British ex-teacher, 78, and his boyfriend, 27, killed in horror car crash in Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"the Yaris driver was driving without due attention to what was going on ahead".

What was going on ahead was irrelevant considering that he was pushed into the oncoming traffic by the Honda.

"the Pick up driver is doing what so many do here and driving in the righthand lane when he should on the left unless overtaking".

He wasn't overtaking a vehicle in the left lane?    How could you know that?

My comments regarding the pick up are, of course a conjecture based on the very observable fact the the majority of drivers in Thailand will drive in the righthand lane in this type of road. I would say that 70% and upwards do so. One could also level the same comment at the CRV driver.

Yes I did get the CRV and Yaris mixed up in my narrative didn't I. I was hoping that no one would notice, but we can rely on you can't we. But I'm sure that you understood what I was getting at.

• Love It 1

5 hours ago, Lorry said:

51 years age difference is extremely unusual. 

(They were not living in Soi Buakhao.)

Anything more than 30 years is frowned upon. This is not 2012 anymore, when Isan girls wanted a farang husband, no matter what age. 

Have you been refused by Isarn girls after 2012? Where is Soi buakhao, and what do you do there?

• Haha 1

On 12/14/2022 at 6:24 PM, Jingthing said:

Imagine if they were a straight couple.

Nobody would gave posted what you did with the same set of facts.

It was a disgusting post and totally unfounded.

I think you're over reacting. I would have said the same if an ex teacher was dating a girl 51 years his junior. The gender/sex was not the central point, it was the occupation. 

He was probably a perfectly decent bloke, but some (including parents of his former pupils) might raise an eyebrow reading about this. And that's probably why the newspaper made a big deal of the occupation + age gap - to get more clicks. 

30 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I think you're over reacting. I would have said the same if an ex teacher was dating a girl 51 years his junior. The gender/sex was not the central point, it was the occupation. 

He was probably a perfectly decent bloke, but some (including parents of his former pupils) might raise an eyebrow reading about this. And that's probably why the newspaper made a big deal of the occupation + age gap - to get more clicks. 

I call total B.S.

What group of people faces severe discrimination in hiring and face firing as teachers in much of the world just for what they are?

Gay men.

Straight men with much younger legal aged spouses?

You won't find that as grounds for not hiring or firing as a teacher anywhere.

Its possible you and others are simply blind to deeply ingrained structural homophobia.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/14/2022 at 5:41 AM, Orinoco said:

Crazy Thai drivers at it again.

To Fast, To Stupid, To Selfish.

RIP.

There will be 60-70 more today dead.

about 14 of them will be children.

Shameful Thailand and it's drivers and riders.

No one cares at all.

There are a lot of stupid westerners driving around too I mind you. Per capita, probably as bad or worse. Idiot stupid tourist westerners wobbling on motorcycles, I’ve seen more westerners crashes in the city than locals, more westerners walking around with broken limbs. There are two that live in cm I see every now and then, and what’s weird is every time we’re at a stoplight they try to dangerously cut in front of me so as to be noticed, these are not young punks either. Just stupid desperate to be noticed old farts. Just freaking ridiculously weird. I wonder how many killed or been killed just trying to show off. Stupid westerners ????

Edited by novacova
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I call total B.S.

What group of people faces severe discrimination in hiring and face firing as teachers in much of the world just for what they are?

Gay men.

Straight men with much younger legal aged spouses?

You won't find that as grounds for not hiring or firing as a teacher anywhere.

Its possible you and others are simply blind to deeply ingrained structural homophobia.

You're going way off on a tangent. You might be right about those things, but you ignored (or misunderstood?) my fundamental point in order to raise LGBT rights issues.

Or do you think people in a same sex relationship should be beyond scrutiny? 

Edited by CG1 Blue

41 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

You're going way off on a tangent. You might be right about those things, but you ignored (or misunderstood?) my fundamental point in order to raise LGBT rights issues.

Or do you think people in a same sex relationship should be beyond scrutiny? 

That's an obnoxious baiting question.

Not beyond scrutiny of course but the scrutiny should not be based on an ignorant bigoted double standard. 

There was no justification at all based on the facts we were given in the news story to insinuate that the British man was a pedo.

Well unless coming from a billionaire world class A hole like Elon Musk.

It wouldn't have happened if the Thai partner with the same facts had been a woman.

Get real!

Edited by Jingthing

My parents taught my eldest brother to drive and after that experience sent the rest of us off to an acredited driving instructor when our time was due.

One of the many good pieces of advice i recived from those lessons was when you need to make a turn across oncoming traffic, after coming to a total stop, LEAVE your steering in the position of staight ahead from the direction you were traveling and DO NOT turn the wheel in the direction of intended traval UNTIL you move off in that direction.

It is fair to say being shunted from the rear and being forced in the direcion of your initial travel is not pleasant, and still very dangerous, but it is almost unquestionably better than having the steering turned and being pushed into oncoming traffic.

My condolences go out to all those involved.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, novacova said:

There are a lot of stupid westerners driving around too I mind you. Per capita, probably as bad or worse. Idiot stupid tourist westerners wobbling on motorcycles, I’ve seen more westerners crashes in the city than locals, more westerners walking around with broken limbs. There are two that live in cm I see every now and then, and what’s weird is every time we’re at a stoplight they try to dangerously cut in front of me so as to be noticed, these are not young punks either. Just stupid desperate to be noticed old farts. Just freaking ridiculously weird. I wonder how many killed or been killed just trying to show off. Stupid westerners ????

Indeed, I see many old codgers driving around town with now shirt or helmet on. 

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Indeed, I see many old codgers driving around town with now shirt or helmet on. 

I do not only drive in the confines of central Pattaya..by far it is the locals who ignore helmet and other safety factors while driving. I see  a few in town as you say, and wish the police would do something about them....

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I do not only drive in the confines of central Pattaya..by far it is the locals who ignore helmet and other safety factors while driving. I see  a few in town as you say, and wish the police would do something about them....

The police do fine them from time to time.

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

The police do fine them from time to time.

Does not seem to be much of a deterrent, I see more without helmets than with waiting to turn off Suk into Klang. I threw a tantrum today, crossing 3rd with the pedestrian crossing lights in my favour, and none of the bikes were stopping. I jumped up and down shouting 'stop stop' and you know what, they did! I think I caused them some amusement! (There was a falang crossing with me who had mobility issues ... sometimes, the locals really do my head in!)