Concrete roof tile paint

ross163103

Has anyone painted their concrete roof tiles and if so, what paint did you use and how long has it lasted?

I'm planning this project but am worried the paint won't last. I've see some that have gone for years and others that faded and flaked within a year or so. I realize preparation is the most important thing. I plan on pressure washing the tiles, then using a primer, then finally two coats of good quality paint. Some manufacturers state their product is good for ten years so I'm counting on at least five. The most important result for me would be for it to not flake off; I don't want to have to scrape loose paint off later. 

For a test I pressure washed a few of the tiles, let them dry and then wiped my hand across them and there was no chalking left at all so I feel pretty confident this will be a good start.

I'm sure there's some info on here about this but the AseanNow search engine didn't bring up any good results.

Any ideas, suggestions or sound advice will be appreciated, thanks in advance. 

Edited by ross163103

A few years back I did!  I know exactly what should be done saw my neighbor hire a person to do it for them. They came in power washed etc. Catch here the color was change from original dark brown to a light green. After power wash a white primer was used prior to application of the light green. A year later it started to flake I could see white primer  everything was sprayed on. 

I decided to do it on my own but keep it the original dark brown.  I didn't power wash but got A special  Nozzle from U. S.  Attached turn on the water it would take your eyes out with my water pump on. After I went through the entire roof and removed loose cement and sealed I use the original brown faded color as a primer I got a wire brush broom and rough up the entire roof once again washed it down.  

I didn't use a sprayer I found cleaning all the equipment lines to be a massive undertaking for me in the past.  I did A test area with a thick roller and large brush To see if it would work not the same or quick as a sprayer but it had to do. I picked rain season cooler. Got my self cover up hat etc,  locate how the sun was located during the day use A soft broom to clean the section.  Mind my house isn't small it took me a good month and a half section by section wife, son,  neighbors thought I was nuts at my age it wasn't until the last day I was doing the front realized what was happening what I had done. A year later still looks good better than my neighbors only house that doesn't leak.  I also used high gloss oil I got a dozen or so cheap roller and brushes I never clean them when done I toss them.

To Say it was easy No would I do it again No not at my age.  Need to do our Apartment rental roof I've done the tightening of all the screws seal them plan to pay a Thai 300. Baht a day To hand paint it same as my house dame color and process.

Good luck

• Thumbs Up 1

We painted ours two years ago and it's still perfect, we went from dark brown to very light grey. The roof has to be pressure washed first and then two coats of paint applied, ideally a primer coat will be applied first. We used Synotex roof paint. BTW, the lighter color paint cut down on heat inside the house by a huge amount, we almost never use air con in the hot season and the house is actually cold during the winter months.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am also interested in doing this. Our roof is showing signs of age after 20 years. A friend of mine in Hua Hin had his done, but they also applied a thin scrim cloth over the tiles as they painted. Sort of like a fibreglass covering. No reports yet on how it is weathering. I have to note that his roof was leaking a lot, so maybe that was the reason was using the cloth as well as paint.

Lots of good information being passed on this thread.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Mintman said:

I did my roof tiles 7 years ago with TOA Roof tile paint They were Blue and we used light grey and they still look good no flaking It was done by a thai builder and i think he just applied it with no prep work Hope this is helpfull Cheers

prep work, primer....  all a waste of time and cost as you cant see it...  ohhh lasts not long?  well, I have allready gone...  silly farang.. 55555

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

I am also interested in doing this. Our roof is showing signs of age after 20 years.

Patching up old tile roofs is a loosing proposition.

Might want to start saving for a new roof.

Concrete Tile roofs are not as long lasting as most assume them to be.

Especially in Thailand where tile roofs are constructed without water proof membranes or underlayment.

There are better options for a roof material from the point of thermal insulation and longevity perspective.

Edited by unheard
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, unheard said:

Patching up old tile roofs is a loosing proposition.

Might want to start saving for a new roof.

Concrete Tile roofs are not as long lasting as most assume them to be.

Especially in Thailand where tile roofs are constructed without water proof membranes or underlayment.

There are better options for a roof material from the point of thermal insulation and longevity perspective.

I agree with what you are saying, and have already made some investigations. However, my roof is in excess of 360 square metres,

I am aware though that the roof protects the rest of the building, and as such is essential that it be maintained. Long ago when they fitted the roof I was away working, so when I came back it was a kind of fait accompli, with no membranes. As happens here, over the years the metal expands and contracts. This in turn moves the tiles, that then leak. I looked at spray foam, both as an insulation and waterproofing, but the cost is exorbitant. The tiles are, in themselves, very sound. So that is why I am tending to go the same way as the Op, to paint with a membrane.

• Like 1

...over the years the metal expands and contracts. This in turn moves the tiles, that then leak.

The tiles themselves also experience daily expansion/contraction cycles leading to invisible hairline cracks at the weakest spots.

With time they will only get worse and eventually end up creating complete breakage and leakage.

I've also been dealing with an older concrete tile roof before moving to Thailand.

Wouldn't even consider tiles for either a new build or a replacement over here, considering the roof building standards, where any single broken or moved out of position tile virtually guarantees a leak.

instead of spending on tile painting, or any other mostly cosmetic treatments....

Would rather put that money towards a complete replacement and get it done ASAP, before the roof starts leaking.

Edited by unheard
  • Like 1

However, my roof is in excess of 360 square metres,

Either way, it's not going to be cheap.

It's a personal decision - either paying sooner and getting a new roof at today's prices that will stay leak free for the next 20 years or longer, or start spending incrementally in cosmetic improvements plus inevitable repairs that will surely follow, risking additional damage to the ceilings and then, in the end, still paying for a new roof at the future prices.

Edited by unheard
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, unheard said:

Either way, it's not going to be cheap.

It's a personal decision - either paying sooner and getting a new roof at today's prices that will stay leak free for the next 20 years or longer, or start spending incrementally in cosmetic improvements plus inevitable repairs that will surely follow, risking additional damage to the ceilings and then, in the end, still paying for a new roof at the future prices.

Just for info.: when we painted ours, the total cost was around 50k which included 45 gallons of roof paint. We recently tried to shift a couple of tiles because we needed external access but the paint had glued them in place, it was impossible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1