Biden slams rising antisemitism.

Social Media

US President Joe Biden has condemned antisemitism at a White House party to commemorate the second day of Hanukkah, the Jewish festival of lights.

The joyful holiday, which is marked by lighting candles and eating oily foods, comes amid reports of a national and global uptick in antisemitic rhetoric.

Mr Biden, the second Catholic US president, said: "I will not be silent and America will not be silent."

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So he decides to make it about antisemitism. He must be a real ball of fun at parties.

Surely he could have made that speech any time?

Trumps kids all married Jews so he can't be an anti-Semite.

As far as I can see all the Presidential candidates are OK with Jews, so Bidens speech is irrelevant.

Not sure where Biden is going on this one (assuming he knows where he is when he started).

As for Hannukkah, it's about lighting your house with candles and giving gifts to each other. Not sure where the 'eating oily food' came from, that's news to me.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

As far as I can see all the Presidential candidates are OK with Jews, so Bidens speech is irrelevant.

Not sure where Biden is going on this one (assuming he knows where he is when he started).

As for Hannukkah, it's about lighting your house with candles and giving gifts to each other. Not sure where the 'eating oily food' came from, that's news to me.

The thread isn't about Trump. Why are you bashing a president who speaks out against anti-semitism?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, stevenl said:

A presidential speech against antisemitism is irrelevant because other presidential candidates are ok with Jews? Did you ever consider he is addressing US society as a whole?

I considered he was using a "joyful" holiday to make a political speech to divert attention from something else- perhaps the end of his agenda in a few days when the GOP control the money.

Whatever the reason, he didn't have to do so then. It's not like racism is going to magically vanish because he made a speech about it.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I considered he was using a "joyful" holiday to make a political speech to divert attention from something else- perhaps the end of his agenda in a few days when the GOP control the money.

Whatever the reason, he didn't have to do so then. It's not like racism is going to magically vanish because he made a speech about it.

Is there not a time to speak out against racism? As previously explained to you it was on a Jewish religious day. It also came not long after anti-semitism in public life had risen to it's highest level in many years.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I can't imagine Jews objecting to Biden's support to fight anti Jewish racism during Channukah.

To note Channukah is one of the many minor Jewish holidays which has been artificially inflated in the US to make Jewish American children feel better during the Christmas season.

Along the lines of Channukah bushes.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

have you been living under a rock? There is the Oath Keepers and Proud Boys (Charlottesville), there are an ex president's many anti-semitic comments. There is Kanye West. There is no shortage of high profile anti-semitism lately.

Well if those people were anti-semitic already then theres no rise is there? Just because the media show stuff its does not mean the populous are becoming more anti-semetic. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

As for Hannukkah, it's about lighting your house with candles and giving gifts to each other. Not sure where the 'eating oily food' came from, that's news %to me.

I grew up in a small town in the USA where there were 80% Jewish families. I had many friends that were Jewish and I wished them all a happy Hanukkah as they wished me a Merry Christmas, yes we all need to get along in this world.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Can you name a speech that ever made a major problem magically vanish? Apart, rom resignation speeches.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Can you name a speech that ever made a major problem magically vanish? Apart, rom resignation speeches.

Yes and it is so much better to have the top leader take the moral stand rather than having a Dine Kampf meal and saying garbage like there are good people on both sides when one side promotes Nazism.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, placeholder said:

It's not a question of whether or not Trump is an anti-Semite. It's whether or not he exploits anti-Semitism to advance his own political interests.

Yes he knows his base is heavily infected with white supremacists. As long as they like him, he likes them and doesn't want to alienate them.

As far as what's in trump's soul if he has one, it is less important.

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Obviously the more Muslims you let in a country, the more people will be anti-Jewish.

Probably more true about UK/Europe than the USA.

That's not more true than Christians are anti Muslim. Your tribal racial hatred is on display.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Thanks 1