofficial 180 days rule?
I have also heard something about max 2 land border runs per calender year, is that also the case with METV?
I have previously stayed in Thailand on STV Visa in 2022 with two extensions for 9 months.

My questions is 
A.  would there be any trouble or consequences about either option 1 or 2? could I be rejected re-entry on any of the border run?
B.  would there be any future problems entering thailand if i stay for 9 months via these methods? Maybe even here in 2023 because I stayed 9 months 2022 on STV visa?

I did the 45 + 30 days then land border run and was told quite clearly when I re entered that I could not do this again ( they gave me 45 days again ) and that I had to get a long term visa if I wanted to stay longer -- so that's only one land border run allowed . Also , I think that the 45 day on arrival thing stops at the beginning of March .

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, John8 said:

Hi

I will be trying to get a METV visa soon too.

I hope it wont be a problem using the land border to renew my visa.

Did they change anything with the METV visa after Covid ?

You will be fine to enter via land or air with an METV.

BTW you are not renewing your visa.

It's a multi entry visa and has a validity period.

Each time you enter Thailand during that validity period you will be stamped in for 60 days and if you want you can obtain a 30 day extension for each entry.

The nice thing with an METV is that's it's not a visa exempt entry at border since you have a valid visa.

Also you could fly to places such as Saigon with no concerns about returning visa exempt. 

More appealing to land border run in some folks eyes. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

I have stayed for 5 years on the METV (3 months abroad each year) until Covid started. However, as you correctly stated you need to be careful. In my first year, the immigration officer in BKK gave me a look like I am a serial killer. After my 1st year I entered AND left only via land borders (Nong Khai and Sungai Golock). There are plenty of more options to get your 60 days extension. I usually went to Phu Nam Ron.

thanks for the replies!
What I am most interrested in knowing currently is wether or not they will let me visa run more than 2 times on a METV visa (going myself) or if the max 2 landborders per year also applies to METV

Edited by Dennis133

1 hour ago, Dennis133 said:

thanks for the replies!
What I am most interrested in knowing currently is wether or not they will let me visa run more than 2 times on a METV visa (going myself) or if the max 2 landborders per year also applies to METV

The 2 border runs per calendar year is for visa exempt entries.

You have a visa. That is not included in that count. 

11 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The 2 border runs per calendar year is for visa exempt entries.

You have a visa. That is not included in that count. 

As I understand it, you can come and go (exit Thailand) as much as you want with a METV within the six month time frame of the visa. The maximum stay per entry is 60 days, unless you pay for a 30 day extension. I have the METV now. My question... how many extensions can I get per year with the METV?  Thank you!

6 minutes ago, Des1 said:

As I understand it, you can come and go (exit Thailand) as much as you want with a METV within the six month time frame of the visa. The maximum stay per entry is 60 days, unless you pay for a 30 day extension. I have the METV now. My question... how many extensions can I get per year with the METV?  Thank you!

Multiple entry visas don't have a limit of the number of entries.

Folk should not apply too early for ME visas as they have a life span from issue.

In the case of METV it's a 6 month validity and indeed if timed well you can have almost 9 months stay using 30 day extension for last reentry just prior to expiry of the visa. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Multiple entry visas don't have a limit of the number of entries.

Folk should not apply too early for ME visas as they have a life span from issue.

In the case of METV it's a 6 month validity and indeed if timed well you can have almost 9 months stay using 30 day extension for last reentry just prior to expiry of the visa. 

Yes, I said all that. My question .. how many times per year can I get a 30 day extension with a METV? Is there a limit? The reason I ask is I will probably return in less than a year with another METV. Thank you and thanks Dr Jack for taking the time to repond.

5 minutes ago, Des1 said:

Yes, I said all that. My question .. how many times per year can I get a 30 day extension with a METV? Is there a limit? The reason I ask is I will probably return in less than a year with another METV. Thank you and thanks Dr Jack for taking the time to repond.

Not quite understand.

So every entry from a METV gives a 60 day stamp and every entry can be extended by 30 days (that you have pointed out.

As for back to back METV thinking that you could obtain one pretty much every year.

So something like 9 months in Thailand with a METV every year wash and repeat should be possible. 

As you are aware an METV is only applied for in home country or country where you have permanent residency.

Some folk have asked about obtaining a METV using eVisa.

I cannot recommend that. 

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Not quite understand.

So every entry from a METV gives a 60 day stamp and every entry can be extended by 30 days (that you have pointed out.

As for back to back METV thinking that you could obtain one pretty much every year.

So something like 9 months in Thailand with a METV every year wash and repeat should be possible. 

As you are aware an METV is only applied for in home country or country where you have permanent residency.

I cannot recommend that. 

Right. That is what i am wondering about. I would love to do 9 months every year with a METV, extensions required. I guess it may be up to the Thai Embassy in my country ( Canada) to decide if i am allowed this every year? I will go back to Canada for three months (at least) then apply again for the METV, within the same year.

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Can't see an issue given you would spend 3 months (at least) outside of Thailand.

@BritTim may have an opinion re your plan . 

Ok, thanks! And let me say this forum, and so many people on it who are willing to offer advice, make it THE BEST expat Thailand resource anywhere. No contest.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, BritTim said:

First of all, there will be zero issues at most land borders and some airports, no matter how many times you enter with an METV. Further, the only limitation on 30-day extensions is that you can only get one per entry with the METV.

The only slight concern would be over entering at certain airports (including both Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang). As @DrJack54suggested, there really ought to be no problem with the first entry on a new METV after three months away, but there are some officials who are incensed at the very idea of foreigners entering Thailand frequently, or for long periods, as tourists. It is unlikely you would have a problem but, if you encounter one of these officials, you cannot 100% rely on them to act rationally or in accordance with the law. If you have the opportunity easily to either enter by land, or enter at one of the airports (such as Chiang Mai) that have no history of refusing to honour tourist visas, it might be prudent.

..."Further, the only limitation on 30-day extensions is that you can only get one per entry with the METV" ... This speaks to the heart of my question, how many extensions can I get in a calendar year. so you are suggesting i can only get one extension within the 6 months of my METV?

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I cannot recommend that. 

Why is that? In Denmark we are now required to apply for visa on the thaievisa website, so we only have the option to get E-Visa.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Des1 said:

..."Further, the only limitation on 30-day extensions is that you can only get one per entry with the METV" ... This speaks to the heart of my question, how many extensions can I get in a calendar year. so you are suggesting i can only get one extension within the 6 months of my METV?

No, each time you enter with your METV, you can get one 30 day extension. It isn't a problem to get several extensions during a calendar year.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Des1 said:

No. The METV is a multiple entry visa. If you wanted, you could enter as many as three times and receive three extensions based on a single METV.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

Any particular reasons as to why? (Genuinely asking, not arguing) 

METV  has a requirement that it's applied for in home country or country where you have permanent residency.

With the introduction of eVisa there have been questions such as ......"can I obtain a eVisa for Thailand when I'm already in Thailand" etc. 

My guess is perhaps some folk have obtained an METV using eVisa while in a country such as Vietnam.....,

Personally I wouldn't do that. 

I got a bit of a scare today returning from four days in Lao. I came to Thailand using the visa exempt and then extended it 30 days, During this time I finally received the METV I applied for in Canada before I left. So I flew out and returned via Don Mueang and presented my visa. A senior IO was called and I had to go with him to another desk while he took a close look at my passport and the many visas and extensions. I had spent 9 months in thailand on my last trip before returning home for three months... then came back again.

He asked if I knew anyone here (girlfriend) and how long I planned to stay (six months). He finally gave me the stamp and I asked him what the problem was. Not surprising, it was the length of time in Thailand over the last two years. I told him next trip I would probably be doing a retirement visa and he smiled and said yes.

I think the days of repeated METV's are coming to an end and even if the Thai Embassy in our home country approves the visa it seems the IO here can say no.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2022 at 5:17 AM, scubascuba3 said:

I used METVs for a few years, 3 border runs then an extension, then back UK sometimes 6 months sometimes a month. You should be fine but as usual no gaurantees, although i was apprehensive for each entry i was always stamped in no problems 

I got a bit of a scare today returning from four days in Lao. I came to Thailand using the visa exempt and then extended it 30 days, During this time I finally received the METV I applied for in Canada before I left. So I flew out and returned via Don Mueang and presented my visa. A senior IO was called and I had to go with him to another desk while he took a close look at my passport and the many visas and extensions. I had spent 9 months in thailand on my last trip before returning home for three months... then came back again.

He asked if I knew anyone here (girlfriend) and how long I planned to stay (six months). He finally gave me the stamp and I asked him what the problem was. Not surprising, it was the length of time in Thailand over the last two years. I told him next trip I would probably be doing a retirement visa and he smiled and said yes.

I think the days of repeated METV's are coming to an end and even if the Thai Embassy in our home country approves the visa it seems the IO here can say no.

12 hours ago, Des1 said:

Unlike in the past, legal long stay tourists now need to be much more careful about where they enter Thailand. With a visa, there should be no problem but, as you discovered, some immigration officials believe visas allowing people to be long stay tourists should not be allowed. For your next exit and return, I advise you to use land crossings (most) or the few airports (such as Chiang Mai) that have historically always honoured visas.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Des1 said:

I've heard similar stories for years so it's luck of the draw, i was never stopped, it's stupid really you'd think they'd want people here spending money

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/28/2022 at 10:16 AM, BritTim said:

Unlike in the past, legal long stay tourists now need to be much more careful about where they enter Thailand. With a visa, there should be no problem but, as you discovered, some immigration officials believe visas allowing people to be long stay tourists should not be allowed. For your next exit and return, I advise you to use land crossings (most) or the few airports (such as Chiang Mai) that have historically always honoured visas.

That's the thing I don't understand. If I had my wits about me at the time it's the very question I would have asked ... Thai embassies represent the Thai Government. When I apply for a visa they can see my travel history ... if they approve the visa how can some IO say no. Maybe they really can't, but just like to show their displeasure by pulling us aside and giving us grief about it. I don't know. Has anyone had their legit Visa rejected at passport control?

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

The thing to realise is that, although it has better infrastructure than most, Thailand is basically a third world country where laws as written are regarded as guidelines that officials can follow or ignore at their whim, only limited by what their superiors will tolerate. Thus, you need to adapt your behaviour appropriately, to match the actual actions of officials in each area, in order to meet your own objectives. Forget about what is "legal" or "logical". All that matters is what happens in practice.

Khao jai, khrup ???? I am still interested to hear from anyone who actually had their visa rejected on arrival. Lots of stories about hassles at immigration (like mine), but nothing beyond that.