Motorbike taxi insurance cover

toast1

If I take a motorbike taxi, am I covered by travel insurance if there is an accident?

I know I have to wear a helmet, to be covered by insurance, but what about accidents?

What if the driver has no insurance?

Thanks

• Haha 1

If you have travel insurance that doesn't exclude motorcycle risks and no other exclusion applies, you should be good. But you'll have to read and understand your policy in order to figure this one out. If the policy is tough reading, ask your insurance broker to help you. If you don't use a broker, you should consider doing so.

Don't worry, you don't need to wear a helmet in order to have an accident. Many people don't wear helmets and have accidents. We read about it quite frequently on Asean Now and on Go Fund Me websites. But seriously, what is your question?

The driver is likely to be a Thai, so he'll get treated a a government hospital at no expense to him. Don't worry about the mototaxi driver, but don't expect him to have adequate insurance to cover your medical bills. You're pretty much on your own here.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

If you have travel insurance that doesn't exclude motorcycle risks and no other exclusion applies, you should be good. But you'll have to read and understand your policy in order to figure this one out. If the policy is tough reading, ask your insurance broker to help you. If you don't use a broker, you should consider doing so.

Don't worry, you don't need to wear a helmet in order to have an accident. Many people don't wear helmets and have accidents. We read about it quite frequently on Asean Now and on Go Fund Me websites. But seriously, what is your question?

The driver is likely to be a Thai, so he'll get treated a a government hospital at no expense to him. Don't worry about the mototaxi driver, but don't expect him to have adequate insurance to cover your medical bills. You're pretty much on your own here.

I have top cover but it excludes motorbikes 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The same as any other country in the world, all Thai vehicles have a compulsory 3rd party person insurance, its called por lor bor insurance and its part of the annual tax/registration. Its not a huge coverage, but it is cover, 30k baht per accident. Enough to cover a trip to emergency room, a couple of night in hospital, set a broken bone etc.

People who post, with great authority, that there isnt any coverage, should stop posting misinformation.

Otherwise. a thai taxi is legal licensed transport, driven by a legal driver etc. so travel insurance should cover unless there is a specific clause stating only car taxis are covered.

• Like 1

you're covered by the Thai compulsory insurance as a passenger, initially up to 30,000 per case for injuries, more (up to 80,000) if found not at fault later

motorbike taxis must have yellow plate for commercial vehicle and the rider(driver) has appropriate license in order for it to be legal taxi, usually the rider will have his license on display on his vest

they can get additional insurance on top of the compulsory ones, but doubt many do

many taxis operating on non commercial plate or without license is not reason to invalidate the compulsory insurance claim, any passenger can still claim against the compulsory insurance, providing that the vehicle they're in has a valid insurance for the year.... now, would the idiot riding around in illegal taxi without proper license be up to date on the bike's yearly tax and insurance? 

On 1/8/2023 at 3:55 PM, Screaming said:

The best insurance you can have in Thailand is if you never get on a bike in this crazy country. Riding a motorbike in Thailand is a death wish.

However many many people manage to go through their whole lives without having an accident, let alone dying.

It comes with risks ( like everything ) but to call it a death wish is a bit 'dramatic'.