Australian Woman Runs Over and Kills Street Painter in Pattaya

snoop1130

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The foreign driver was terrified and shocked after being notified that she had fatally run over the victim, Mr. Prasit Kabphet, who was painting the road at the entrance of Wongamat Residence Condominium in Soi 16 in the Naklua subdistrict, Banglamung district, Chonburi.

Driver not aware of her surroundings, a man in the road painting without any warning signs to indicate his presence... 

Hence the outcome.

I think she should have been able to see him even though he was crouched down pretty low.  But there should have been some cones out, or perhaps tree branches as they seem to like using here.

The worst part is that after she first hit him she just kept going on like nothing was happening.  If she had stopped on initial contact he would not have died.

Edited by rwill

Where in the gods names was she looking as she drove into a tight area with a boom-gate in front of her, that she obviously knew was there as she lives in the bl@ody building??!! Obviously not where she was going that is for sure.

How do you drive into a driveway and ever increasingly tight turn area and run right over a large object like a human being and not know you'd hit and driven over them??

The mind boggles at such deadly ineptitudes!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

How could she not have known that she'd just run somebody over?

Also, in a perfect world the painter should have had someone watching his back whilst he worked.

she very obviously didn't see him - why ?

was he wearing something so he could be seen, probably not

11 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Lock her up!

Maybe she didn't see the painter. But driving a car over someone and not noticing it is basically impossible unless she was drunk, drugged, or something like that.

Any normal driver who drives against a big "obstacle" would brake right away. She didn't. Guilty. 

And yes, there should have been a sign or someone looking after the painter, but that doesn't change anything from my comment above.

oh ?

12 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Also, in a perfect world the painter should have had someone watching his back whilst he worked.

Yeah, or just some simple cones set up, road work sign.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

I agree, however could be that she thought it was a speed hump ?

A witch hat at the entrance would have stopped this, but 99.99% of times, you could take out a worker anywhere, as I have almost on many occasions, due to their lack of work safety, someone should really teach these guys about work safety and have supervisors checking that they do follow policy, that said, my guess is companies who employ these workers aren't up for the big payouts if their workers get killed, so really don't care.

RIP way to young to go out and I do hope the company he worked for does assist his family financially with a good payout, won't bring him back, but if he has young kids, could at least help them into the future.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, orchis said:

hard to believe her 

yeah she just ran over someone for fun

he was in the middle of the access road which normally would not have people doing stuff.....the bottom line - he should have had cones out so nobody would run over him while he was working - it's like any sort of roadworks - the area should have been cordended off so he and his crew could work safely ................just stupidity and what happened ..... 

7 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:

Some female drivers have a strange sense behind the wheel.

some male drivers have a strange sense.

some kids do

some elderly people do

I don't understand....is this a defense?      Judge, I'm a female and I have a strange sense.

Judge:  Why are you driving, that isn't safe!

Oh, I know.  But that's my defense.  Can I go?

She was on the phone, only explanation.

So may tourists I see here learn that there are no enforced laws on the roads, or just about.

So tourists do the same as Thais. Driving, best time to text and make calls...

The road laws that are enforced here are those that are meant to protect people from themselves, like road blocks to giving a fine to Mbike drivers not wearing a helmet. If there is some police work that does not make me feel safe on the roads, well, that is it. But one thing is certain, police like to do this kind of police work, because it can be done in total safety for themselves.

When will police understand that the population provide salaries to police to get protection from others that have behaviors dangerous to them, to their children, to their family, and to drivers on the road. I really do not perceive a threat in Mbike drivers not wearing a helmet, none. And ticketing cars parked on the wrong side of the road, I never saw a threat in that either. But one nice activity that police do downtown here.

Great work, safe at all times, and with 'benefits'.

Edited by Andre0720
Typo

Study the picture guys, turning left in a right hand drive car, short turn into condo, look at angle of car, average person would be looking ahead at the boom gate and anticipating the boom gate opening, the guy is squatting on the ground dressed in dark clothes and no safety vest or safety cones to make people aware of his presence. Yes the woman is partly to blame, however, this is merely a tragic accident. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I accidentally back-up over a squirrel once and felt guilty for days; and something even that small noticed the crunch under my wheels. There is something fishy about this woman's story.

Perhaps listening to AC/DC at the time?

Once one notices the crunch it is too late!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, still kicking said:

Any civilised country there would not be someone on the road. without warning signs or even warning lights I don't blame the women 

What if a kid was on the road , she should not be allowed to drive again  at the least . Your comment is the same as I would expect from a Thai , same the “ never been down that road before “ comment after accident, expect the unusual when driving or not drive

12 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

And not one person calling for her to blood/alcohol tested after she grotesquely killed a man, whose presence was glaringly obvious to anyone paying attention, and left the scene pretending that she felt nothing after the contact.  Lucky she isn't a Thai having to suffer the usual Thaivisa venom.   Amazing.

In my opinion, the venom is usually directed at where it's needed. In this case at the Australian woman. Unless of course you're one of those who think our host's behaviour is flawless.

• Thumbs Up 2

When I watched this in the news yesterday, I commented to my wife that the Thai authorities would hang the driver. Yes her reaction was slow, yes I cannot understand why she drive over the body and parked her car without realising what she had done. Too be fair to the driver, she wouldn’t expect to turn off the street into a private driveway and find a person crouched down in the middle of that driveway entrance painting the road, who knows maybe 90% of us would have hit him, also having hit him 90% of us would have realised and stopped the car? If blame is to be apportioned then the Condo owners and workmen should also share that responsibility, yes I know this is Thailand but is crass stupidity not to have any signs, cordons or comes out to signify that there was work in progress, unfortunate timing for the workman’s lookout to have gone for a leak. The article said she admitted causing the accident, I hope that’s incorrect, responsibility for it yes, causing it absolutely no, Thai Health & Safety measures played a large part in the cause. RIP the dead Guy & good

luck to the driver, she will need it!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

No, in a perfect world such unfit drivers shouldn't even be driving a vehicle. A severe punishment brings nothing more for the victim, but for his relatives and maybe makes certain drivers think about going on foot in the future instead of using the streets as a ticking time bomb.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, KhonKaenAde said:

When I watched this in the news yesterday, I commented to my wife that the Thai authorities would hang the driver. Yes her reaction was slow, yes I cannot understand why she drive over the body and parked her car without realising what she had done. Too be fair to the driver, she wouldn’t expect to turn off the street into a private driveway and find a person crouched down in the middle of that driveway entrance painting the road, who knows maybe 90% of us would have hit him, also having hit him 90% of us would have realised and stopped the car? If blame is to be apportioned then the Condo owners and workmen should also share that responsibility, yes I know this is Thailand but is crass stupidity not to have any signs, cordons or comes out to signify that there was work in progress, unfortunate timing for the workman’s lookout to have gone for a leak. The article said she admitted causing the accident, I hope that’s incorrect, responsibility for it yes, causing it absolutely no, Thai Health & Safety measures played a large part in the cause. RIP the dead Guy & good

luck to the driver, she will need it!

Go to the road traffic office and hand in your driver's license......

• Haha 1