Health minister confident COVID infections over New Year are controllable

snoop1130

14 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Was he wrong?  "Cancelling" Songkran would have been ineffective at best and would have just delayed the inevitable.  Whatever way you look at it, Thailand handled Covid better than many other countries, especially those in the west.

I assume you have forgotten the almighty vaccination blunders .

• Like 1

You can't control the flu it's similar to covid some get sick severely others don't,  easy stay home until you feel better, lm living Vietnam its same here there not interested in controlling virus that you can not ! They say stay home if feel.sick that's it , there medical report last month coming from there health officials 92% Vietnamese have had the virus only answer herd immunity  Vietnamese answer to it , life goes on as normal as does each flu season's .  Those who are vulnerable to flu virus etc,. Or with comobiditys  seek medical attention IF you become ill.. You can not cure common cold virus each year new virus strain & That's life with or without covid live with it.. Not going away its been released man made it is ! what it is !  ..

Edited by Mad mick

8 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

The second time was after a couple of vaccines and was far less severe, just a mild flu.

That does not prove or even suggest that the vaccine helped. The fact that you had the virus would give you better protection than any vaccine ever could and really begs the question why you'd even consider getting vaccinated in the first place. Also, the virus evolved into a milder one which could also help to explain your experiences. I'm unvaccinated and for me, Covid was also just like a mild flu. 

16 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Thailand handled Covid better than many other countries,

With the greatest respect, I have my doubts. Reference: the Nation:-

Thailand had administered 138.2 million doses. Of these, 56.79 million were first jabs covering 81.7 per cent of the population, 52.8 million were second doses covering 75.9 per cent of people and 28.6 million were third jabs covering 41 per cent.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40016416

No information for 4th and 5th jabs.

Whilst across the border in Cambodia:-

Also, about 63.6% of the people had received a third dose, 27% a fourth jab, and 5.4% a fifth shot, the ministry added.

https://en.vietnamplus.vn/cambodias-covid19-vaccination-coverage-close-to-95/239418.vnp

I have searched the internet for 4th and 5th doses administered in Thailand but no information. If someone can provide the figures to me, they will be appreciated. 

I have received my 5th jab of Pfizer.

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

And the fact you have not sought out such reviews or bothered to read them means you are trying to share your ignorance?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/vaccine-benefits.html

I'm sorry, where's the peer reviewed study again? You just provided a link to the CDC website. The OP asked for peer reviewed studies, not propaganda from a discredited government agency who initially said that the vaccines were 97% effective. If anyone is sharing their ignorance, it's YOU. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, edogthong said:

I'm sorry, where's the peer reviewed study again? You just provided a link to the CDC website. The OP asked for peer reviewed studies, not propaganda from a discredited government agency who initially said that the vaccines were 97% effective. If anyone is sharing their ignorance, it's YOU. 

The people working at WHO are qualified docs so I see them as peers. I produced far superior sources than that poster did, he supplied zero. Like you, 

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/peer-reviewed-report-moderna-covid-19-vaccine-publishes

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Covid is nearly gone. Worldwide cases continue to drop. Fatalities worldwide are down to 500-700 a day. The vast majority who are dying now are over 80, with underlying issues. 

Get over it. Let's get on with our lives. It is now endemic.

That is the funniest thing I will read today. Have you been living under a rock? 

China is about to experience the motherload of all covid surges. 10% of the planet will catch covid in next month or two. It is not finished, it is still very dangerous and millions more could die

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2022/12/15/1143002538/china-appears-to-be-facing-what-could-be-the-world-s-largest-coronavirus-outbrea

Edited by ourmanflint
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, ourmanflint said:

That is the funniest thing I will read today. Have you been living under a rock? 

China is about to experience the motherload of all covid surges. 10% of the planet will catch covid in next month or two. It is not finished, it is still very dangerous and millions more could die

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2022/12/15/1143002538/china-appears-to-be-facing-what-could-be-the-world-s-largest-coronavirus-outbrea

He's absolutely correct, apart from China. That 10 % of the planet will all be in China. Covid is well established everywhere else in the world. 

What happens there will happen M but unless a new variant appears, everything he said is accurate for the rest of the world. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

He's absolutely correct, apart from China. That 10 % of the planet will all be in China. Covid is well established everywhere else in the world. 

What happens there will happen M but unless a new variant appears, everything he said is accurate for the rest of the world. 

Oh that's ok then, because we know it can't spread across borders. 

Do you have any idea what is going to happen if China implodes? 

The garbage that gets written in this forum is hilarious, hasn't anyone learned a single thing about covid?

1 hour ago, ourmanflint said:

Oh that's ok then, because we know it can't spread across borders. 

Do you have any idea what is going to happen if China implodes? 

The garbage that gets written in this forum is hilarious, hasn't anyone learned a single thing about covid?

It's already spread across the borders into every country in the world. It's established.

Only China was trying to do the impossible by imprisoning their people at home to stop the spread, which was never going to work, and they've now dropped that. 

So I'm not sure what point you're making?

Edited by anrcaccount
Typo
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pride, as the saying has it, comes before a fall.

The Chinese are going to pay a heavy price for their 'Zero Covid' folly in economic and social terms.

The West, with its remarkable combination of hubris, incompetence and gibbering panic over this virus has already paid that price, but at least China has leapt onto the ruinous bandwagon rather than taking advantage of the West's cowardly stupidity.

11 hours ago, jacko45k said:

And the fact you have not sought out such reviews or bothered to read them means you are trying to share your ignorance?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/vaccine-benefits.html

You smugly linked me to the CDC site, without offering any peer reviewed study that demonstrates the injections reduce symptoms. I suppose it's quite befitting that you employed the word "ignorance," as it takes one to know one. 

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Now, that is not only alarmist and engaging in total science denial, but it is absolute fear mongering. 

In the US, cases are way down. 33,000 yesterday, with under 300 fatalities, according to USA Facts. Same in Thailand.

Worldwide? 330,000 cases with only 474 fatalities according to worldometer. It is receding. China may be the exception. Their zero covid policy was the height of ignorance. The good news is the percent who die is infinitely lower with each subsequent variant.

This is not the Zombie Apocalypse. Stop the fear, paranoia, and nonsense, please. 

It is not alarmism, it’s pretty basic stuff, the most populous country on Earth is going to suffer and if China suffers, the world suffers. 
Drug shortages in China will very soon impact Thailand and other neighbouring countries. 
The chance for this variant BF.7 to escape into Thailand is great. BF.7 has an r number of over 18 compared to any other omicron variant with maximum r number of 5. 

governments need to think the worst in case it actually happens

1 hour ago, ourmanflint said:

The chance for this variant BF.7 to escape into Thailand is great. BF.7 has an r number of over 18 compared to any other omicron variant with maximum r number of 5. 

Everybody I know currently getting Omicron is suffering very similar symptoms to a cold, or no symptoms at all. Assuming this BF.7 follows the same pattern as previous new variants (i.e. spreading faster but less virulent), why would governments need to "think the worst"? 

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Very unlikely. Most epidemiologists agree that the nature of a pandemic is for the virus to mutate into weaker and weaker variants, just like Omicron. It will get weaker, until it is a non factor. It is nearly a non factor already. 

Thats false unfortunately. 

"Fact check: Yes, viruses can mutate to become more deadly"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2021/07/14/fact-check-viruses-can-mutate-become-more-deadly/7839167002/

"Debunking the idea viruses always evolve to become less virulent"

"The concept can be traced back to a theory from the late 1800s."

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/debunking-idea-viruses-evolve-virulent/story?id=82052581

9 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

It is not alarmism, it’s pretty basic stuff, the most populous country on Earth is going to suffer and if China suffers, the world suffers. 
Drug shortages in China will very soon impact Thailand and other neighbouring countries. 

Pure speculation, of the alarmist and dramatic variety. We just don't know. And this variant is mild. I think the chances of it fading are at least as great as your dire predictions. 

10 hours ago, aBigSmile said:

You smugly linked me to the CDC site, without offering any peer reviewed study that demonstrates the injections reduce symptoms. I suppose it's quite befitting that you employed the word "ignorance," as it takes one to know one. 

Ah, ad hominem attacks from someone unable to find readily available sources on the WWW and expects others to do it for them.

8 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Thats false unfortunately. 

"Fact check: Yes, viruses can mutate to become more deadly"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2021/07/14/fact-check-viruses-can-mutate-become-more-deadly/7839167002/

"Debunking the idea viruses always evolve to become less virulent"

"The concept can be traced back to a theory from the late 1800s."

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/debunking-idea-viruses-evolve-virulent/story?id=82052581

Well, that article from 18 months ago, has certainly proved to be highly  inaccurate when it comes to covid. Omicron was the best thing to happen to us. It is wimp covid. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Thank you. Exactly my experience and that of the vast majority I know who got covid omi. It is getting weaker and wimpier.

Just talking of this the other day... two friends who have recently had Covid, one mild symptoms, the other said a very bad flu with dizziness and laid up in bed for 4 full days... usually a robust type. The latter would be a reason for concern to elderly or those with other ailments...although very much like other flu infections.

• Thumbs Up 1