Retirement visa? medical insurance

Can anyone please confirm that a retirement visa requires medical insurance? I was told by a company that specializes in the Thai Elite visa that if you arrive on a tourist visa and then convert to a non o-a visa that medical insurance is not required?

However if you get your non o-a visa at a Thai embassy in your home country before arrival to Thailand medical is then required going forward?

5 hours ago, Upnotover said:

You convert to a non-O, not a non-OA.  That is why no insurance is required.

Thank you so to understand, This is for my mom from USA would arrive on a tourist visa then she would convert the visa to a non o visa and no medical would be needed only the financial requirements such as seasoned bank funds or proof of social security payments that meet the Thai immigration rules?  

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, raptorea said:

Thank you so to understand, This is for my mom from USA would arrive on a tourist visa then she would convert the visa to a non o visa and no medical would be needed only the financial requirements such as seasoned bank funds or proof of social security payments that meet the Thai immigration rules?  

Correct.  She would only need to meet the financial requirement on the day she converts to the initial 90 day non-O, i.e. THB 800K in a Thai account in her name, that does not need to be seasoned.  Seasoning is only required later when applying for the annual extension of stay. 

I don't know how/if it works if trying to go the monthly income route, hopefully others will update on that.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, raptorea said:

She will not be able to use the 65k income option until she can prove a year of transfers into a Thai Bank from the USA,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is it not true, that if you use an agent, you do not need to show any insurance? Which is the purpose of using agent. 

I will be using an agent this time around as its easier and I'm 73.  I will buy insurace both short/long term from Pacific Coast.  

53 minutes ago, Makoshark said:

Is it not true, that if you use an agent, you do not need to show any insurance? Which is the purpose of using agent. 

I will be using an agent this time around as its easier and I'm 73.  I will buy insurace both short/long term from Pacific Coast.  

The agent can only pay a bribe to the immigration officials to waive the financial requirements not the insurance requirements.

• Like 2