Thai citizens to show id.

jvs

I just read in a paper that can not be quoted that from basically now

on all Thai citizens who buy Cannabis will have to show id card to

be placed in a data base.

No mention of foreigners so far .

Too many losses in alcohol sales?Big powerful companies made a phone call?

I know it is a controlled herb but when was the last or first time Thai people had

to show id when buying alcohol?

Is this the beginning of the end ?

3 minutes ago, Wuvu2 said:

Nonsense. Yes, people who are drawn to harder drugs often also use marijuana, but the  overwhelming majority of marijuana users don't go on to harder drugs. This is an urban myth debunked decades ago ????

Is it nonsense whether I've seen this or is it nonsense that they were?

11 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Is it nonsense whether I've seen this or is it nonsense that they were?

Yes, I saw a classmate who took three bong hits of ganja at a party and then later that night was seen doing lines of coke. Then after doing the coke he took a hit of mescaline acid. I heard he was found earlier the next morning passed out with a needle full of heroin stuck in his arm.

Marijuana, the gateway drug!!!!   555

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would not have expected to find anyone in this forum with an objective mind on the subject of addiction so I'm not about to play King Canute! Somebody asked me for my opinion, I gave it, if you don't like it, tough, that's your problem!

Everything I've ever read on the subject, which of late is not that much, tells me that the medical jury is out on this subject and that further research is needed. They do however say that some evidence exists to suggest marijuana use does lead to other addictive stimulants and that certainly supports the things I saw in the 1970's in the West Coast. 

Now, if anyone wants to post a link to a reliable and widely reputable and acknowledged source of medical information, such as Johns Hopkins standards or similar, I'll be happy to read it and potentially change my opinion. Ad-hoc links by hop heads to their favorite spiritual leaders, will be ignored and posters put on ignore.

27 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

I would not have expected to find anyone in this forum with an objective mind on the subject of addiction so I'm not about to play King Canute! Somebody asked me for my opinion, I gave it, if you don't like it, tough, that's your problem!

Everything I've ever read on the subject, which of late is not that much, tells me that the medical jury is out on this subject and that further research is needed. They do however say that some evidence exists to suggest marijuana use does lead to other addictive stimulants and that certainly supports the things I saw in the 1970's in the West Coast. 

Now, if anyone wants to post a link to a reliable and widely reputable and acknowledged source of medical information, such as Johns Hopkins standards or similar, I'll be happy to read it and potentially change my opinion. Ad-hoc links by hop heads to their favorite spiritual leaders, will be ignored and posters put on ignore.

I agree with you that some users go on to use heavier drugs but i believe those are the same people who would go from beer to hard liquor.

It is not the drug but the personality of the user.

You are not the only person here that reads and if some one elses

opinion causes you to block people well that just show a lot about you.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, jvs said:

I agree with you that some users go on to use heavier drugs but i believe those are the same people who would go from beer to hard liquor.

It is not the drug but the personality of the user.

You are not the only person here that reads and if some one elses

opinion causes you to block people well that just show a lot about you.

Try and read more carefully. Nobody's opinion causes me any problems, only some of the links that people post to try and support self serving points of view. If anyone wants to have the debate, at a serious level, with serious, professional, mainstream data to backup their argument, I welcome that. BUT, if you're going to debate and then post nonsense links, just to try and win a debate, it's meet Mr Ignore List time.

Edited by nigelforbes

1 hour ago, Salerno said:

Nah, they where almost 600 years behind the first banning and there where many before them.

Quite interesting history line: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_cannabis_law

Thanks for posting that,i had not seen that article before,good to see

more countries realize Cannabis use is not so bad after all.

When you compare it to more dangerous drugs it does not appear

to be really dangerous,of course there is always abuse but you can

not blame that on the Cannabis it self.

• Like 1

It's boring to see the off topic posts arguing points irrelevant to the topic.  The thread is about the requirement for Thai citizens to have their ID cards and details of their purchases put into a database to sent to Gods knows which government departments.  A fantastic database for Thaksin's next war against drugs when he gets back into power and recriminalizes cannabis. 

It's odd that no mention of foreigners was made but I find it unlikely that foreigners will be let off the hook.  Most likely they will also demand passport and visa details or just ban foreigners from buying completely.

• Like 1

Most of the dispensaries have continued to sell online which is already illegal, not to mention the unlicensed sellers of brickweed and the like on FB and LINE.  I guess this will encourage more people to buy on the black market.  Who wants to be in a police database as a drug user?  Very hard to crack down on the black market sales while possession of the substance remains legal. They will have to catch vendors in the act of selling. They could try to bust people for possession without a receipt from a licensed dispensary and a corresponding entry in the database but that would be very onerous and virtually defeat the purpose of decriminalizing.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Bingo!!!

So what's to be done, test everyone to see if they have an addictive personality and if so, put them into a database to ensure they aren't allowed to buy any? Oh wait, that means another database, so that's not good and anyway, testing everyone doesn't seem practical. I know, let's sacrifice those "few" people because they're only the minority, allegedly, the needs of the greater masses will have been met. Hmm, seems a little uncaring but the only alternative is to make it illegal, that way nobody can buy it and the lives of those "few" will have been spared. Nope, can't do that either, that's where we just came from....what to do! 

24 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

So what's to be done, test everyone to see if they have an addictive personality and if so, put them into a database to ensure they aren't allowed to buy any? Oh wait, that means another database, so that's not good and anyway, testing everyone doesn't seem practical. I know, let's sacrifice those "few" people because they're only the minority, allegedly, the needs of the greater masses will have been met. Hmm, seems a little uncaring but the only alternative is to make it illegal, that way nobody can buy it and the lives of those "few" will have been spared. Nope, can't do that either, that's where we just came from....what to do! 

Most people when they pass their driving tests drive sensibly and often can drive their whole life without an accident. However there are some people that drive like lunatics, drive dangerously and end up crashing and killing people.

Therefore we should ban cars.

52 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Most people when they pass their driving tests drive sensibly and often can drive their whole life without an accident. However there are some people that drive like lunatics, drive dangerously and end up crashing and killing people.

Therefore we should ban cars.

Not the best analogy in the world but we can give it a try.

Cars weren't designed or intended to kill people, that was never their primary purpose. Ganja on the other hand was intended to get people high and that remains the primary purpose.

If you wanted a different analogy you should have gone down the firearms route. Guns themselves don't kill, people do, that's why most countries don't freely put guns in the hands of the population, except you know where and look at the good that does. Sooo, should we ban guns, because killing is their primary purpose. Well, lots of people want to ban guns, in some countries they even put gun owners into a data base....OMG they do what, you mean like ganja users in Thailand, well I never!!! 

6 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Cars weren't designed or intended to kill people, that was never their primary purpose. Ganja on the other hand was intended to get people high and that remains the primary purpose.

Would point out ganja was designed (by god?) to be a medicinal herb.

Almost any medicine can be abused, but unlike Paracetamol and Aspirin, Ganga can't be used to kill people.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Would point out ganja was designed (by god?) to be a medicinal herb.

Almost any medicine can be abused.

Even if I were to smoke a whole passel full of doobies, I don't think I could convince myself that ganja was initially intended or used as a medicinal herb and I can't see much to support that was its primary use. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_cannabis

1 hour ago, nigelforbes said:

I did not start this topic to see if any scientific research has been done

on whatever.Just basically wanted to point out the absurdity of being put

in a data base just for buying a controlled herb.

Like i said when was the last time your name was placed in a data base when you bought alcohol?

All my life i have believed that any freedom we have comes with rules

and when you break these rules there are consequences,fair enough.

Buying Cannabis in Thailand is not illegal when you are of age and blah blah.

So why the need for a database?

Gun owner ship in a data base,ok,easy to see why.

A plant that has been around probably longer then people have should be free to use.

I did say use and not abuse.

Some people can handle all kind of drugs,others don't.

Those "few" do not have to be saved,with freedom comes responsibility.

You make some good points but placing links does not do much for me.

Personal fresh ideas is what i like to see in a discussion,make people think instead of hearing the same old things over and over.

4 minutes ago, jvs said:

I did not start this topic to see if any scientific research has been done

on whatever.Just basically wanted to point out the absurdity of being put

in a data base just for buying a controlled herb.

Like i said when was the last time your name was placed in a data base when you bought alcohol?

All my life i have believed that any freedom we have comes with rules

and when you break these rules there are consequences,fair enough.

Buying Cannabis in Thailand is not illegal when you are of age and blah blah.

So why the need for a database?

Gun owner ship in a data base,ok,easy to see why.

A plant that has been around probably longer then people have should be free to use.

I did say use and not abuse.

Some people can handle all kind of drugs,others don't.

Those "few" do not have to be saved,with freedom comes responsibility.

You make some good points but placing links does not do much for me.

Personal fresh ideas is what i like to see in a discussion,make people think instead of hearing the same old things over and over.

Guns are legal in the US yet people still go into a database, there's plenty of precedents.

As for fresh ideas.....give us list of the ones you've heard before and I'll make sure not to repeat them here, just for vous! TBH there are only so many arguments in favour or against anything, sounds like you probably heard them all.

Edited by nigelforbes