Dead body found by renovators in water tank in downtown Bangkok - police think it's been there a month

webfact

dFQROr7oWzulq5Fa5xZ0LF12q25Agw6ARgQ2bc2i0BXnYjdCK7exV1B8KkMvZ78m1mR.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported that the Hua Mark police in downtown Bangkok went with Police Hospital medics and Ruam Katanyu Foundation rescue to four story business premises at 22/1 in Soi Ramkhamhaeng 1, Suan Luang.

Renovators working on a roof had found human remains at the bottom of a 1,250 liter water tank in an extra room with a roof on the top of the fourth floor.

The sex of the person could not be determined as it was badly decomposed.

The body was lying face down dressed in t-shirt and shorts. The remains were taken for a full autopsy at the Police Hospital.

Pradit Khongthiop, 37, said he'd been hired by a contractor to do the roof and first entered the property on Saturday.

When he returned on Monday he noticed a smell and went with colleagues to make the discovery.

At first he thought it was an animal but when they got a spotlight it was clear it was a human.

He said the corpse had long hair. 

He said he had never found anything like this and would be quitting this line of work.

Jarunet, 65, a lady who owns the whole block said she bought the property three years ago.

It was rented out by the previous owner but had lain empty for years.

Dtbezn3nNUxytg04aoUcQVODnjt27fNBXwx0bAM0Q2hWOd.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Six months ago she said she had employed a contractor to do the roof but they had not finished the job until returning now. 

Police think the remains are a little over a month old. 

Hua Mark chief Pol Col Setthaphan Srisakhon said that six months seemed too long but that all lines of inquiry would be followed up.

He suggested the possibility that the death may be connected to squatters using the property to sleep in. 

Reporters at the scene described the grisly state of the body and were unable to offer any more information at this stage except that the police would be checking missing persons' reports. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-12-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

oh dear   '    foul smell  =   foul play I suspect.

Not really. Just last week near us people smelt something and discovered a pickup had come off the road and into a canal next to it, hidden from view until you went looking for the source of the smell. Driver might or might not have been injured before dying.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 12/20/2022 at 11:24 PM, Stargeezr said:

I had some pretty bad jobs, but this one sounds way worse. I do not blame the one guy who is

quitting this line of work.

one bad day at work does not constitute a bad job. 

21 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

But the  body you refer to was in the water tank of a functioning hotel.

its actually more common than you would think. 

The thaiger reports 2 similar stories in the last 2 years. internationally there are dozens of similar reports

The water tank of an abandoned building would be one of my go tos if i had a body to hide, but i also have a large empty lot behind my house only access, so thankfully i wouldn't need to expend the effort