Can Anyone Help Please

steverino

Hi Folks

The other day while I was online the power went off and then on again a couple of times and of course my computer went off.

I tried to boot it up again, but it gets to the WELCOME page with Blue background and the users names on it and then crashes. I can't seem to get past this stage in the start up.

I can open it in safe mode which is what I'm using now, but I don't know what to do to get it back to what it should look like(normal mode). it's XP by the way.

Anyone got any suggestions please

Cheers

Steve

Hmm, in safe mode you should have an option to go back to an earlier time. The only thing i can suggest is to select a time from before the problem happened and reboot.

Hmm, in safe mode you should have an option to go back to an earlier time. The only thing i can suggest is to select a time from before the problem happened and reboot.

Yeah, I've tried that and it went back to an earlier setting, but still no joy.

Two of the biggest risks of running a PC without an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) is the possibility of voltage spikes and hard drive crashes. Either of these can doom an otherwise healthy PC.

My thinking (and I could be way off base here) is if your issue is due to the recent power outage, then maybe the hard drive was damaged at a particular area that contains data to make the OS load / run correctly.

Try running a check disk utility on the drive that contains the OS. XP has a check disk utility built into it, although it isn't the best one out there, it might be enough to get you past this issue.

I had similar problem system restore didn't fix it

so had to do reinstall,

a right pain as i didnt have a back up (lesson learnt the hard way)

Yeah, I have back up, but I don't have a Windows Disk...guess they're easy enough to get. Thanks for your input you guys.

Steve

HD has become corrupted?

Possibly a device driver got corrupted since you can start up in SAFE mode. Try uninstalling your video driver and starting in normal mode again.

According to my Device Manager, the Surecom PCI Adapter (Network adapter) is not working...Would this be the problem?

According to my Device Manager, the Surecom PCI Adapter (Network adapter) is not working...Would this be the problem?

Doubtful. But it could be an indication that other, not so obvious, critical items are not loading or working correctly.

HD has become corrupted?

Possibly a device driver got corrupted since you can start up in SAFE mode. Try uninstalling your video driver and starting in normal mode again.

your network driver is most likely showing a problem because you started in safe mode without network support.

like the previous poster suggested uninstall your video drivers and perhaps any other drivers you have the install disks for and try rebooting, you could get lucky, you may also try creating a new user which creaes a new profile and see if you can start with that - then you can migrate all your data to the new profile (user name) then perform a disk scan/repair. something on your HD got corrupted when the power dipped.

Hi Folks

The other day while I was online the power went off and then on again a couple of times and of course my computer went off.

I tried to boot it up again, but it gets to the WELCOME page with Blue background and the users names on it and then crashes. I can't seem to get past this stage in the start up.

I can open it in safe mode which is what I'm using now, but I don't know what to do to get it back to what it should look like(normal mode). it's XP by the way.

Anyone got any suggestions please

Cheers

Steve

You are lucky that your system has started in safe mode. Some time back system went off because of power surge and it never booted. Suffered a hard drive crashed. I have to employee data recovery software to get back my data.

I think you can use the Windowns XP Bootable CD and run the repair. I think it will get you out of this mess.

I think you can use the Windowns XP Bootable CD and run the repair. I think it will get you out of this mess.

Concur, load the XP disk and select repair option. There is a risk of losing your user data though but that is not a given.

Regards