How to use Thai bank account from overseas? OTP necessary with thai number :S

4 hours ago, Robbkk said:

You don't need OTP to make transfers.

You only need it once when you install the app on your phone.

Just returned from a trip abroad where I used my Thai banking apps to pay rent, bills etc. No OTP, no roaming and no issues. I have no idea why so many people are posting about sms, roaming etc. You don't need it.

You do if you want to set up new recipients for transfers and some other features.

4 hours ago, wisemonkey said:

I use Dtac, so will contact them about roaming to ensure, its a prepaid sim that I have been using for years and just top up when necessary.

I use the DTAC Call app which uses wifi for connections. Worked great with Bangkok Bank last time I was in the US. Once you get the app configured with your phone number you can remove the SIM if you like.

"Can be used anywhere with same service rates as in Thailand
Note: dtac call service is available for dtac prepaid, postpaid, and Sim go inter customers only"

https://www.dtac.co.th/en/info/dtac-call.html

Be sure to leave yourself enough time to configure and test receiving OTPs via wifi before you travel.

My credit preloaded AIS mobile number receives SMS in Europe, including UK. Has done for years. No need to buy a roaming package unless I actually want one for mobile data. All I need to do for the SMS service is keep the number in minimum credit, turn on roaming, turn off data.

I have a cheap Nokia mobile (not internet phone) that I use in Thailand. When in Australia, I still do SCB transactions and the OTP sms messages continue to be sent to my phone. I use my laptop computer for internet banking.

I can't use my phone in Australia, not can I make/receive calls from Thailand. I also can't send an sms to Thailand. But the sms receiving function still works fine and the OTP messages always come instantly.

To be honest, I'm not sure why this should be the case (e.g. I still receive all sms from Thailand), but it's pretty convenient.

13 hours ago, Regyai said:

Been using SCB  overseas with Thai AIS SIM for over a decade.

Absolutely easy and free. Make sure you have roaming opened before you leave LOS. If you have the foresight to be running a dual SIM handset set the data to the home country SIM to avoid punitive costs. The OTP SMS's will come through without charge.

Keep your Thai SIMs validity topped up with the SCB 'Top-Up' option in the mobile app (check balance/validity with *121# send using Thai SIM - again free)

Likewise, SCB and AIS Thai phone with roaming activated. SMSs arrive free. Similar timescale to you.

As for keeping the phone topped up I believe that using the SCB top-up is minimum 50Baht so  I use https://www.ding.com/ which lets me add 10Baht to the phone balance, extending it by 30 days.

That costs me £0.29 via my UK PayPal account. Rinse and repeat as needed.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Shop mak said:

Roaming fee for 1 year will be very expensive

There is no charge for roaming with a Thai number nor for receiving OTP sms messages....At least not from AIS.

I have a dual sim phone so keep my Thai # active in my phone along with my UK sim when in the UK. Or the OP could keep the Thai sim in a different phone. Im told that Kasikorn bank's K+ app. also works while abroad so that could be used for top ups. You needs to check the credit expiry date each time you top up and make sure you top up again before then or you will lose the credit and your Thai sim and number will expire.

10 hours ago, Robbkk said:

You don't need OTP to make transfers.

You only need it once when you install the app on your phone.

Just returned from a trip abroad where I used my Thai banking apps to pay rent, bills etc. No OTP, no roaming and no issues. I have no idea why so many people are posting about sms, roaming etc. You don't need it.

Funny, but I did need OTP with SCB. ????

With AIS, in my experience receiving Thai bank SMS messages (including OTPs) while roaming abroad was hit and miss. Depending on the country I was in, as well as possibly the roaming partner.

My solution: I activated "Voice over WiFi" (VoWiFi), which covers SMS as well, despite the name. That has worked reliably ever since.

https://www.ais.th/4g/vowifi/en/

Nowadays I just need that as a fallback, however, as I'm mostly using the apps which don't require OTPs.