Cannabis Bill in limbo after House meeting lacks a quorum

webfact

image.png

The passage of Thailand’s controversial Cannabis Bill is expected to be further delayed after the House meeting collapsed this late afternoon due to the lack of a quorum.

After the House approved the deletion of the contentious Section 3 from the bill, MPs from both government and opposition parties started to leave the chamber, as the House continued to deliberate the remaining sections of the bill.

Section 3 stipulated that cannabis is not a narcotic drug.

After extensive debate on Section 7/4 of the bill, Deputy House Speaker Supachai Phosu, who chaired the meeting, realised that there were fewer MPs in the chamber. He then pressed the buzzer to tell MPs to enter the chamber and to identify themselves, by inserting their electronic ID cards before a vote was to be taken on Section 7/4, regarding the promotion of research on the medical use of cannabis by the Food and Drug Administration.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/cannabis-bill-in-limbo-after-house-meeting-lacks-a-quorum/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-12-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

After the House approved the deletion of the contentious Section 3 from the bill, MPs from both government and opposition parties started to leave the chamber, as the House continued to deliberate the remaining sections of the bill.

Section 3 stipulated that cannabis is not a narcotic drug.

To me, this means the entire bill would have passed, but once the opposition saw this section passed they had no choice other than to avoid further votes.

12 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

Approved , then not approved anymore , it now is a controlled herb and a narcotic drug at the same time ... What do you want ...?

Cannabis remains "legal", actually more accurately producing, buying/selling, possessing and smoking are "Not Illegal". There are some limits currently.

So it is approved, it is not a narcotic and flowers only are a "Controlled herb". "Control refers to age (20 YO), pregnant, no onsite smoking, public smoking which causes a nusiance, and a few others. Growers and sellers must be licensed.

It's under control. A new law is not really needed but Thais seem to desire as many laws as possible.

FWIW this bill actually contains nothing really new other than codifying the decreed controls, and establishing a Cannabis Control Board, and identifying various ministries roles.

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

Only 214 out of a total of 439 MPs were present....

So much for the term: "representative of the people." A lot of them belong straight in the garbage can.

Where was the government partners.  This smells more like mps getting together and agreeing to leave together.

With an election coming. No one wants to step on their testes 

4 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

To me, this means the entire bill would have passed, but once the opposition saw this section passed they had no choice other than to avoid further votes.

Sorry, my initial read on this was COMPLETELY wrong.

Section 3 states that Cannabis is NOT a narcotic, and codifies the current ministry edict (which removed Cannabis from the Class 5 narcotics list). By "deleting" it by a vote of 119:0 with 31 abstentions, it would revert to being a class 5 narcotic, were this bill to eventually pass, and be Gazetted. Of course without this section this bill almost seems unnecessary.

After that there was some quorum issue raised and debate ceased.

This is, I think, the second 'reading'.

So not sure exactly but I suspect the current situation remains as is, and that this bill may remain in committee until a new Parliament is seated sometime next year?

3 hours ago, Real Name Hidden said:

People who love sausage and respect the law should never watch either one being made,

Often attributed to, strangely, Otto von Bismarck.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Sack them.

2 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Sorry, my initial read on this was COMPLETELY wrong.

Section 3 states that Cannabis is NOT a narcotic, and codifies the current ministry edict (which removed Cannabis from the Class 5 narcotics list). By "deleting" it by a vote of 119:0 with 31 abstentions, it would revert to being a class 5 narcotic, were this bill to eventually pass, and be Gazetted. Of course without this section this bill almost seems unnecessary.

After that there was some quorum issue raised and debate ceased.

This is, I think, the second 'reading'.

So not sure exactly but I suspect the current situation remains as is, and that this bill may remain in committee until a new Parliament is seated sometime next year?

Often attributed to, strangely, Otto von Bismarck.

Thanks. I thought it was Count von Bratwurst,,,,,,,????