Am i eligible to do e visa ?

I’m a UK resident but I’m spending 2 month in turkey before onward to Bangkok. The e visa site says country of residence / current location. If I put turkey it says not eligible but for uk says eligible. Can I do the e visa if not flying from my country of residence ?

I'm from US, but I would assume it's the same web interface and process in both UK and US.   I don't remember any step in the process that requires you to prove your current location while applying.  Just make sure you indicate your residency and address in the UK to be eligible.  It's e-visa, so nothing is mailed to you, you get the sticker by email.  

Edited by wn78
  • Like 1

Similar questions have been asked before and comments have been made like lying on a visa application may get you banned, but the risk is really low IMO and I would be willing to take it if it required.

Use a VPN set to the UK for a little bit more confidence.

As @treetops indicated the question has come up.

Some folks have asked questions such as "I'm from UK and currently in Vietnam can I apply for a METV eVisa to Thailand "

Very sneaky imo..

I wouldn't do that however back to the OP, can imagine would be possible from Turkey to Thailand flight. 

Edited by DrJack54

On 1/7/2023 at 9:50 PM, wn78 said:

I don't see it as lying at all.  The guy is a UK resident with a UK address, and eligible for a visa.  The fact he may be on a holiday somewhere else while filling in the application should be inconsequential.  Also, what if someone has a multi-country trip planned with Thailand at the end?  Should be no reason to deny the visa.

At Suvarnabumi the IO will ask for your boarding pass, and I would show the last leg flight, and was never asked for the flight originating in the home country.

I agree, and the OP is probably OK as he can answer the first question as a permanent resident of the UK.  Others with UK passports may not be permanent residents (many here in Thailand)  and they would have to fib unless they were on a temporary stay there when applying.  These guys are in limbo for an evisa, but would probably be OK as said.

On 1/8/2023 at 4:50 AM, wn78 said:

The fact he may be on a holiday somewhere else while filling in the application should be inconsequential.

What he is holidaying in Vietnam and obtaining eVisa to enter Thailand from there.

What if he is currently in Thailand and wanting to have an eVisa for entry into Thailand and is planning a exit flight and return to thailand using his emailed eVisa. 

All good? 

BTW wouldn't work with land border exit and reentry. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

What he is holidaying in Vietnam and obtaining eVisa to enter Thailand from there.

What if he is currently in Thailand and wanting to have an eVisa for entry into Thailand and is planning a exit flight and return to thailand using his emailed eVisa. 

All good? 

Theoretically the IO could see the flight from Vietnam and question how long you were there and figure out you got the visa while being there....  what will happen? I don't know, never heard such reports.

I would draw the line at Thailand.  The IO will see immediately that you were in Thailand while obtaining another visa to Thailand, by comparing your visa issue date to the entry records on his screen.  I think that would be a clear violation.

• Like 1

The idea seems to be that you are located in your country of residence at the time you apply, which is why there's only a single field as per the OP.

People who have reported on here that they've actually asked a Thai embassy about this got the answer that you are supposed to remain in the country you apply for the duration of the visa application process. Otherwise that particular Thai embassy doesn't have jurisdiction to grant you a visa.

As with almost everything in Thailand, this isn't consistently checked or enforced.

• Thumbs Up 1

Now I suddenly recall that the application requires you to submit a copy of your passport pages... but I can't remember if only pages with your last entry to Thailand, or the pages with your most recent travel anywhere?.....  If the latter, the embassy people could be checking where you are right now, if they can make out those barely readable stamps.

Like I said, the IO also has a chance of figuring it out during the entry, but I doubt they care, unless you are incredibly unlucky and get a bad apple IO... but in that case there are 5 other things the could find wrong to deny you entry regardless of this issue.

• Like 1