Rotator cuff physical therapist recommendation?

ricklev

An orthopedist in Chiang Mai treated my shoulder with a cortisone injection, after he suspected a rotator cuff sprain or tear, which really helped for almost a year. When the gyms opened back up I returned to fairly low level fixed weight lifting and gradually the pain returned also.  Another cortisone shot did not help much.  I guess it is time for an MRI as suggested by  the orthopedist and I will likely do that. 

I am now in Bangkok and  I wonder if anyone has had a good experience with a physical therapist and avoided surgery?  Hoping to get a recommendation for a specific person and maybe an orthopedist also.  Thanks.   

Edited by ricklev

I went to Bumrungrad and got good analysis and physio for a fraction the price another big name hospital in Bangkok asked for inc recommended surgery that was unnecessary according to Bumrungrad.

I had a recurrence a year later on other shoulder and didn't even go back as I remember all the moves from first physio and just repeated and cured myself. Been clear for 10 years now. You can also find lots of videos on Youtube!

• Thanks 1

you could try BPS on Suk 39, 02 160 0333. Not the cheapest physios but a couple of sessions there will still be cheaper than the 8000 for an MRI which they might make unnecessary.

I have found that persistent long-term rc cuff pain has been solved by simple regular specific exercises that I do (almost!) every day. Both sides have been painfree for ages now.

• Thanks 1

Go to pretty much any hospital's physical therapy clinic.  Go a couple of times.  Understand the basics and do them at home.  You don't need to keep throwing money at it.  You can find a lot of information to contribute to your Physical Therapist's recommendations.  Once you have the therapy movements, be religious about doing them regularly.

Combination of ice and heat.  And better get used to the idea that your weight training with that shoulder is going to have to be minimized if not stopped.

Mine healed in three year (yeah, that long, plus muscle atrophy,  but refused surgery).  Do cardio and resistance training that targets muscles not involving the rotator cuff.   If it hurt?  Stop!  Don't do it. 

If you have excessive amounts of disposable wealth?  Then you're in luck.  Look into stem cell treatments.  From my own research and from anecdotal testimony from people who had it done (Joe Rogan for instance) it works.   If you're average Joe Expat, well, it's just gonna take time.

And stay away for cortisone as it can do more damage than good.

Ironically I damaged my rotator cuff doing daily yoga.  See - I didn't follow my own advice that "If it hurts? Stop! Don't do it."  I pushed through the pain - that was stupid.  Live and learn.

Best of luck.

• Thanks 1

You can try Kanya Clinic  … the one in Ratchathewi…a guy I know as Pete … speaks english.  I can give you his phone number if you PM me…cost is 1000Baht for one hour.

I have to say it’s rest …I had a full tear so operation… done at Princess Chulabhorn by Dr Sittan Aimprasitticha 100% successful.

It cost me 150,000 … would have been 100K but I wanted it done ASAP as I knew the tendon would shrink.

Take my advice don’t let it develope into a full tear as I did.  A partial tear is so quick to repair and so is the rehab. And the full tear hurts when it occurs!!!!!!l

Yes, as said don’t get it injected as I believe that probably caused mine to fail …it softens the tendon.

Lazer is better than ultrasound if you can find somewhere who has it …I had 30 sessions at a gov HOSP

• Thanks 1

On 1/3/2023 at 11:20 AM, isaanistical said:

you could try BPS on Suk 39, 02 160 0333. Not the cheapest physios but a couple of sessions there will still be cheaper than the 8000 for an MRI which they might make unnecessary.

I have found that persistent long-term rc cuff pain has been solved by simple regular specific exercises that I do (almost!) every day. Both sides have been painfree for ages now.

I guess you mean BPC, recognize that number on my phone! I have used them for my back pain and have enjoyed great success with them as well. Best thing i liked was actually as everyone else has said above, you go to them, learn what you have to and go back and do it yourself if you are well commited.

If not and you're like me, you go back and let them fix you up (i have insurance covering therapy so I didn't care about going back often) 

On 1/5/2023 at 8:16 AM, ricklev said:

Thanks! I will check out BPC. Can either of you recommend a specific therapist by name? Or is it just one person?

I personally worked with Ploi and New and were happy with both. I started off with Ploi but she got busy on the dates i wanted to come, met New, and started rotating between the two. I actually had one other person on one go around when I booked in the day of, and honestly, was happy with her too, but for the life of me, i cannot remember her name. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

On 1/3/2023 at 11:20 AM, isaanistical said:

Have to keep on top of it. I do stretches daily and make sure to give attention to my rotator cuffs at the gym. Doing exercises using correct form (Athlean-X on youtube's good) and keeping the muscles all in balance around the shoulders is quite important.

• Thanks 1

Don't be afraid of the minimally invasive arthroscopic surgery if that is what is recommended by your orthopedist. I put it off, wanting to be mr natural, but when I finally accepted the need, the surgery was not a big deal and got me back to fully functional, better than all the PT. 

• Thanks 1