registering a car i own but ex girl refuses to sign papers and hand over blue book

pleple62

45 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

When you are about to buy a vehicle, ask the dealer what's required to have it registered in your name, before buying it. In the sales contract, include that the dealer needs to have your name registered in the blue book and it must registerable in your province of residence. No final payment until you see your name in the blue book, unless you are buying a new vehicle or from a reputable established dealer.

Even with a tourist visa, or visa exemption, you can get a residence certificate(RC), ususally same day. Just tell immigration why you want the certificate, pay a fee, provide proof where you live. I have obtained multiple RC in this situation.

Even my Toyota dealer asked if I wanted the vehicle registered in my girlfriend's name. NO way!

great suggestions in most countries you pay for the car you own it regardless of registration status,

i do not know thai ins and outs and no one told me about residency certificate

why would they in NE bangkok nobody speaks english there i look outta place,

my girl genuinely was trying to help,

as for some of you stupid comments on thai women i apeaze your comments,

i am an investor and humanitarian volunteer when over , i love thailand, my partner was 48 im mid 50s, i seek and find peophiles with organisation OURS in cambodia and feed rice to poor thai families in the remote villages, 

sounds like a bunch of pattaya embarrassments having a go, does not take 40 comments the same to sink in 

to the others the genuine comments i take on board, and respect

Just now, pleple62 said:

great suggestions in most countries you pay for the car you own it regardless of registration status,

i am an investor and humanitarian volunteer when over , i love thailand, my partner was 48 im mid 50s, i seek and find peophiles with organisation OURS in cambodia and feed rice to poor thai families in the remote villages, 

sounds like a bunch of pattaya embarrassments having a go, does not take 40 comments the same to sink in 

together 8 years,

2 hours ago, connda said:

Well you just learned an important lesson in life.

Our car is in my wife's name, but we've been married 15 years and even with the occasional pissing matches, we're together for life.  If she dies?  The car is mine as it's in her Will. 

But registering in the name of a 'girl friend?'   There's you're major mistake.  Kiss that car goodbye. 

Let it go and rack it up and a "Lesson In Life."  Then buy another car.  Hope the first one didn't cost much.  People love driving status symbols. 
I bought my Suzuki brand new for 350K.  I simply want a car to get me from Point A to Point B.  And at 55 miles/gallon?  Works for me.  But how many people do that.  So many people want the bells and whistles, fancy-pantsy, Hi-So, BS.  What's the difference between that and my 350K new Suzuki?  Nothing.  It gets you from Point A to Point B.  The rest is just hubris.
What did you spend on the 2nd hand?  600K?  1M?  Hopefully for your sake it was a cheap junker. Really - that's all you need or a nice cheap new car. 

That'll be a Celerio; probably the manual.

A good choice IMO.  I think they are on offer now at 328K.

20 hours ago, pleple62 said:

all good its parked up in a big condo complex

I once saw a repo tow truck doing a collection in the parking garage at Suvarnabhumi. Two trolley jacks to get it out of the parking bay and "Gone in 20 minutes."

20 hours ago, pleple62 said:

but that's a contradiction "grab the owner" ,,, hmmm from all these posts she apparently is the owner 

OK, so how about grab the "owner"?

18 hours ago, peter zwart said:

I have little else to add. It's a tricky case. Unfortunately, we have to conclude that a lot of Thais are completely unreliable and would even sell their mother. As much as I would like to see it differently, experience shows that it is unfortunately the case. But ...... there are exceptions so there is hope.

What's tricky here? The OP is in possession of his ex- girlfriends car.

"Sell their mother"? Try and keep your misguided conclusions to yourself.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Barley said:

Slightly OT: What about if he had the blue book, even though it is her name on the blue book 

Hypothetically? He should get a lawyer to draft a Power of Attorney and get the ownership legally transferred* at the local Land Transport Office.

* HIS name in the blue book.

16 hours ago, Banana7 said:

When you are about to buy a vehicle, ask the dealer what's required to have it registered in your name, before buying it. In the sales contract, include that the dealer needs to have your name registered in the blue book and it must registerable in your province of residence. No final payment until you see your name in the blue book, unless you are buying a new vehicle or from a reputable established dealer.

Even with a tourist visa, or visa exemption, you can get a residence certificate(RC), ususally same day. Just tell immigration why you want the certificate, pay a fee, provide proof where you live. I have obtained multiple RC in this situation.

Even my Toyota dealer asked if I wanted the vehicle registered in my girlfriend's name. NO way!

For this to work properly, one must know what one's name looks like in Thai script.

Heard a story a few years back where unbeknownst to both the love lorn farang and his Isaan rice famer missus, the dealership's salesman's name was in the blue book. This was only discovered after they had fulfilled the financing and got the book back from the finance company. Apparently it was a 'favour' towards the couple where neither of them qualified for finance in the first place. Nod, nod... wink, wink.

15 hours ago, pleple62 said:

Regardless of your claims of being better than the "pattaya embarrassments", fundamentally you have made the same mistake(s), no?

7 hours ago, NanLaew said:

For this to work properly, one must know what one's name looks like in Thai script.

Heard a story a few years back where unbeknownst to both the love lorn farang and his Isaan rice famer missus, the dealership's salesman's name was in the blue book. This was only discovered after they had fulfilled the financing and got the book back from the finance company. Apparently it was a 'favour' towards the couple where neither of them qualified for finance in the first place. Nod, nod... wink, wink.

My name is in English in my blue book, not Thai language. The Toyota dealer arranged the blue book transfer. Your are getting scammed if someone tells you that your name has to be in Thai language in the blue book.

On 12/29/2022 at 3:17 PM, Banana7 said:

My name is in English in my blue book, not Thai language. The Toyota dealer arranged the blue book transfer. Your are getting scammed if someone tells you that your name has to be in Thai language in the blue book.

Nobody told me anything so why the 'scam' call?

Your sales agent 'arranged' it and got your name in English in the blue book. Well done. I am sure that if I thought it important to have that, my salesman could have done the same for me.

You were fed incorrect information by the seller.  You can register a car in your name on a tourist visa provided you get a residency certificate from immigration.  

And you need to request the mods to edit the title of your OP.  You do not own a car.  Your ex girl friend does.  You just paid for it.

What are you options: Perhaps you can ask her if you can borrow it on the weekends.

23 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

You were fed incorrect information by the seller.  You can register a car in your name on a tourist visa provided you get a residency certificate from immigration.  

And you need to request the mods to edit the title of your OP.  You do not own a car.  Your ex girl friend does.  You just paid for it.

What are you options: Perhaps you can ask her if you can borrow it on the weekends.

This sounds so much like the cry, "I want my CD's back!" when love dies.

I would walk away completely. Chances are if the OP has already paid for the car in full and it's in her name, she has already refinanced it.

Edited by NanLaew

On 1/1/2023 at 9:45 AM, NanLaew said:

Nobody told me anything so why the 'scam' call?

Your sales agent 'arranged' it and got your name in English in the blue book. Well done. I am sure that if I thought it important to have that, my salesman could have done the same for me.

It is a scam because it is fraudulent business deal/practise. Your name shouldn't be in Thai language on vehicle registrations. It should be exactly as written in your government issued identification - your passport.

My Thai driver's license has my English name, so do my insurance policies and so do my motor vehicle registrations - they all need to be consistent in case of legal matters like an accident - to avoid any confusion or misunderstanding in a court of law.  Also, when the residence certificate is issued, my name has always been in English, exactly as written in my passport.

When converting a non-Thai name into Thai language, it is done phonetically. If your name is pronounced slightly differently to 2 official translators, rarely will your name be spelled the same in Thai. The name can easily be pronounced differently by having an accent.

3 hours ago, Banana7 said:

It is a scam because it is fraudulent business deal/practise. Your name shouldn't be in Thai language on vehicle registrations. It should be exactly as written in your government issued identification - your passport.

In Thailand - my Gov't issued identification is my Pink ID card.

Which is in Thai language.

As are all my vehicles since I got the pink card. Registered in my name in Thai script.

Not worth bothering with just forget about it. A few girls i know when they get a car or bike they immediately put in in their mothers name, just in case the bf decides to make a claim on it, Saying that she couldnt have afforded it etc..... less chance of the falang pursuing it when its not in their gf name,

Either way you are not going to get any money or the car back, zero chance.

On 12/28/2022 at 4:49 AM, pleple62 said:

hi all i own the car and have sale receipt from dealer (second hand), 

have been fed the wrong information when i bought the car i ended up registering it in my girls name now we have parted ways she refuses to sign it over and give blue book, whats my options, any help appreciated

Consider it a gift.