Any legal protection from getting fired

I work in an office environment for a large corporation. And I have been having issues with my senior manager.

Basically, its an open office and he seats not far from me and he does conference calls without any headset.

As I need to focus on my work I find this a distraction as you can hear the whole conversation over the speakers.

I have asked him polity to wear an headset many times or take his calls into an office, I have also spoken to HR about this issue and asked them to tell him. I think he looks at me as a junior rank that has no business asking him to do that.

I think he is getting very frustrated with me asking him. There are many private offices where he can work in. The other day I asked him and he refused so I just abruptly moved all my equipment to work in another part of the office. I think I will do this in the future rather than ask him again. But he might think I have stepped over the mark.

I think now he might recommended me for being fired for having an attitude problem or an abruptive nature as he is getting fed up with me. I have decided to bite the bullet and work in another part of the office and keep my head down. But I am not sure if its too late for this now.

We have a very good HR department and they are understanding on this issue. And they do follow procedures correctly.

Do I have any legal protection from getting fired if I think its unfair?

Heh, it's worse as a teacher in Thailand. As you might've heard, a small percentage of what most Thai teachers do is actually teach. A much larger portion is hanging around each other's offices to chit chat and gossip. I think I liked it better when I barely knew any Thai, because now that I can understand them it's all so asinine. Mostly just the latest about what certain coworkers or students are doing, totally meaningless as nothing ever's done about it, and bragging about whichever new expensive thing they're going to buy, or trip they're going to take, which they certainly can't afford on their salaries, yet do so by adding to their debt.

"Could you please go away or quiet down, so I can do my work?" Uh-uh. I otherwise like this job and would rather hang onto it. Thus, I've found the solutions to be: 1) headphones, 2) learn their timing so that you can make yourself scarce before the chattering arrives. Take your laptop, and go hang out at the nearby coffee shop. Leave some stuff on your desk so they'll know you'll be back, and didn't just take off early.

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Perhaps you can apolgise and find another way of solving the issue.

For the future going forward starting from Monday. I will work in another part of the office and just avoid this situation all together. Maybe it will all be forgotten soon and keeping my head down.

However,  if he is unhappy with me asking him then a warning should be issued first.

You pick a fight with the boss and now running scared? Seen people like this all my working life. Usually people trying to get some leverage on the boss to cover their own lack of performance or ineptitude. You're not going to win this one. Keep your head down and look for another job ASAP. Try not to repeat your behavior in your next position 

Bose noise cancelling headphones.

Not sure if you can wear headphones and listen to music, but have done this in the past while working on complex data analysis. 

As a thought, have a loud speaker discussion with HR whilst discussing he's having one of his loud speaker conversations!

More scientific ways to control open office noise are plants and acoustic desk dividers. Maybe the new Thai growth horticultural industry could provide a solution!

Have you thought of approaching his boss?

Screenshot_20221217-122822_Chrome.jpg.86ff741673b5971c52c07ea7f5e8029c.jpg