Is it wise or acceptable that PEA splits 2 ways?

Elkski

Each supply line from the 7m pole spits into 3  separate meter feeds.  At 6' I can stand at the base of the pole and easily touch the bottom 4 taped up split joints of some type.   What spice method  or crimp part did they use? 

20230110_142930.jpg

It splits before your meter, so no your problem, your dog can't pi.s that hight.

Well if it was after your meter I'd go to see the police.

But yes, Thai style craft, most definitely.

Edited by Boomer6969
  • Love It 1

4 minutes ago, Elkski said:

For starters I just don't know what the mechanical fastener looks like for that to be a safe connection.  Once I know that I can judge better how I feel about this version Thailand 4.0 

As said there's nothing you can do about it, it's not your property.

Can anyone tell me what connection part is being used under the tape.    I'm not expecting this existing situation to change.  I'm afraid that 19 yr old BBall playing vacationer's life was for naught.  Change can happen. If no concrete action plan ,country wide, isn't instituted after that sad death the rukers are very poor.   I admit in this case similar to my politicians. 

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

As said there's nothing you can do about it, it's not your property.

Looks like a pretty good crimp. Are they specific to each Guage wire?  And they did put good straps around the wires in many places.  Just a tad low.  The road maybe was raised 30-40 cm  since the electric drop. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Crossy said:

If it's done by PEA, they are nowhere near as amateurish as some would suggest!

They've probably used service-drop crimps like this: -

image.png.812529252a1aeff088612c7325848b2c.png

Which can be installed onto existing cables without cutting, just remove the insulation and crimp. These are what they use at the top of your drop to connect to the overhead supply.

The tape will be one of the high-voltage self-amalgamating rubber tapes such as 3M Scotch 23 splicing tape.

EDIT According to 3M data this is good to 69kV! 220V is a walk in the park.

image.png.46a55907b4fdfe0e1be4623b87d4e649.png

Which when applied correctly becomes a solid insulating mass after a few hours.

This type of joint is pretty safe and waterproof although I probably wouldn't go around deliberately grabbing one.

As others have noted, it's not yours and it's generally out of reach so nothing to do about it other than not try to touch it.

I will look for that tape on line because i have a more important use for it on my precious Mia noi motorbike. 

The usual lecky tape i buy gets to start unwrapping.

12 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Looks like a pretty good crimp. Are they specific to each Guage wire?  And they did put good straps around the wires in many places.  Just a tad low.  The road maybe was raised 30-40 cm  since the electric drop. 

Yeah, the crimps are specific to a range of wire sizes.

Those joints do look a bit, er, skimpy, on the tape; but I doubt there's any real hazard.

Compared to what you see fizzing away at wedding venues or markets it's hyper-safe!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Readily available on Lazada etc.

You have to follow the instructions by stretching the tape a lot more than you think in order for it to do the amalgamating thing.

But done right it doesn't fall off, ever!

Yeah i get it thanks, i stretch the other tape nice and neatly but it just slips back and starts to peel,  i try to catch it before hand by putting a small plastic tie around it but it will be nice not having to do that. 

9 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah i get it thanks, i stretch the other tape nice and neatly but it just slips back and starts to peel,  i try to catch it before hand by putting a small plastic tie around it but it will be nice not having to do that. 

The amalgamating tape you stretch a LOT more, almost to the point you think it will break.

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

The amalgamating tape you stretch a LOT more, almost to the point you think it will break.

It is wonderful stuff but a bit spendy, the stretch cuts the width by around 50%. I just fixed SWMBOs watering hose that I split by running it over in the morning when it was a bit hard. It did the job very well, so it works for plumbing as well as lecky.

• Like 1