Have you had high cholesterol  – How successful have you been in lowering your numbers .

backstreet

2 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

You list recommendations on how to lower your cholesterol. Take that with a grain of salt. For 25 years I didn't eat red meat. Only fish and chicken. I exercised 5 days a week for at least an hour (weights and cardio).  I walked 3 miles 4 times a week and never smoked. I was never overweight.  The only vice I have is I like my beer. 

Even tho I was doing everything right I still had high cholesterol. So, I listened to the doctor and took the meds he prescribed. Now I'm ok. Healthy living did nothing for me. My issue was all hereditary.

Same here. I've had high cholesterol all my life. Its familial in my case. My father and his father died at 50. My father was still captain coach of a rugby team at 35 after being the navy rep hooker for 12 years.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Freakin' skim milk vs whole ... Holy Buddha, but do need for my morning cereal, which is still Nestle' corn flakes & raisins, now with oats, almonds & blueberries added, as all suppose to be good options.  Only use for milk now, 1 bowl, instead of liter a day.

Same, milk is my downfall. A litre a day. My mother is 94 and has never taken medications until HBP meds recently. She eats a lot of red meat but her secret is no processed foods at all. She makes everything from scratch.

47 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

Yes, Rosuvastatin (Crestor®) worked for me as well.

I've been on Rosuvastatin for 25 years My  cholesterol is good now. I stopped eating red meat about  three years ago, more because of cancer risk than cholesterol. The doc told me that Rosuvastatin is the best tolerated statin. I love pomelo and that's the only statin which allows me to eat them.

15 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Losing weight, if you need to, is always good. Exercise is great. Some diets are better for the lipids than others, however.

The 'statin' will help control the lipids, especially since liver isn't exactly know for producing good cholesterol.

Until my diet does that, get a good balance of better HDLs vs LDLs, the statin will help, and hopefully I'll ween myself off all the meds prescribed.

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

The 'statin' will help control the lipids, especially since liver isn't exactly know for producing good cholesterol.

Until my diet does that, get a good balance of better HDLs vs LDLs, the statin will help, and hopefully I'll ween myself off all the meds prescribed.

My doc told me to stay on them. Apparently statins reduce the likelihood of bowel cancer. They refer to the "golden trio" of statins, BP meds (irbesartan in my case) and aspirin. There is some push back on aspirin but again the docs tell me I should disregard that.

1 hour ago, parafareno said:

go vegan and that will solve your cholesterol....google it....but i know you people want to eat meat...so you will take your meds for the the rest of your life or have a bypass soon....very painful

A vegetarian colleague has high cholesterol....probably from the daily eggs she eats and high car intake. Excessive sugar is known to increase LDL (the "bad" small particle LDL). 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I applaud your resolution. Fight!

The liver and small intestine will produce enough HDL if they're encouraged to by--diet and exercise (all comes back to that). Your diet doesn't sound very encouraging, so far. The exercise sounds insufficient. Physical activity--casual walking, stopping-- isn't really exercise.  

image.png.42a613bc273a218d60b455fc54d7f95c.png

Worry about the TG/HDL ratio, much more important than the LDL. Bring down the TG, bring up the HDL.

image.png.be94d9cfec526366b1c0ce6f2dd80bdd.png

Then statins for prevention of CVD are not warranted for those with elevated LDL who maintain a low TG:HDL ratio.

Most docs are way out of date. In general, you can't really medicate your way to good health by masking symptoms, though it's comforting to think so.

• Like 1

I don't worry about it.  <period> 

Do I have "high cholesterol?"  Yep.  I also have had MRIs and CAT scans done in the last couple of years  What do my arteries look like?  Pretty da*m good considering my age (over 70).  
My sister is the same.  She has some really scary high cholesterol readings.  And she has no Arteriosclerosis issues.  Neither one of us seem to have the profile that killed our parents - like a lifetime of smoking and drinking. 

We don't smoke.  We drink in moderation.

Why worry?  But if you need to?  Take statins.  Then you can worry about your liver. 

Best to take life as it comes, do your own research (no I don't 'trust experts), and live the life your allotted. 

Best of luck!  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, connda said:

I don't worry about it.  <period> 

Do I have "high cholesterol?"  Yep.  I also have had MRIs and CAT scans done in the last couple of years  What do my arteries look like?  Pretty da*m good considering my age (over 70).  
My sister is the same.  She has some really scary high cholesterol readings.  And she has no Arteriosclerosis issues.  Neither one of us seem to have the profile that killed our parents - like a lifetime of smoking and drinking. 

We don't smoke.  We drink in moderation.

Why worry?  But if you need to?  Take statins.  Then you can worry about your liver. 

Best to take life as it comes, do your own research (no I don't 'trust experts), and live the life your allotted. 

Best of luck!  :thumbsup:

If you don't trust experts then surely you trust nobody?

10 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Most docs are way out of date. In general, you can't really medicate your way to good health by masking symptoms, though it's comforting to think so.

Yea ... it's an industry within itself  ????

A work in progress for me.  My brother actually weened himself off his MS meds.  Against his doc's advice ... ????  Never felt better and completely symptom free now, for the past 10 ish years.  Damn expensive stuff also.  Early retirement would have been impossible if he had to pay for it, even just the deductibles.  Silly priced USA healthcare.

Probably why he'll never visit me here, as heat was a trigger for him. ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 2

50 minutes ago, DavisH said:

A vegetarian colleague has high cholesterol....probably from the daily eggs she eats and high car intake. Excessive sugar is known to increase LDL (the "bad" small particle LDL). 

eggs do cause bad cholesterol to go up, not high carb intake (rice, Potatoes, bread), also plenty of people eat loads of sugar incl me with low LDL so that's cobblers too

6 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Chicken eggs are an affordable source of protein and other nutrients. They're also naturally high in cholesterol. But the cholesterol in eggs doesn't seem to raise cholesterol levels the way some other foods, such as those high in trans fats and saturated fats, do.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/expert-answers/cholesterol/faq-20058468

Dr Ekberg did an extreme experiment to prove eggs cause cholesterol, his cholesterol flew up. Personally i eat eggs but minimise it now

https://youtu.be/aAC9xCinLnk

Screenshot_2022-12-16-15-21-17-874_com.google.android.youtube~2.jpg

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Dr Ekberg did an extreme experiment to prove eggs cause cholesterol, his cholesterol flew up. Personally i eat eggs but minimise it now

The article I linked said up to 7 eggs a week. That "experiment" proves nothing as no sane person would eat like that.

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

eggs do cause bad cholesterol to go up

Members here believing in "like causes like" remind me of old Chinese men drinking snake blood to make themselves more viral or eating tiger penis for an aphrodisiac. So ignorant, really.

14 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

not high carb intake (rice, Potatoes, bread)

Yes, high carb intake, notably sugar, combined with overall excess calories. You're still following that quack McDougall. 

15 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

plenty of people eat loads of sugar incl me with low LDL

Outliers don't prove the rule, and we don't have the total picture. It's merely a variation of the George Burns Hail Mary principle of awesome ANF Longevity Science. I'd highly advise our members not to be eating loads of sugar. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Typical straw man argument, as nobody has advocated eating excessive anything except yourself eating loads of sugar. And you've begged the question of the definition of "excessive." Meaningless.

"excessive" is debatable, sounds you eat a lot of meat many of us would consider excessive. I eat meat but less and less each year, no need really

Edited by scubascuba3

My cholesterol, especially the "bad one", is sky-high. Same as my mother (genetics, not diet). I also have some ominous lipoprotein that is abnormally high. I decided not to take any statins. By nature I'm skinny and not muscular: if I take statins what will be left of me? Plus, cholesterol is essential to testosterone synthesis, and that's something I don't want to tamper with either.

Statins also carry a higher risk of diabetes so that is also to be brought into the balance.

I am 63 and my cholesterol was found to be sky-high over a decade ago. So far no complaint. I take sildenafil 200 times per year.

P.S. Posters who go on about diet and eggs would do well to revise the science about where body cholesterol comes from IMO. If I've understood right only one third of blood cholesterol comes from the diet. The other two thirds are manufactured by the liver and are not amenable to be reduced by dieting.

Edited by JackGats
  • Like 1

i had similar numbers to the OP.  10mg crestor daily (generic name is the R one many mention).  been a few years now.  years ago, i was in the low 200's and when i stopped cycling as often as i used to, it spiked up.  riding in bangkok isn't quite the same as santa monica CA and marin county CA.  haven't noticed any side effects.

Just now, ChrisKC said:

Hasn't uploaded, will do it again

Normal   Normal   Normal Normal Normal  
    70-99   150 -200   35 - 55 66 - 178 10 -180  
    GLUCOSE   CHOLESTEROL          
            HDL LDL Triglyceride  

08/12/07   126   255   54 159 208  

30/01/08   100   184   47 110 136  

Improvement   21.00%   28.00%   13.00% 31.00% 35.00%  

Normal   These improvements arise from the following actions:          

High   90% reduction in alcohol consumption replacing with fresh fruit juice, more water and fat free milk          

Near   90% reduction in added sugar from daily cereal, tea and coffee (about 10 teaspoons)          

25% increase in fish in the diet – accent on Omega 3          

25 grams twice a week cashews or walnuts          

At this time in my life only little exercise but not really any changes for the period          

No medical intervention