Passport about to expire

Just now, hotandsticky said:

How long will it take to get your new passport?

I will have to go over to Laos (day trip) and from what I am hearing from everyone, anywhere between 6-12 weeks so I am thinking of renewing it about October so it would be back before my new extension is due in January.

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I will have to go over to Laos (day trip) and from what I am hearing from everyone, anywhere between 6-12 weeks so I am thinking of renewing it about October so it would be back before my new extension is due in January.

Your marriage extension will only be granted until November, the expiry date of your passport. expiry 

7 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Your marriage extension will only be granted until November, the expiry date of your passport. expiry 

I'm a little confused.

My next extension is due on or up to 31 January and I will apply for renewal on Tuesday the 20 December, that said, it will be good for another 12 months, e.g. 31 January 2023 to 31 January 2024.

I intend on renewing my passport in October 2023 to give it time to come back before the 31st January 2024 whereby I would then apply for my next extension within the 45 days before or on the 31st January 2024.

Are you saying that my intending extension will only be good till November when my passport date expires ?

If that's the case, then I would have to apply for a new passport in August 2023.

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Are you saying that my intending extension will only be good till November when my passport date expires ?

Extensions of stay are only valid to the expiration date of passport they are issued in.  You can not legally stay in country without a valid passport.  So yes you need to get new passport in hand before expiration date of current passport and transfer current information/make new extension of stay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, lopburi3 said:

Extensions of stay are only valid to the expiration date of passport they are issued in.  You can not legally stay in country without a valid passport.  So yes you need to get new passport in hand before expiration date of current passport and transfer current information/make new extension of stay.

I learn something everyday, ok, so I will make a note to go to my embassy in Laos in August (3 months) before the intending 12 month extension that I am about to apply for expires prematurely in November 2023 vs January 2024 if my passport wasn't expiring if that makes sense.

Thx ????

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Perhaps I should have been clearer in my previous post below copied and pasted:

"As you have a valid current passport, I see no problem with a (non o) being issued, you will have to transfer it to the new passport at immigration though, for I believe it's 500 baht when you receive your renew passport".

You will have to have immigration apply stamps to your new passport regarding your (non-o) visa and pay the 500 baht fee.

You are correct, they do not transfer the fixed sticker to the new passport.

I have just received my new UK passport together with a letter from the UK embassy requesting that Thai immigration place a replacement visa in the new passport. That is what immigration will do There can be no argument about that. Where there is a difference of opinion is regarding Thai immigration charging 500 Baht for the service. That is wrong. The replacement visa is free however some local immigration offices like to make an off-the-record charge for it. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

You are wrong.

We are talking about VISAS.....see Lopburis full response.

VISAS cannot be transferred; you are getting confused with extensions where they (and the related stamps) are transferred to the new passport.

This thread is about VISAS, not extensions.

I got three stamps in my new passport when I took it to Immigration with the old one.

TR 2014, NON-O 2014, NON-RE 2019. Plus a bigger stamp which had dates of 2010 and 2014.

On that basis, I'd say you are the one that's wrong.

1 minute ago, Muhendis said:

I have just received my new UK passport together with a letter from the UK embassy requesting that Thai immigration place a replacement visa in the new passport. That is what immigration will do There can be no argument about that. Where there is a difference of opinion is regarding Thai immigration charging 500 Baht for the service. That is wrong. The replacement visa is free however some local immigration offices like to make an off-the-record charge for it. 

Thx ????

That clears it up alot.

I will have the wife ask for me when we are there next week to confirm that I will need to return to obtain the transfer stamps in my new passport in November with a letter from the my embassy with there being no charge.

Depending on their response, we will see if there is a 500 baht fee and what head office says in preparation.

2 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

That is certainly true of an extension, but I think it is not correct for a visa. That is why you have to carry the old passport (with the visa sticker) and the new passport - into which any immigration stamps are transferred.

I should have written with more clarity. The visa will be a 12 month visa but that only grants you the ability to enter the country in that category with its restriction. But upon entering the country  you are stamped in for on a permission to stay and I believe they will only stamp you until your pp expiry date. If you renew the pp before the expiry they will transfer the stamp (new stamp) to the new pp and extend the date. Again I may be wrong but if memory serves me that what happened to me several years ago in similar situation 

11 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

requesting that Thai immigration place a replacement visa in the new passport.

They will not do any such thing regardless of your Embassy request - when they will do we have outlined - make notation in new passport of visa, entry, extensions and provide a new permitted to stay until stamp to the same date as in old passport.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Could you show that perhaps?  Suspect appears that way but what was entered was a notation that you had such and such a visa and you, entered and are permitted to stay until date.  Takes up almost 2 pages but does not transfer a visa and unless you were using multi entry visa it is all you need so old passport done.  If you have multi entry visa however, you would still require showing both passports to get stamped in on the new one each time.

You are quite right. If you enter the country on a SE visa the visa becomes "Used" and effectively superceded by the permission to stay stamp.

I was on a ME Non O when I got a new passport and immigration put a stamp in my passport that had the previous passport number on it, mode of transport and the date when I had entered the country. They also added an entry(airport) stamp, all on one page. Other than "Non O" neither stamp had the visa number or any other visa related detail, so if I had tried to re-enter on the visa I would have needed the old passport for the visa details.

Of course it is not out of the question for other offices to do things differently but at the end of the day it is the IO on entry that will have the final word.

39 minutes ago, Dan O said:

But upon entering the country  you are stamped in for on a permission to stay and I believe they will only stamp you until your pp expiry date.

On entry your passport must be valid for the duration of stay but most airlines insist on 6 months validity.

6 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

They should issue the visa for 12 months. 

The visa validity is unrelated to the expiry date of your passport. You cannot transfer the visa to the new passport, you will need to carry old and new passports when traveling/doing a border run.

Visa validity will be till your passport expiry date. If you want 1 yr extension you must have 1 yr on your passport 

56 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

I have just received my new UK passport together with a letter from the UK embassy requesting that Thai immigration place a replacement visa in the new passport.

You are wrong in your interpretation. The letter only asks immigration to assist in transferring information in respect of visa status. It certainly does not ask immigration to put a visa in your passport. When I gave immigration the letter, they glanced at it and handed it back, not of any interest.

It is a great many years since even a UK consulate has put a new visa in a new passport.

25 minutes ago, sandyf said:

On entry your passport must be valid for the duration of stay but most airlines insist on 6 months validity.

Airlines follow the country regulations registered with IATA system that shows on their screen at check in.  I believe Thailand only recommends 6 months remaining at time if entry but not a law to issue a visa but will only stamp your permission to stay thru your expiry date on your pp

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I got three stamps in my new passport when I took it to Immigration with the old one.

TR 2014, NON-O 2014, NON-RE 2019. Plus a bigger stamp which had dates of 2010 and 2014.

On that basis, I'd say you are the one that's wrong.

My point was that a VISA is valid in old passport and you carry the old passport with the new passport. There is no need to go anywhere near Immigration. The new passport will have exit/entry stamps only until you obtain a new visa (or decide to apply for an extension). 

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

You are wrong in your interpretation. The letter only asks immigration to assist in transferring information in respect of visa status. It certainly does not ask immigration to put a visa in your passport. When I gave immigration the letter, they glanced at it and handed it back, not of any interest.

It is a great many years since even a UK consulate has put a new visa in a new passport.

I did not interpret anything. I quote exactly what was written in the letter. 

"The British Embassy would  be most grateful if you would kindly stamp (name's) replacement passport with a replacement visa".

Make of that what you will but I will be going to immigration on Monday and will let this thread know what was said/done.

Watch this space.

9 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

Make of that what you will but I will be going to immigration on Monday and will let this thread know what was said/done.

Watch this space

No need.

Visas are not transferred. 

Reference to visa details are made in new passport.

Any stamps for current extension and reentry permit stamps are transfered.

Be aware that some immigration offices insist that transfers must be done at office where the extension etc was issued. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

My point was that a VISA is valid in old passport and you carry the old passport with the new passport. There is no need to go anywhere near Immigration. The new passport will have exit/entry stamps only until you obtain a new visa (or decide to apply for an extension). 

I am somewhat confused by your statement, why would I cart an old passport around with me if I have visa stamps in the new one?

I last entered Thailand in February 2020, with the new passport. From that, I am assuming the visa was transferred to the new passport, otherwise I would have been refused entry.

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I am somewhat confused by your statement, why would I cart an old passport around with me if I have visa stamps in the new one?

I last entered Thailand in February 2020, with the new passport. From that, I am assuming the visa was transferred to the new passport, otherwise I would have been refused entry.

I'm confused by your post.

What visa did you have in previous pp. 

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You are confused.

In the context of this thread you would not have any visa stamps in a new passport. In this example the guy has a visa (from Savannaket) in his passport; he gets a new passport.

He has 2 passports, one with a visa in and one is virgin. Nothing to be transferred. He does his 90 day visa run (or just leaves the country) and his new passport gets stamped. That is it. Nothing is transferred.

13 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

You are confused.

In the context of this thread you would not have any visa stamps in a new passport. In this example the guy has a visa (from Savannaket) in his passport; he gets a new passport.

He has 2 passports, one with a visa in and one is virgin. Nothing to be transferred. He does his 90 day visa run (or just leaves the country) and his new passport gets stamped. That is it. Nothing is transferred.

At some point, does he not have to get his virgin passport stamped with a transferred visa? Or does he continue to carry his old passport around with him for the next ten years?

I can understand what you are saying with a freshly minted passport, not one that is six or twelve months old.

14 hours ago, Dan O said:

but will only stamp your permission to stay thru your expiry date on your pp

They will stamp your permission to stay based on the visa status being used for entry.

Thailand has a 6 month requirement on passports for airlines. I was denied boarding with 5 months remaining.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lacessit said:

At some point, does he not have to get his virgin passport stamped with a transferred visa? Or does he continue to carry his old passport around with him for the next ten years?

I can understand what you are saying with a freshly minted passport, not one that is six or twelve months old.

No.

I had this situation a few back.

I obtained my visa from Hull (in the good old days) which was valid for 12 months. After 6 months I renewed my passport. My visa was still valid for 6 months so I had to carry that passport, the new one being used for travel. After that 6 months I obtained a new visa from Hull in the new passport.

Towards the end of that visa I applied for an extension of stay based on retirement.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Muhendis said:

I did not interpret anything. I quote exactly what was written in the letter. 

"The British Embassy would  be most grateful if you would kindly stamp (name's) replacement passport with a replacement visa".

Watch this space.

The Embassy have changed the wording and they are wrong to put it that way, in your naivity you have accepted the misuse of the term visa.

The bottom line is you will never get a replacement visa, the visa used to enter the country will remain in place until you leave and re-enter on a different visa. Immigration will only carry forward some info from previous passport and most importantly place a new permission to stay stamp in the new passport.

This kind of issue is not really surprising as they got rid of the experienced embassy staff with the move to India.

10 hours ago, Lacessit said:

All he needs in new passport are entry/exit/permitted to stay stamps unless extending his stay or using a new visa for entry.  Multi entry visa remains valid in old passport (but in the case of Thailand that would normally only be one year - for USA 10 years would be normal as most tourist visas are multi entry and have 10 year validity).

18 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Old visa information is entered in new UK passports, I know this because my current passport has the first page-and-a-bit filled with the old visa details, courtesy of Immigration.

The UK has not put visas in a passport for over a year now, they are a separate piece of paper.

In due course the whole issue will disappear.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

They will stamp your permission to stay based on the visa status being used for entry.

Thailand has a 6 month requirement on passports for airlines. I was denied boarding with 5 months remaining.

In thailand its a recommendation on the 6 month not a law. They have the descretion at all times to deny entry for any number of reasons.

Airlines action are separate and they have guidance on their IATA system of the regulations of each country they fly to. If they make a decision on their own it may be their own policy which may or may not match the Thai guidance. 2 different issues.

As I said before I believe Thailand will only stamp you in for the length of your passport validity. You can't be in country with an expired pp is my understanding of the regulations, regardless of your visa category.

We don't seem to agree so that's fine. Have a great day 

On 12/17/2022 at 10:31 AM, 4MyEgo said:

As you have a valid current passport, I see no problem with a (non o) being issued, you will have to transfer it to the new passport at immigration though, for I believe it's 500 baht when you receive your renew passport.

Joe should be along soon to confirm this.

No charge to transfer visa 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1