Have you had high cholesterol  – How successful have you been in lowering your numbers .

backstreet

13 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I have also read that there are no safe limits for alcohol. You seem to advocate a diet which has much opposition from expert quarters.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-45283401

I'll go with

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0735109707020074

and

Alcohol intake is causally related to lower risk of coronary heart disease through changes in lipids and haemostatic factors.

--https://www.bmj.com/content/319/7224/1523.short

among others. Dig, man.

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

With carbs try and differentiate between carbs to avoid, pizza, crisps, chips, chocolate, ice cream, pastries etc and ones which are good i.e. potatoes, rice etc

What's with a Pizza. Thin bread (flour & water), some tomato sauce and cheese. OK, all the other toppings can add to the unhealthiness especially salami/pepperoni, but veggies like onions & mushrooms are good.

Dark chocolate is also good in moderation. And chips are made from potatoes, and if fried in good oil give no badness.

2 minutes ago, BigStar said:

I'll go with

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0735109707020074

and

Alcohol intake is causally related to lower risk of coronary heart disease through changes in lipids and haemostatic factors.

--https://www.bmj.com/content/319/7224/1523.short

among others. Dig, man.

I do dig, I quote research I find most credible. The BMJ article you quoted is 23 years old.

7 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I don't think the government is paid off by the "usual sources". And especially not every country's government which seem to be in agreement, they are guided by medical advice. You're getting into conspiracy theories here.

Funny after what COVID medical advice did to Oz and NZ. Rest of the Western world follows the US as the interests are quite similar. You may compare the recommended food pyramids in OZ and the UK that came out when the USA food pyramid came out. ???? 

In short, you don't know much about the topic in depth, so you'll have to roll with what they tell you.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

With carbs try and differentiate between carbs to avoid, pizza, crisps, chips, chocolate, ice cream, pastries etc and ones which are good i.e. potatoes, rice etc

I cut out everything. Frankly, cutting out the rice was the most difficult, as my wife was and is having rice for every single meal (she is Thai, no surprises there).

However, my main driver was getting rid of pre-diabetic symptoms like the constant fatigue and de-fatting my liver, and knowing the diabetes statistics for Thailand on their diet of polished white rice, I felt it better to not take chances.

As I conquered food cravings this way completely, for any kind of food, I felt I am on the right way. I would have thought anew about it, had my body developed cravings for specific kinds of food, after having tested this approach for three months.

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

What's with a Pizza. Thin bread (flour & water), some tomato sauce and cheese. OK, all the other toppings can add to the unhealthiness especially salami/pepperoni, but veggies like onions & mushrooms are good.

Dark chocolate is also good in moderation. And chips are made from potatoes, and if fried in good oil give no badness.

it's the fat and oil in pizza cheese etc although you can get healthier ones apparently. Dark chocolate is big % fat although most people don't realise. Chips if made with very little oil, like in an airfryer ok, less oil the better, I don't use any at home anymore. Even better eat potatoes, jacket potatoes, i even sometimes microwave, cut into wedges add salt and vinegar

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jts-khorat said:

the diabetes statistics for Thailand on their diet of polished white rice, I felt it better to not take chances.

Billions of people eat white rice without diabetes, it's something else, they stuff their faces with 7 Eleven rubbish all day amongst other things

6 minutes ago, jts-khorat said:

I cut out everything. Frankly, cutting out the rice was the most difficult, as my wife was and is having rice for every single meal (she is Thai, no surprises there).

However, my main driver was getting rid of pre-diabetic symptoms like the constant fatigue and de-fatting my liver, and knowing the diabetes statistics for Thailand on their diet of polished white rice, I felt it better to not take chances.

As I conquered food cravings this way completely, for any kind of food, I felt I am on the right way. I would have thought anew about it, had my body developed cravings for specific kinds of food, after having tested this approach for three months.

So what are you now eating please?

1 minute ago, still kicking said:

So how do you measure your own cholesterol level? I can measure my blood pressure and blood sugar but cholesterol I have no Idea

You can get kits from Lazada or other, but how accurate is debatable.

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Billions of people eat white rice without diabetes, it's something else, they stuff their faces with 7 Eleven rubbish all day amongst other things

You mean the white rice they sell at 7-11? 555

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I do dig, I quote research I find most credible. The BMJ article you quoted is 23 years old.

17 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Tell us the list of meds you're taking again?

Just now, BigStar said:

Tell us the list of meds you're taking again?

Doxadozin for prostate and blood pressure, Amlodepine for blood pressure, and Bestatin for Cholesterol. 

Also Saw Palmetto and Echinacea. Oh, and a glass of red vino every evening, or two when Man City win! 555

And you?

• Haha 1

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

pastries, cookies, crisps all sorts of bad stuff in there, then the coke soda type drinks. Good stuff? water, fruit, rice, probably a few more things

Yep, they sell Tapper and Kulov at 7-11.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Funny after what COVID medical advice did to Oz and NZ. Rest of the Western world follows the US as the interests are quite similar. You may compare the recommended food pyramids in OZ and the UK that came out when the USA food pyramid came out. ???? 

In short, you don't know much about the topic in depth, so you'll have to roll with what they tell you.

They are pretty much the same. The food pyramids reflected what was generally the consensus when they were in vogue. That said, the only food pyramids I ever saw were developed by the Aust Meat and Dairy Corporation. Another reason I don't trust vested interests. It's important to understand the difference between mandated food industry contributions to research and "paid for" results.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Well, go find your study debunked here:

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2021/10/flaw-found-in-no-safe-level-of-drinking-claim/

It was rather silly, actually, if you think about it. Careers are built on such.

They found that out of 100,000 non-drinkers, 914 would develop an alcohol-related health problem such as cancer or suffer an injury.

Even if they're non-drinkers. Then

But an extra four people would be affected if they drank one alcoholic drink a day.

For people who had two alcoholic drinks a day, 63 more developed a condition within a year . . . .

An extra four people if having one.???? I'll take those odds and consider the other studies showing benefits--that haven't been refuted. Then your article goes into a rant about how people often drink into excess. DANGER WILL ROBINSON.

I like the response:

"There is no safe level of driving, but the government does not recommend that people avoid driving.

"Come to think of it, there is no safe level of living, but nobody would recommend abstention."

Meanwhile, you still have quite recent summaries (and check the sources VERY carefully, while you're having your fruits, bread and pasta), they're listed) such as

Surprising Ways Alcohol May Be Good for You

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Doxadozin for prostate and blood pressure, Amlodepine for blood pressure, and Bestatin for Cholesterol. 

Also Saw Palmetto and Echinacea. Oh, and a glass of red vino every evening, or two when Man City win! 555

And you?

None at all. 'Course, I'm a year younger than you. ????

6 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Well, go find your study debunked here:

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2021/10/flaw-found-in-no-safe-level-of-drinking-claim/

It was rather silly, actually, if you think about it. Careers are built on such.

They found that out of 100,000 non-drinkers, 914 would develop an alcohol-related health problem such as cancer or suffer an injury.

Even if they're non-drinkers. Then

But an extra four people would be affected if they drank one alcoholic drink a day.

For people who had two alcoholic drinks a day, 63 more developed a condition within a year . . . .

An extra four people if having one.???? I'll take those odds and consider the other studies showing benefits--that haven't been refuted. Then your article goes into a rant about how people often drink into excess. DANGER WILL ROBINSON.

I like the response:

"There is no safe level of driving, but the government does not recommend that people avoid driving.

"Come to think of it, there is no safe level of living, but nobody would recommend abstention."

Meanwhile, you still have quite recent summaries (and check the sources VERY carefully, while you're having your fruits, bread and pasta), they're listed) such as

Surprising Ways Alcohol May Be Good for You

Oh look, a an alcohol industry website complaining about research threatening its industry. Nothing to see here. Your links do seem to be cherry picked to exclude the best authorities. They would be government, directly and indirectly and educational institutions.

That said, I have no opinion about whether small amounts of alcohol aren't good for you. As we should all be well aware, it's possible for a substance to have both good and harmful effects. I do drink alcohol but very little.

Edited by ozimoron

2 minutes ago, still kicking said:

To add I am now 76 years old I do drink a few glasses of red every day my sister is 83 and my grand dad died at the age of 110 he used to smoke like chimney and drank like a fish oh yes my mother died at the age of 96 any questions?

My mother gave up smoking at 50, drank heavily all her life and still puts away a bottle of wine every day or two. Eats lots of red meat. She's 94. Eats absolutely no processed food of any kind. Cooks all her own food and nothing out of a packet except frozen vegetables. Conversely, my father and his father both died of stroke at age 51.

Edited by ozimoron

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

hey are pretty much the same. The food pyramids reflected what was generally the consensus when they were in vogue.

Exactly. And it was the US "research" and politicians that first created the consensus and put them in vogue.

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Another reason I don't trust vested interests. It's important to understand the difference between mandated food industry contributions to research and "paid for" results.

The food industry contributions to research, and to politicians, were self-"mandated" to increase their own profits, as I've indicated earlier and you ignored. And they certainly did, with the resulting obesity epidemic. Would I pay for good health based on alternative research? And that research could simply be a reinterpretation of original shoddy research and false conclusions by the food industry studies. Gary Taubes, a journalist, did exactly that. Now there are a lot of new studies that you're unaware of. I prefer to be aware, thank you. It's paid off nicely.