Passport about to expire

7 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

No.

I had this situation a few back.

I obtained my visa from Hull (in the good old days) which was valid for 12 months. After 6 months I renewed my passport. My visa was still valid for 6 months so I had to carry that passport, the new one being used for travel. After that 6 months I obtained a new visa from Hull in the new passport.

Towards the end of that visa I applied for an extension of stay based on retirement.

Read my original post again. I was granted a non-O visa based on retirement in 2014. I got my new passport in 2019, and a non-RE stamp was put in it by CM Immigration. I have only traveled in and out of Thailand since then with the new passport. If what you say is correct, I should not have been able to.

16 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Read my original post again. I was granted a non-O visa based on retirement in 2014. I got my new passport in 2019, and a non-RE stamp was put in it by CM Immigration. I have only traveled in and out of Thailand since then with the new passport. If what you say is correct, I should not have been able to.

A non o visa is only valid for 90 days - and a multi entry one year.  It appears you obtained extension of stay for retirement and re-entry permits to allow exit/return.  That re-entry permit is what allows you to enter and the extension of stay is the amount of time allowed.  nothing to do with visas once extensions of stay start.

18 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

A non o visa is only valid for 90 days - and a multi entry one year.  It appears you obtained extension of stay for retirement and re-entry permits to allow exit/return.  That re-entry permit is what allows you to enter and the extension of stay is the amount of time allowed.  nothing to do with visas once extensions of stay start.

Answer what I think is are simple questions, please. Where is my visa? Is it in the old passport, or the new one? Do I even need it in the new one?

The Australian Consulate put a stamp in my old passport saying either "Cancelled" or "Void" , can't remember which. I don't even have the old passport now.

I was under the impression a non-O visa based on retirement was valid for 1 year.

36 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Answer what I think is are simple questions, please. Where is my visa? Is it in the old passport, or the new one? Do I even need it in the new one?

The Australian Consulate put a stamp in my old passport saying either "Cancelled" or "Void" , can't remember which. I don't even have the old passport now.

I was under the impression a non-O visa based on retirement was valid for 1 year.

1.  Your visa was used years ago - a notation of it would have been placed in your new passport but not the visa.

2.  Immigration will have records so old passport is not required.  Current passport will have permitted to stay stamp and re-entry permits if you travel.

3.  The void stamp in passport does not void any valid visa - so people with multi entry can continue to receive new 90 day entries - just as a Thai with US 10 year visa can continue to use visa in old passport.

4.  Normal retirement visa is multi entry one year O-A visa if obtained in home country these days.  O visa used to be normal and can also be issued but more often for wife - but can still be used for retirement extensions of stay.  Non immigrant visas are normally one entry or multi entry.  Multi entry is valid for one year (but if new entry just before expiration can cover almost 15 months.

• Thanks 1

On 12/17/2022 at 8:12 PM, Muhendis said:

I did not interpret anything. I quote exactly what was written in the letter. 

"The British Embassy would  be most grateful if you would kindly stamp (name's) replacement passport with a replacement visa".

Make of that what you will but I will be going to immigration on Monday and will let this thread know what was said/done.

Watch this space.

Just got back from Buriram immigration office.

First:

I was told there would be a charge of 500 Baht for "Visa transfer". I told the young lady receptionist that was not right because it is a free service.

She went away only to return after a few minutes to reiterate the requirement for 500 Baht. Once again I told her that was wrong and asked why she wanted me to pay. She went away and half an hour later I was given back my old and new passports with no charge for "visa transfer".

Second:

This thing about "visa transfer" is, as others have mentioned, a bit misleading.

What I got was a rubber stamp for each original visa that was in my old passport. Information added to the rubber stamp was the date of issue, the place of issue, the type of visa and the expiry date. Also, on the next page there were a couple of stamps regarding my last extension and the date of my next extension.

I'm sure many have already said something along these lines. Apologies to you for repeating.

On 12/17/2022 at 10:31 AM, 4MyEgo said:

I believe it's 500 baht when you receive your renew passport.

There is no charge for transfer of stamps to new passport. If you get asked then ask for a receipt. They won't give you one. So don't pay. I've renewed my passport twice since living here. First time was when the officer told me of 'no charge'. Second time an officer asked for 4-500 baht. I refused to pay. No problem, got my stamps transferred and off on my merry way. Buriram is my office.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...