Party on for New Year, say Bangkok officials, but don’t forget your face mask

webfact

More of an issue at hand right now, and in a country itching to open, and whom Thailand expects visitors from is this report which is pretty alarming. Not sure how this plays into the New Years count down closures but Thailand as much as they say they are open for business is concerned about something. Is it the optics of the sunken Navy Frigate combined with someone's health, the PMs decision to switch parties or what is it that has caused the fragility as discussed in a news piece we can post from.

https://amp-cnn-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/12/23/china/china-covid-infections-250-million-intl-hnk/index.html?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#amp_tf=From %1%24s&aoh=16719555335864&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F2022%2F12%2F23%2Fchina%2Fchina-covid-infections-250-million-intl-hnk%2Findex.html

Hong Kong(CNN): Almost 250 million people in China may have caught Covid-19 in the first 20 days of December, according to an internal estimate from the nation's top health officials, Bloomberg News and the Financial Times reported Friday.

If correct, the estimate -- which CNN cannot independently confirm -- would account for roughly 18% of China's 1.4 billion people and represent the largest Covid-19 outbreak to date globally.

Edited by ThailandRyan

21 hours ago, sandrew33 said:

Well, there is literally no evidence that mask mass wearing anywhere has achieved anything and the current situations in China and Japan illustrate that perfectly. 

That is nonsense and illogical. The very fact that the infection numbers were kept down in these countries is testament that their methods achieved that. Whether it was the right approach when Omicron came along is a more relevant debate.  

USA might be an example where mask wearing was poorly followed and over a million died because of it. 

Edited by jacko45k

21 hours ago, actonion said:

Covid on the rise in tourist areas?  maybe   its  due to   Thais coming to tourist areas working,   many un- vaccinated  elderly Thais  in the villages,    plus thousands of Thais returning to the villages  for New year, lets see if there is another rise early 2023...

Maybe maybe mightbe.... If I recall correctly last Songkran was expected to produce a rise and it was either well hidden or never happened... there are just too many variables most times to draw conclusions... and then the nonsensical cover-ups some countries perform. 

21 hours ago, sandrew33 said:

Right. But the masks aren’t helping are they? 

You need to stop banging on about masks and get on with life... you are sounding obsessed. We are hardly ever wearing them now in Pattaya.. I haven't for over a week. But if I need to get on a bus up north, I would do so as Thais feel them still necessary....

• Like 1

On 12/25/2022 at 9:45 AM, sandrew33 said:

And my 1300 co workers? 

In our building people wear them to enter as it’s a large commercial building but once they hit our floors they largely take them off. I’d suggest maybe 20% wear them in the office and 99% wear them to enter and leave the office. 

Summarising the most common observation it’s “it’s easier for Thai to just wear them so other people don’t scold” 

You have to be right, your a foreigner.

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

That is nonsense and illogical. The very fact that the infection numbers were kept down in these countries is testament that their methods achieved that. Whether it was the right approach when Omicron came along is a more relevant debate.  

USA might be an example where mask wearing was poorly followed and over a million died because of it. 

I lived in a country with virtually no Covid for 2 years. It had nothing to do with masks (we mostly didn’t wear them). 

When we did wear them we had a surge in cases. China is wearing masks now and has had according to some dubious numbers 250m cases in 3 weeks. Why aren’t masks helping? 

There is literally no real world evidence that supports mass mask wearing does anything since Omicron arrived. Staggering that anyone doesn’t get this yet 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, sandrew33 said:

I lived in a country with virtually no Covid for 2 years. It had nothing to do with masks (we mostly didn’t wear them). 

When we did wear them we had a surge in cases. China is wearing masks now and has had according to some dubious numbers 250m cases in 3 weeks. Why aren’t masks helping? 

There is literally no real world evidence that supports mass mask wearing does anything since Omicron arrived. Staggering that anyone doesn’t get this yet 

Tell me what country had no Covid for 2 years....show me the data to verify your very outlandish statement. If NZ or Aus then enough said based on complete lockdowns like China.

Edited by ThailandRyan

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Tell me what country had no Covid for 2 years....show me the data to verify your very outlandish statement. If NZ or Aus then enough said based on complete lockdowns like China.

By the way, for those arguing Thailand has done so well, most sensible people who pay attention understand cases have been underreported throughout and that deaths haven’t been reported in the same way as most countries in the West. 

The most useful stat is excess deaths it’s harder to hide truth. 

Here’s a comparison of Thailand, Australia and Japan. By comparison Thailand is significantly worse and increasingly so. Japan is rapidly gaining on Oz after hiding for longer. Australia has essentially been open for a year. 

But Thailand has a much higher rate of excess deaths despite its claims of greater virtue and greater mask wearing. 

In fact outside the US it’s my Thai friends & colleagues who have had Covid more often than elsewhere.  It’s our Thai offices that have had much higher rates of Covid related sick leave. 

But hey masks right? 

I understand I won’t convert an old zealot so hope you have a great new year ???? 

9EF5EECB-FB8B-453F-ABE1-A72177433B8F.jpeg