the kiosks so I was told to go to the office

where I was asked the same questions by

the IOs as you were (even when I left The

Kingdom), but was never asked if I had

booked an onward ticket out of Thailand

yet when I came back here.

Edited by Saigon
  • Thanks 1

Why would you need your physical credit card for? It's easily set up on your phone or you can remember the number, expiration date and 3/4 digit code on the back. Or just keep it somewhere.   I think they completely didn't believe your story. A trip to Vietnam, if lying, should have been 31+ days out.  Also since you spoke to quite a lot of people maybe someone remembered you wanting to come back right away.  It's an interesting story but perhaps someone found you annoying or red flags went up somewhere.  Even a full 24 hours + in poipet May have been a good choice as well.  Every single person said stay a day/ night but going back in the morning was a bad move. 

Edited by alex8912
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Saigon said:

That's a very interesting but amazing report

about the immigration at Poipet, which is

believed to be a land crossing to be best

avoided! It's proved to be as notorious as

other reports say!

I did a border bounce at Padang Besar last

month for my 2nd visa-exempt entry in the

calendar year. Only Thai and Malaysian

passport holders were allowed to queue for

the kiosks so I was told to go to the office

where I was asked the same questions by

the IOs as you were (even when I left The

Kingdom), but was never asked if I had

booked an onward ticket out of Thailand

yet when I came back here.

Good info Saigon - 

Its difficult to know if the questions that were ask of you at Padang was just immigration doing their job and this is standard process for all non Thai / Malaysians or this was a one off arbitrary decision made on that day. 

However on a more general point - It is difficult to remove conflict from a system when there is presumed entitlement by users, while many times it's just interpretation and subjective thought.

I was actually very surprised by the flight details that were required and again echoing the above - If you want compliant users then provide them a consistency to follow so they can give what you want.

16 minutes ago, spambot said:

Good info Saigon - 

Its difficult to know if the questions that were ask of you at Padang was just immigration doing their job and this is standard process for all non Thai / Malaysians or this was a one off arbitrary decision made on that day.

At first I had to join the queue for the kiosk and wasn't

even told to go to the office till I handed my passport

over to the IO at the kiosk, when I left Thailand.

There was actually a Thai woman queuing ahead of

me, and the IO asked her the same questions like

'Where are you going?' and 'How long there for?' so

that must of been their standard process, I'd say.

Edited by Saigon
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Saigon said:

At first I had to join the queue for the kiosk and wasn't

even told to go to the office till I handed my passport

over to the IO at the kiosk.

There was actually a Thai woman queuing ahead of

me, and the IO asked her the same questions like

'Where are you going?' and 'How long there for?' so

that must of been their standard process, I'd say.

Good feedback Saigon - Thanks for taking the time for the response

5 hours ago, spambot said:

I am guessing that after I extend the current Visa exempt and then I go for another 45 day exempt (at Lao Border) or possibly apply for Tourist Visa (in Hanoi) this incident will not jeopardise nor will the same issues be raised. 

Having had a similar visa history as you do, I thought so too, when, suddenly, I ran into problems in late 2019/early 2020, at both Bangkok airports, as well as at a land border. - Would be great to hear about your next experience at the border. (Great report, by the way!)

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

A good report but I cant help but wonder why you put yourself through all this nonsense. You could easily get a 30 day extension at immigration and after that if you needed more time fly out somewhere and back to get another 45 plus 30 days. You obviously enjoy hastle.

• Haha 1

I need to cross the border at Nonghai next month for a 45 day VEE . I then need to extend this by 30 days to match my flight date . Is this likely to be a problem when coming back into Th . - will they require a flight out within the 45 days ?

Great report BTW , did you take notes as you were going through the process , or just remember it all afterwards ?

• Like 1

Thais will let you back in on the same day. To my knowledge Cambodia has a rule that if you are a solo traveller (not in a tour group) you must stay at least a night in Cambodia. The Cambodian border guards usually charge 300 Bahts to 'exempt' you from this rule. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, persimmon said:

I need to cross the border at Nonghai next month for a 45 day VEE . I then need to extend this by 30 days to match my flight date . Is this likely to be a problem when coming back into Th . - will they require a flight out within the 45 days ?

Great report BTW , did you take notes as you were going through the process , or just remember it all afterwards ?

Thanks - persimmon I took a notepad with me. I have done trips before and could not remember the details after a few weeks - Hence this time wrote it down.

1 hour ago, Bigz said:

Thais will let you back in on the same day. To my knowledge Cambodia has a rule that if you are a solo traveller (not in a tour group) you must stay at least a night in Cambodia. The Cambodian border guards usually charge 300 Bahts to 'exempt' you from this rule. 

I actually expected the same once the overnight requirement had been identified. However one of the people in the crowd when I entered into Cambodia after leaving immigration was shouting he could fix it with Thai immigration to go back the same day, which did confused me. It could be I misunderstood or his English was not accurate or none of the above. However the sheer number of people trying to get attention for commerce was a bit overpowering and difficult to really have a sensible conversation with a crowd.

At the end of the day even if the overnight issue was fixed, unless all the other issues were fixed with Thai immigration I was still going  to have the same challenge with the immigration supervisor - I am speculating here, but she was more likely looking for a week or two in Cambodia - The one overnight didn't impress her at all. Also I think in retrospect staying one night in Poipet is probably a small price to pay if it could guarantee re-entry to Thailand with a Visa Exempt. Unfortunately these probably might be two separate issues.

24 minutes ago, spambot said:

I actually expected the same once the overnight requirement had been identified. However one of the people in the crowd when I entered into Cambodia after leaving immigration was shouting he could fix it with Thai immigration to go back the same day, which did confused me. It could be I misunderstood or his English was not accurate or none of the above. However the sheer number of people trying to get attention for commerce was a bit overpowering and difficult to really have a sensible conversation with a crowd.

At the end of the day even if the overnight issue was fixed, unless all the other issues were fixed with Thai immigration I was still going  to have the same challenge with the immigration supervisor - I am speculating here, but she was more likely looking for a week or two in Cambodia - The one overnight didn't impress her at all. Also I think in retrospect staying one night in Poipet is probably a small price to pay if it could guarantee re-entry to Thailand with a Visa Exempt. Unfortunately these probably might be two separate issues.

There is no rule that you can't re-enter Thailand on the same day. It is a Cambodian rule that you can't leave the country on the day of arrival unless you are in a tour group. They try to confuse you by blaming the Thais knowing that you can't ask them on the other side of the border. All they want is 300 bahts and they will let you back. It can be overwhelming with all those conmen around though... At other border crossings (Chong Chom for example) they are more upfront and the Cambodian guards will ask you straight away if you want to return to Thailand same day and will charge you accordingly.

• Thanks 1

Firstly, really good report Spambot & many thanks for that.  In the past I have successfully crossed Thailand-Cambodia-Thailand same day at Poipet.  No questions asked or other hassles from the Thai or Khmer IO's, as I recall the queues were the biggest problem.  I have certainly not heard of the B300 scam to let you go back same day, but I guess the Khmer IO's are losing tea money of B100 per tourist because of people buying online visas (they would always add B100 to the visa fee) and need want to make it up somehow. That said, my last same day out-in was a few years back, so I guess things have changed and I shall not try that again.

• Like 1

I made a border run to Cambodia several years ago and it was a breeze. I never even left Thailand. The IO said he'd take care of it for me for 300 baht. So he and I sat in his office and chatted over coffee for 1/2 an hour while my passport got all the in/out stamps.

OP - When the supervisor asked if you had a gf you should have answered "No, but I'm looking for a nice lady. Are you single?". ????

48 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

I made a border run to Cambodia several years ago and it was a breeze. I never even left Thailand. The IO said he'd take care of it for me for 300 baht. So he and I sat in his office and chatted over coffee for 1/2 an hour while my passport got all the in/out stamps.

OP - When the supervisor asked if you had a gf you should have answered "No, but I'm looking for a nice lady. Are you single?". ????

How relevant is this to anyone doing a border bounce to Cambodia in the near future?

Your charm and tale is nice story.

Again irrelevant 

Edited by DrJack54

On 1/10/2023 at 4:14 PM, persimmon said:

Historically, Immigration at the Friendship Bridge, entering Thailand at Nong Khai, has been no hassle. However, some are reporting that the Thai immigration officials at the border crossings with Laos have been asked to tighten up. I do not think there is enough real world experience yet to judge the situation when entering at Nong Khai.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

How relevant is this to anyone doing a border bounce to Cambodia in the near future?

Your charm and tale is nice story.

Again irrelevant 

Guess 1 needs a "Genuflecting" icon to post in your most gracious presents Sir Dr. Jack? :wai:

56 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Guess 1 needs a "Genuflecting" icon to post in your most gracious presents Sir Dr. Jack? :wai:

Not at all. Just post facts relevant to thread without fairytale. 

You state: 

"I made a border run to Cambodia several years ago and it was a breeze. I never even left Thailand. The IO said he'd take care of it for me for 300 baht" 

Yeah right!

Edited by DrJack54

On 1/10/2023 at 11:59 AM, Homburg said:

Firstly, really good report Spambot & many thanks for that.  In the past I have successfully crossed Thailand-Cambodia-Thailand same day at Poipet.  No questions asked or other hassles from the Thai or Khmer IO's, as I recall the queues were the biggest problem.  I have certainly not heard of the B300 scam to let you go back same day, but I guess the Khmer IO's are losing tea money of B100 per tourist because of people buying online visas (they would always add B100 to the visa fee) and need want to make it up somehow. That said, my last same day out-in was a few years back, so I guess things have changed and I shall not try that again.

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Not at all. Just post facts relevant to thread without fairytale. 

You mean like the post above mine?

2 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

You mean like the post above mine?

The post you quoted stated in part......

"That said, my last same day out-in was a few years back, so I guess things have changed and I shall not try that again." 

He exited Thailand. His post was about not having to stay one night in Cambodia. 

Enough. On ignore

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The post you quoted stated in part......

"That said, my last same day out-in was a few years back, so I guess things have changed and I shall not try that again." 

He exited Thailand. His post was about not having to stay one night in Cambodia. 

Enough. On ignore

Semantics Doc? Really? Where I stated ..."several years ago..." and he stated ..."a few years back..." differs greatly how? I'm now genuinely curious. ????

8 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Semantics Doc? Really? Where I stated ..."several years ago..." and he stated ..."a few years back..." differs greatly how? I'm now genuinely curious. ????

You stated that you never left Thailand......from your post...

." I never even left Thailand." 

Meaning immigration on Thai side of border sent your pp over to Cambodian side for entry stamp all while you had a coffee with Thai immigration. 

Ridiculous.

All this not to be confused with illegal practice of many many years ago where expats could send passports with an agent to border while they sat in Bangkok or wherever.

In any event I don't believe your account. 

Even in recent years you need to physically exit Thailand at border and reenter.

That involves obtaining entry doc (or eVisa) to bordering country. 

All of which has nothing to do with the fairytale that you outline. 

Edited by DrJack54

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You stated that you never left Thailand......from your post...

." I never even left Thailand." 

Meaning immigration on Thai side of border sent your pp over to Cambodian side for entry stamp all while you had a coffee with Thai immigration. 

Ridiculous.

All this not to be confused with illegal practice of many many years ago where expats could send passports with an agent to border while they sat in Bangkok or wherever.

In any event I don't believe your account. 

Even in recent years you need to physically exit Thailand at border and reenter.

That involves obtaining entry doc (or eVisa) to bordering country. 

All of which has nothing to do with the fairytale that you outline. 

What YOU believe or don't believe is the only irreverent factor here then. I was also stamped in and out w/o ever leaving Thailand in 2003 south of Hua Hin because the border was closed due to conflict.

Don't let your personal experience limit your acceptance of the truth.  It never happened to me so it can't be true is pretty narrow thinking. :wai:

• Haha 1