Lula sworn in as Brazil president as Bolsonaro flies to US

Scott

image.png

Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva has been sworn in as the new president of Brazil - the third time he has held the country's highest office.

The veteran left-wing politician, known widely as Lula, also led the country between 2003 and 2010 - and defeated Jair Bolsonaro in October's poll.

In his first speech, Lula vowed to rebuild a country in "terrible ruins".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-64138739

BBC.jpg

image.png

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, Credo said:

I see that Balsonaro didn't stay for the inauguration.  He was headed to the US.  I wonder if he was going to Mar-a-lago?

Maybe they should send him back as he may be carrying Covid.... use that rule 42 or whatever that SCOTUS said could stay in effect a short time ago

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

I know how difficult it is for you to admit defeat.

Trump Allies Campaign Online for Bolsonaro and Spread Lies about Electoral Fraud

https://nacla.org/trump-allies-campaign-online-bolsonaro-and-spread-lies-about-electoral-fraud

Yes I know. Trump derangement syndrome has spilled over to other right-wing leader since Trump is gone.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, JackGats said:

Misleading title from the fakestream press.

The Brazilians elected a convinced thief by a narrow majority as president. Not much to expect.

Yes, also in Brazil they would have elected a syphlitic donkey instead of the sitting monstrosity.

Nice of you to point that out.????

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, JackGats said:

Misleading title from the fakestream press.

The Brazilians elected a convinced thief by a narrow majority as president. Not much to expect.

If you believe it so much, then show the evidence that you have that it was fraud.

• Like 2

I lived in Brazil for a while, still in touch friends and would-have-been in-laws.  I know middle-class people as well as those of modest means.  EVERYONE's financial situation picked up in the Lula years, even if the middle-class paid more in taxes.  Bolso caters to the rich, but hell, they are already rich.  Imagine the temerity to arrest a fine citizen like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eike_Batista

In January 2017, Brazilian authorities issued a detention order for Batista and eight other individuals as part of Operation Car Wash (Portuguese: Operação Lava Jato), a high-profile $100 million money laundering investigation. Batista returned from New York and was detained in the maximum security prison in Bangu.On April 28, 2017 Supreme Court judge Gilmar Mendes ordered Batista's release pending trial. Batista had been charged with making $16.5 million in bribes to the former governor of Rio de Janeiro state.

On July 3, 2018, Batista was convicted of bribing former Rio de Janeiro governor Sergio Cabral for the purpose of obtaining state government contracts, paying Cabral US$16.6 million, and was sentenced to 30 years' imprisonment. Batista's lawyer, Fernando Martins, expects to appeal the verdict

Notice this is the same Lava Jato they used to jail Lula.

I did not like Lula's successor, she was too much of an arrogant "because I say so leader" for my blood.  Compare it to Mandela's successors, but not as corrupt. 

15 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

[. . .] Just think, if Trump had kept his nose out of things Bolsonaro may have won....lol But his doomed endorsement seems to have paid of again.

Trump calls on Brazilians to vote for Jair Bolsonaro in presidential race

'I strongly endorse President Bolsonaro … So go out and vote for Bolsonaro,' former US president says in video

Even when I'm out in the sticks down there, when people find out I'm from the US they will suspect I'm with the CIA.  Really.  That's what they think of Americans down there, it lingers from decades of a US-supported military gov't.

If you're curious to learn more of this Batista rascal dig around the web for an interview he did with Charlie Rose, before things hit the fan (for both of them).  :hit-the-fan:

Edited by bendejo

On 1/2/2023 at 4:40 AM, Tug said:

Good luck president Silva and to beautiful Brazil I wish you and your country the very best and speedy healing from the disaster of the last administration 

There is indeed some similarity with the last US election. The difference being that Biden is clean.

• 3 months later...

Now we see the real Lula. Moving to displace the US dollar internationally, teaming up with China to create a new intrnational governing order, siding with China on Taiwan, and playing the pro Russian neutrality card in the Ukraine. A new Castro.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/International-relations/Xi-meets-Brazil-s-Lula-amid-calls-to-shake-up-Western-led-order

https://www.wsj.com/articles/chinas-xi-jinping-brazils-lula-take-united-stance-against-u-s-e8e55c1c

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/14/world/asia/brazil-china-russia-ukraine.html

Edited by John Drake

35 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Now we see the real Lula. Moving to displace the US dollar internationally, teaming up with China to create a new intrnational governing order, siding with China on Taiwan, and playing the pro Russian neutrality card in the Ukraine. A new Castro.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/International-relations/Xi-meets-Brazil-s-Lula-amid-calls-to-shake-up-Western-led-order

https://www.wsj.com/articles/chinas-xi-jinping-brazils-lula-take-united-stance-against-u-s-e8e55c1c

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/14/world/asia/brazil-china-russia-ukraine.html

Really? Did Lula take over the government by force? Has he banned elections? Confiscated private property?

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Really? Did Lula take over the government by force? Has he banned elections? Confiscated private property?

So you're cozy with an anti-American zealot who is allying himself with the Chinese dictator?

2 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Hasn't he aligned with China and Russia like Castro? 

Fidel Castro was a dedicated Marxist who turned Cuba into a command economy. Even if Lula's views on foreign policy align with Castro, you think that is the determinative factor that makes him a "new Castro". Ya think the Cuban people would agree with your assessment?. You know, the folks who actually had to live with him in power.

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Fidel Castro was a dedicated Marxist who turned Cuba into a command economy. Even if Lula's views on foreign policy align with Castro, you think that is the determinative factor that makes him a "new Castro". Ya think the Cuban people would agree with your assessment?. You know, the folks who actually had to live with him in power.

Yes, I do think that is the determinative factor, as you put it. Completely unrealized, especially on this forum, is the success that China is having in putting together an anti-American coalition around the world, particularly focusing on the Global South. Brazil is a key. That Brazil is now aligning economically and politically with the Communist giant should generate concern. Maybe more concern than what is happening in Ukraine, because at least in Ukraine there is active opposition to one of the BRICS' expansionist aims. Is BRICS becoming more than a convenient acronym to denote investment growth? Is it becoming a political entity to counter the US and Europe? Brazil becoming an enemy of the dollar, the established world order, and already seemingly greenlighting the Chinese invasion of Taiwan is a pretty big deal to me. Just the sort of position Castro would have taken had he been alive, except that Cuba was an insignificant country. Gush over Lula all you want. He's hostile to the US. At least Castro liked baseball.

1 minute ago, John Drake said:

Yes, I do think that is the determinative factor, as you put it. Completely unrealized, especially on this forum, is the success that China is having in putting together an anti-American coalition around the world, particularly focusing on the Global South. Brazil is a key. That Brazil is now aligning economically and politically with the Communist giant should generate concern. Maybe more concern than what is happening in Ukraine, because at least in Ukraine there is active opposition to one of the BRICS' expansionist aims. Is BRICS becoming more than a convenient acronym to denote investment growth? Is it becoming a political entity to counter the US and Europe? Brazil becoming an enemy of the dollar, the established world order, and already seemingly greenlighting the Chinese invasion of Taiwan is a pretty big deal to me. Just the sort of position Castro would have taken had he been alive, except that Cuba was an insignificant country. Gush over Lula all you want. He's hostile to the US. At least Castro liked baseball.

None of which justifies calling Lula a "new Castro". Castro was in ideological Marxist who denied Cubans freedom of expression and mostly the ability to own property and start businesses. You can certainly criticize Lula on the basis of what he's done without making ridiculous comments about who he is.

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

None of which justifies calling Lula a "new Castro". Castro was in ideological Marxist who denied Cubans freedom of expression and mostly the ability to own property and start businesses. You can certainly criticize Lula on the basis of what he's done without making ridiculous comments about who he is.

From the New Yorker.  

Lula remained a committed leftist, assailing the “neoliberal” reforms that swept the region, with American encouragement. While Cardoso became friendly with Bill Clinton and Tony Blair, Lula was more philosophically aligned with Fidel Castro and Hugo Chávez.     https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2023/01/30/after-bolsonaro-can-lula-remake-brazil

From the New Yorker.  

Lula remained a committed leftist, assailing the “neoliberal” reforms that swept the region, with American encouragement. While Cardoso became friendly with Bill Clinton and Tony Blair, Lula was more philosophically aligned with Fidel Castro and Hugo Chávez.     https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2023/01/30/after-bolsonaro-can-lula-remake-brazil

Lula was President of Brazil for 2 terms.  Did he take power by force? In that time, did he abolish free elections? Did he abolish private property? Were Brazilians less free during his term in office. He did institute some social programs that were very successful in helping poor Brazilians. Maybe in that he's a bit like the early Castro. But otherwise? This is just nonsense. As is your belief that I am gushing over Lula. Please share with me some of that gush.

He was President of 

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

He was President of 

You have misattributed your remarks above to me and left this sentence hanging. And, of course, you've not dealt at all with the points I was making about Brazil turning into a Chinese ally. Instead fixating on calling my comparison of Lula to Castro as "nonsense" and "ridiculous," even though The New Yorker made the same statement. So, do you or don't you think it is a problem that Lula is taking Brazil into an alliance with China and Russia? It's much deeper than most think. You only need to look at who is the new president of the BRICS' New Development Bank in Shanghai. It's Dilma Rousseff, Lula's protege and successor as Brazil's president.

You have misattributed your remarks above to me and left this sentence hanging. And, of course, you've not dealt at all with the points I was making about Brazil turning into a Chinese ally. Instead fixating on calling my comparison of Lula to Castro as "nonsense" and "ridiculous," even though The New Yorker made the same statement. So, do you or don't you think it is a problem that Lula is taking Brazil into an alliance with China and Russia? It's much deeper than most think. You only need to look at who is the new president of the BRICS' New Development Bank in Shanghai. It's Dilma Rousseff, Lula's protege and successor as Brazil's president.

I do think it's somewhat of a problem. But that doesn't justify over-the-top rhetoric. It is possible to make that case rationally.

And what exactly do you mean by alliance? It seems it's mostly about closer economic ties. China did finance some Brazilian megaprojects. And Brazil is rich in natural resources.  You have to remember that there is still a lot of bitterness in Brazil about the US support of the Brazilian military junta.

And I should point out that Lula's predecessor, the right wing Bolsonaro, was and continues to be a huge supporter of Russia and even more of a fanboy of Putin than is Trump.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I do think it's somewhat of a problem. But that doesn't justify over-the-top rhetoric. It is possible to make that case rationally.

And what exactly do you mean by alliance? It seems it's mostly about closer economic ties. China did finance some Brazilian megaprojects. And Brazil is rich in natural resources.  You have to remember that there is still a lot of bitterness in Brazil about the US support of the Brazilian military junta.

And I should point out that Lula's predecessor, the right wing Bolsonaro, was and continues to be a huge supporter of Russia and even more of a fanboy of Putin than is Trump.

The WSJ article in particular mentions replacing the US and Europe politically. And the economic schemes of China are almost always paired with political consequences (see high speed rail in Thailand, where China has wanted exclusive rights to development of property along the railway lines). But Brazil is perhaps the biggest prize of all, while Russia has been made into a subservient economic colony of China for all intents and purposes. Again, BRICS seems to be evolving into something much greater than a mere grouping of countries based on investment goals. If Brazil continues along the China path, just how long will it be before BRICS applicant Mexico follows? Ten years ago it would have been beyond belief that Mexico, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Egypt would defect to BRICS/China. Brazil is a tipping point.

The WSJ article in particular mentions replacing the US and Europe politically. And the economic schemes of China are almost always paired with political consequences (see high speed rail in Thailand, where China has wanted exclusive rights to development of property along the railway lines). But Brazil is perhaps the biggest prize of all, while Russia has been made into a subservient economic colony of China for all intents and purposes. Again, BRICS seems to be evolving into something much greater than a mere grouping of countries based on investment goals. If Brazil continues along the China path, just how long will it be before BRICS applicant Mexico follows? Ten years ago it would have been beyond belief that Mexico, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Egypt would defect to BRICS/China. Brazil is a tipping point.

Brazil a prize? Brics follow China to what? Defect how?