“There weren’t enough life vests on board” – latest in the search for missing crew

snoop1130

2 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:

It never seems to end. Sometimes there's just not enough jackets accessible to those who need it. 

Ppl get so used to the day to day life on a ship over years, that it never crosses their mind that the ship could sink. And even during incidents, they don't believe the ship is really at risk. They teach you that the ship is your safest bet. Stay with the ship. On the surface it sounds really stupid when these things happen but its a little more complicated than that. 

I can't believe someone actually penned that rot. And who might they be? 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

It amazes me how many militaries are so poorly trained and equipped.

The Thai military train their conscripts to clean house and do the gardening for their generals.  They are loathe to fight unless the odds are more than seven to one in their favour.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“but the Styrofoam boxes containing the life vests could be used as floatation devices”.

Good luck hanging on to that in high winds and seas even if you could grab it before was it is blown away.

Thaitanic.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Big Bert said:

So the question is why? Not enough life vest is disgraceful.

And an obvious point; simple but usefull life vests are easy are readibly available for purchase, and quick to buy, in bulk and not expensive.

Surely there's a naval officer on board who is responsible to ensure there's enough life vests and many other items regarding safety and more, on board at all times.

Surely there's a land based part of the navy responsible to regularly/continuously monitor/check/audit the same things.

The actual problem is a total lack of common sense.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Partenavia said:

Having spent a significant amount of time at sea in command of Tankers, and also having sailed around the world in a small boat. I am absolutely appalled at the standard of reporting and news releases from the Thai Navy.

Ships to not sink in the weather experienced by this vessel, unless there is something fundamentally wrong with the ship. It requires a catastrophic event  for a vessel to sink. 

It's time accurate reporting and serious questions put to the authorities, as to a proper account as to what happened. Too many have died for it to be brushed under the carpet.

I guess this being Thailand those cupalable will not be brought to justice.

Certainly agree about the accurate/inaccurate reporting.

There's been any number of reports in the media. In every report the number of missing is different, from none missing to 31 missing. 

I also criticize the actual media outlets for their very shoddy confused reporting. As always seems nothing is ever checked or verified. 

1 hour ago, Partenavia said:

Having spent a significant amount of time at sea in command of Tankers, and also having sailed around the world in a small boat. I am absolutely appalled at the standard of reporting and news releases from the Thai Navy.

Ships to not sink in the weather experienced by this vessel, unless there is something fundamentally wrong with the ship. It requires a catastrophic event  for a vessel to sink. 

It's time accurate reporting and serious questions put to the authorities, as to a proper account as to what happened. Too many have died for it to be brushed under the carpet.

I guess this being Thailand those cupalable will not be brought to justice.

Good post, thanks.

However,I would imagine that the embarrassment of disclosing any fault with regard the RTN would be too much for the Defence Ministry to handle.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The RTN has been the Kingdom's Military poor cousin since the Manhattan Rebellion.

The loss of life is horrible.

Hopefully the RTN head will take responsibility, share the results of a full investigation, and make changes going forward. /cough

there was some 6h to organise rescue operation, before she sunk.

The first pictures were recorded before sunset, with clear skies and calm water, no waves. So it was already after she lost control and started sinking.

They were only 20 miles from shore, there was not stormy weather to employ any boats available from the shore.

And there must be many fishing trawlers and commercial boats within shorter distance.

SOS was broadcast and oil tanker replied, so they had some remaining power and that tanker should alert the navy and all ships around.

there is no chance more would be found alive, that is already over 60h. Many of those unaccounted are without vests, around half of those missing

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1