Passport about to expire

37 minutes ago, sanook 1 said:

would they issue a new visa (non o) at savanakhet or vientaine to be valid until the expire date of the passport? Pp expire august next year. 

As you have a valid current passport, I see no problem with a (non o) being issued, you will have to transfer it to the new passport at immigration though, for I believe it's 500 baht when you receive your renew passport.

Joe should be along soon to confirm this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

You are awful, and wrong, if you go to immigration with your new PP they DO transfer it, but not necessary until you apply for your next Visa/extension. In my personal experience. 

Tell me how you transfer a visa sticker.

Only exit/entry stamps are transferred to a new passport when someone holds a "visa:".

Edited by hotandsticky
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Joe is awol.

You don't transfer "visas", they remain in the old passport.

Perhaps I should have been clearer in my previous post below copied and pasted:

"As you have a valid current passport, I see no problem with a (non o) being issued, you will have to transfer it to the new passport at immigration though, for I believe it's 500 baht when you receive your renew passport".

You will have to have immigration apply stamps to your new passport regarding your (non-o) visa and pay the 500 baht fee.

You are correct, they do not transfer the fixed sticker to the new passport.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

The passport expires in August!  Therefore, it still has about 9 months before it's invalid. 

What's the problem? 

The only issue is his 90 day border runs. He will need to retain his passport (if he uses an agent) after submitting the renewal.

3 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

The only issue is his 90 day border runs. He will need to retain his passport (if he uses an agent) after submitting the renewal.

Those days may be numbered if reports about Immigration crackdowns on agents are correct.

1 minute ago, Old Croc said:

Those days may be numbered if reports about Immigration crackdowns on agents are correct.

There has never been any attempt to prevent Savannaket (for example) issuing 'soft' Non-Imm 'O') Marriage visas.

As for a crackdown on agents - I have heard that for 17 years. Too many Immigration snouts in that particular trough.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

As for a crackdown on agents - I have heard that for 17 years. Too many Immigration snouts in that particular trough.

The subject came up yesterday in this YouTube video:

Watch from 2.00 minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

As you have a valid current passport, I see no problem with a (non o) being issued, you will have to transfer it to the new passport at immigration though, for I believe it's 500 baht when you receive your renew passport.

Joe should be along soon to confirm this.

ITS free with the note ur embassy gives ya>
OR you can carry both passports around with you till the visa/extension expires, at which time your initial stamp INTO thailand in the old passport will be transferred to new passport
also for free

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Dan O said:

I believe they will issue it to match the expiration of his passport if he doesn't get a new pp before and not the full 12 months. I may be incorrect but that's my understanding

That is certainly true of an extension, but I think it is not correct for a visa. That is why you have to carry the old passport (with the visa sticker) and the new passport - into which any immigration stamps are transferred.

3 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

You cannot transfer the visa to the new passport, you will need to carry old and new passports when traveling/doing a border run.

That's odd, when my UK passport was renewed the Thai visa information was transferred into the new one so that I did not have to carry both.

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That's odd, when my UK passport was renewed the Thai visa information was transferred into the new one so that I did not have to carry both.

Could you show that perhaps?  Suspect appears that way but what was entered was a notation that you had such and such a visa and you, entered and are permitted to stay until date.  Takes up almost 2 pages but does not transfer a visa and unless you were using multi entry visa it is all you need so old passport done.  If you have multi entry visa however, you would still require showing both passports to get stamped in on the new one each time.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

ITS free with the note ur embassy gives ya>
OR you can carry both passports around with you till the visa/extension expires, at which time your initial stamp INTO thailand in the old passport will be transferred to new passport
also for free

I will be renewing my 2013-2023 passport for the first time since living here on my Non O for 7 years.

My marriage extension is due for renewal end January 2023 and my passport expires in November 2023 a couple of months before my next marriage extension is due, so the question I have for you is, what note should I ask my embassy when renewing my passport, that might save me 500 baht as I have heard that the transfer of stamps to the new passport is 500 baht, or is that just another immigration scam, or must one have that note to save the 500 baht ?

Thanks in advance as I learn as I go.

As usual there is often a clash in terminology use of visa and extension.

I can however confirm having just been through this myself.

1. An extension is only issued for the validity of the current passport.

2.On obtaining a NEW passport supported with embassy letter, they transfer previous extension information into it.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

I will be renewing my 2013-2023 passport for the first time since living here on my Non O for 7 years.

My marriage extension is due for renewal end January 2023 and my passport expires in November 2023 a couple of months before my next marriage extension is due, so the question I have for you is, what note should I ask my embassy when renewing my passport, that might save me 500 baht as I have heard that the transfer of stamps to the new passport is 500 baht, or is that just another immigration scam, or must one have that note to save the 500 baht ?

Thanks in advance as I learn as I go.

How long will it take to get your new passport?

• Thanks 1