“There weren’t enough life vests on board” – latest in the search for missing crew

snoop1130

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

That's has to be the saddest joke i have heard in long, long time, not enough life jackets on boards, sailors who can't swim and same sailors who laughs and joke and take pictures while their ship is taking water and being bettered by extremely rough seas, someone in the Thai navy dropped the ball big time in preparing boats and sailors on active duties and the trusts mothers put in their hands sending their sons to serve in such deplorable conditions...

Nothing new, STUPID , Hope they are Ok but it don,t look good.

6 minutes ago, swerve said:

“but the Styrofoam boxes containing the life vests could be used as floatation devices”.

Is this optimism or CYA?

Could be both. But if boxes made only of Styrofoam were used to store the life vests, then that could be why there may not have been enough of them when needed. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Wifey said they were part-time navy..

mayby like CMF. Hope the life jackets some may have were not the capox type.

I remember when that drilling ship in the Gulf was lost in the typhoon, that some did escape but evidently those capox made life jackets fill with water after a certain time and you sink.

I don't know.

1 hour ago, rbkk said:

Why is the captain not under arrest? When there was a fire in a disco and the fire exits were locked the owner was locked up. Not having enough life jackets for the souls on board is captaincy 101; failed.  

I dont think you understand the difference between civilian and military law. 

7 hours ago, kidneyw said:

I don't fancy their chances in the water with recent temperatures even with a life jacket.

I hope I am wrong but.................

Unfortunately this is true. Without at least a wet suit hypothermia sets in. Even in relatively warm water within hours. This is from my NAUI dive training.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Six crew from sunken Thai Navy vessel found dead, one rescued safely

image.jpeg

Seven crew members of the ill-fated HTMS Sukhothai were found drifting in the Gulf of Thailand today, but only one of them had survived, according to the Chief-of-Staff of the Royal Thai Navy (RTN) Admiral Cholathit Navanukroh.

He said that autopsies will be conducted.

Meanwhile, Commander-in-Chief of the RTN, Admiral Choengchai Chomchoenpaet said that the Navy will conduct an investigation to determine the exact cause of the sinking of the vessel and into a report that there were insufficient life vests on board for all 106 crew members.

He insisted that the investigation will be straightforward and transparent.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/six-crew-from-sunken-thai-navy-vessel-found-dead-one-rescued-safely/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-12-21

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

8 hours ago, proton said:

Thought this sort of sandal was sorted out after the Titanic!

It never seems to end. Sometimes there's just not enough jackets accessible to those who need it. 

Ppl get so used to the day to day life on a ship over years, that it never crosses their mind that the ship could sink. And even during incidents, they don't believe the ship is really at risk. They teach you that the ship is your safest bet. Stay with the ship. On the surface it sounds really stupid when these things happen but its a little more complicated than that. 

• Like 1