UK economy shrank more than previously thought

Scott

24 minutes ago, candide said:

I agree with the first sentence (ending with the explanation mark).

Trading openly with minimum tariffs with the rest of the world, and Globalization are 2 very different things as I'm sure you are aware.

8 minutes ago, RayC said:

I think that you are a Brit who lives and works in Thailand?

If so, you are the living embodiment of globalisation and imo it's unfair if the rest of the world are laughing at you for living this woke, white, middle class Liberal fantasy of yours.

Yes I work here for a multinational that has invested heavily in Thailand, benefitting thousands of local people.

We all know the difference between simple economic cooperation between nation states and the broader aims of globalization in terms of cultural diversification and the eradication of borders and nation states.

10 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I agree with the first sentence (ending with the explanation mark).

Trading openly with minimum tariffs with the rest of the world, and Globalization are 2 very different things as I'm sure you are aware.

So being global has nothing to do with globalisation? Kind of contortionist?

"the act or process of globalizing : the state of being globalized

especially : the development of an increasingly integrated global economy marked especially by free trade, free flow of capital, and the tapping of cheaper foreign labor markets"

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/globalization

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Yes I work here for a multinational that has invested heavily in Thailand, benefitting thousands of local people.

A purely altruistic venture on the part of you and your organisation?

Highly commendable.

21 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

We all know the difference between simple economic cooperation between nation states and the broader aims of globalization in terms of cultural diversification and the eradication of borders and nation states.

Actually we don't as there doesn't appear to be an agreed definition of "globalization" or it's attributes/ aims. Your interpretation doesn't match mine.

No lobbying done by your company then?

• Like 2

So, I'm an American so not commenting on the UK's mental breakdown.

Globalization, wonderful concept.

We were all going to benefit from trade between friends, The former Soviet Union, China would be raised up and become just like us.

Well has that worked out?

Both have become more totalitarian and the West has found itself shackled to them for manufacturing and energy.

On the plus side, in the US there has been a full throated push to onshore manufacturing to uncouple China

On the downside, the insane Merkel policy of total dependance on Russian energy is going to take a little more time to unravel in Europe

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

So, I'm an American so not commenting on the UK's mental breakdown.

Globalization, wonderful concept.

We were all going to benefit from trade between friends, The former Soviet Union, China would be raised up and become just like us.

Well has that worked out?

Both have become more totalitarian and the West has found itself shackled to them for manufacturing and energy.

On the plus side, in the US there has been a full throated push to onshore manufacturing to uncouple China

On the downside, the insane Merkel policy of total dependance on Russian energy is going to take a little more time to unravel in Europe

Basically, the point you make is a good one. But it doesn't help your case when you make false statements like:

"On the downside, the insane Merkel policy of total dependance on Russian energy is going to take a little more time to unravel in Europe"

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Basically, the point you make is a good one. But it doesn't help your case when you make false statements like:

"On the downside, the insane Merkel policy of total dependance on Russian energy is going to take a little more time to unravel in Europe"

Well I think we may need to agree to disagree on the latter.

Merkel herself has said that she thought tightening the economic ties to Europe would bind Russia to Europe.

Problem is it did exactly to opposite. It made Europe a cuckold to Russia, as the regime became increasingly more authoritarian  

• Like 1

Just now, GinBoy2 said:

Well I think we may need to agree to disagree on the latter.

Merkel herself has said that she thought tightening the economic ties to Europe would bind Russia to Europe.

Problem is it did exactly to opposite. It made Europe a cuckold to Russia, as the regime became increasingly more authoritarian  

It's just that you wrote "total dependence on Russia". Which is not the case. Germany didn't even get the majority of its energy from Russia. Just a foolish amount of it.

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

It's just that you wrote "total dependence on Russia". Which is not the case. Germany didn't even get the majority of its energy from Russia. Just a foolish amount of it.

I can live with that statement.

And as for my own statement, I'm not sure in Russia we have entered Authoritarianism or Totalitarianism.

Neither of which are good