VAT collection by customs.

BusyB

I am expecting a small package from Europe via DHL, which will be passed on to Thailand Post for delivery here.

It looks like I will have to pay somewhere between 500 and 750 baht VAT. There should be no duty according to WTO schedules which LOS is signatory to.

How do they collect that? COD? Bank transfer? Credit card? Cash at the local Post Office? - then how will they inform me? Do I have to pick it up in BKK?

I have never done this before so I'm grateful for any experienced replies.

1 hour ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Before others here misunderstand it: OP is probably from Germany, where regular post parcels are handled by DHL, this has nothing to do with DHL express, and as he correctly stated himself already, here in Thailand the parcel will be handled by Thailand post.

You can be lucky and the parcel just arrives at your home without you paying anything.

If they want you to pay you will get a letter to your home, telling you to which post office you have to go and how much you have to pay. Then you have to go to the post office, pay what's due and then you get the parcel.

If this letter doesn't arrive, you can also just check the tracking on the Thailand Post website. Once the tracking says that the parcel is at the post office and you have to pay duties you can just go there and tell them that they have a parcel for you, the letter is not required to pickup the parcel.

If you are super unlucky (has happened to me twice, probably 100+ parcels) customs will keep the parcel and you have to go there, open it yourself for them to inspect it, and then pay them, but the chance for this to happen is small, they would also send you a letter informing you about this, or you can see it in the tracking.

This ^^^^

If going to the Post office to collect make sure you have ID with you.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Before others here misunderstand it: OP is probably from Germany, where regular post parcels are handled by DHL, this has nothing to do with DHL express, and as he correctly stated himself already, here in Thailand the parcel will be handled by Thailand post.

You can be lucky and the parcel just arrives at your home without you paying anything.

If they want you to pay you will get a letter to your home, telling you to which post office you have to go and how much you have to pay. Then you have to go to the post office, pay what's due and then you get the parcel.

If this letter doesn't arrive, you can also just check the tracking on the Thailand Post website. Once the tracking says that the parcel is at the post office and you have to pay duties you can just go there and tell them that they have a parcel for you, the letter is not required to pickup the parcel.

If you are super unlucky (has happened to me twice, probably 100+ parcels) customs will keep the parcel and you have to go there, open it yourself for them to inspect it, and then pay them, but the chance for this to happen is small, they would also send you a letter informing you about this, or you can see it in the tracking.

Thanks very much. I hoped it would be the post office, but was worried it might also be swampy customs. Fingers crossed. And yes, I'm tracking it.

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

This ^^^^

If going to the Post office to collect make sure you have ID with you.

Thanks for the tip Charlie, however experience taught me a lifetime ago never to go to anything with the word ''office'' in its title without ID ????

• Like 2

If Thailand post, they would bring you a piece of paper with your name and information about parcel+importing costs/service fees/etc.

You go to the post office listed (in central Bangkok it was usually the one near Saphan Khwai BTS station), where you bring your passport/ID card, pay the duty and accept the box.

However, you can also fill out the form, sign it, hand copy of your passport and give it to someone else to pick up for you (instructions in Thai and English are on that piece of paper postman leaves you). I've done that several times with trusted Win drivers in front of my previous residence. So you don't have to collect it in person, you can send someone else.

If it is DHL delivering, they would call you and send you email and demand you pay the import duties (heavily padded) on their website to release parcel. Once paid, they deliver to your home as normal parcels that don't have duty to pay. If you refuse, they'll return it to sender. But you could also contact sender and ask them to pay duty from the other end (depending on situation).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/16/2022 at 4:22 PM, BusyB said:

How do they collect that? COD? Bank transfer? Credit card? Cash at the local Post Office? - then how will they inform me? Do I have to pick it up in BKK?

I had a phone call from the Thailand Post office for my area yesterday (they used to send a notice by post), told me that a parcel from Japan was there and there was B1,020 duty to pay.  Has to be paid in cash and I took it home with me.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Time to update. 

500g tea so theoretically not dutiable. Value just short of €200.

DHL had it ready to ship at FRA airport on 16.12

Arrived in BKK 21.12, cleared customs and Thailand Post import center and arrived Ratchaburi hub by 24.12

Delivered on 29.12

No duties or claims for VAT. (German VAT paid.)

Thanks for all the info you guys posted.

Have a Happy and Safe New Year ???? everyone ... 

Edit: by the way, came across the

simplyduty.com

site on my wonderings. Covers a lot of questions that get asked on the forum. 3 free calculations a day.

Edited by BusyB
  • Like 2

DHL asked me to pay with bank app when parcel arrived in BKK, transfer easy done in a minute online.

I now order food from home, previously I never knew how much to pay on arrival.

Since last autumn a new system is in place, all fees get calculated before checkout payment, and nothing to pay when parcel arrive in Thailand.

Duty Vat seems to be less on food products than a year ago, when I never dare to order more than 2,500 baht, since duty vat varied on previous orders and was quit high.

Now I order for up to 8,000 baht, and vat duty is reasonable low, compared to 1 year ago.

• Thanks 1