Australian Woman Runs Over and Kills Street Painter in Pattaya

snoop1130

Both the worker and the driver is at fault. But not noticing the accident would be nearly impossible. Looking more closely at the photo it appears, that what the worker was painting is actually a small speed bump.

Edited by Xonax
  • Thumbs Up 1

In thailand you expect line painters , road repairs and sometimes even toddlers, this lady got distracted or whatever and ran over some poor worker who was making lines to help keep her (a resident)  safer but sadly he was mored down and killed.

any car would lift and fall as it ran over somebody. 

if someone hadn’t ran over to tell her ( even tho she already knew) she would of just gone back to condo and enjoyed coffee n cake .  heartless fn b**ch

ban her from driving worldwide sell her car/ condo and give proceeds to his family. 

Edited by flyingfox1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Mrs. Michelle Ann Eddy, seemed to be totally unaware of Mr. Prasit

Geeze so scary.  How many soi dogs has she killed, they're always in the middle of the road asleep. 

I'd say she was texting or she's blind as a bat ???? 

Edited by Cricky

On the ring road yesterday, a road where traffic always runs at 90+, go down the underpass, up the other side and there at the top of the brow, just out of view until the very last second is a set of cones, one or two meters beyond that are workmen cutting trees and cleaning up their mess. Impossible for drivers to see in advance or to react in time, unless the next lane is open and they can swerve....who to blame if they get hit, certainly not the drivers yet that's where responsibility will rest.

Crikey feels sorry RIP to worker & family where was safety protection for this guy , to be honest so many pot holes and bumps on soi or roads maybe just did not know it happens shes cooperating with investigation its terrible tragedy could of been avoided by getting security to act a spotter for him while painting let alone laying on his back on road curb if turning in it is hard to see someone laying down no protection employers responsibility also ! I doubt deliberate by any stretch of imagination ! Accidents happen feel sad to read this story RIP ???? 

• Thumbs Up 1

many year ago in Australia my mum was driving home just after 5pm(dusk) and as she turned a corner she nudged a pedestrian crossing the road wearing very dark clothes, luckily she wasnt driving fast so the pedestrian wasnt hurt. When she got home she cut up her driving licence and the next day put her car up for sale, she explained she didnt see the person crossing the road because of their very dark clothes but was worried her eye sight may not be good enough to drive any more and she didnt want to be responsible for hurting anyone, she was in her late 60's, she never drove again. Maybe this lady is in the same boat, eyesight failing but would also have to be totally brain dead to not feel/realize she was running over something.

• Thanks 1

A number of factors involved here.

The painter's colleague (spotter?) had gone to the toilet leaving his partner alone.

The entrance, and the painter, were just around a blind corner possibly making it impossible, or difficult, for a driver to see, or expect to encounter, someone crouched down in the driveway.

The boom gate was rising which would naturally be where the drivers focus would be. It should also have alerted the painter to an approaching vehicle. There is a certain obligation for a person to be cognizant of their own safety in a situation like this. (Working on a roadway)

Criminality requires mens rea to be proven. The initial accident would not be considered criminal, but possibly the failure to stop and then leave the scene could be. Although this could be attributed to shock or a disbelieve in the horror of the situation.

The lady will find herself charged with offences and it will cost her financially and mentally.  The unfortunate painter should not have been where he was without taken basic safety precautions. (TIT)

No one is 100% to blame for this tragic situation.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, seajae said:

many year ago in Australia my mum was driving home just after 5pm(dusk) and as she turned a corner she nudged a pedestrian crossing the road wearing very dark clothes, luckily she wasnt driving fast so the pedestrian wasnt hurt. When she got home she cut up her driving licence and the next day put her car up for sale, she explained she didnt see the person crossing the road because of their very dark clothes but was worried her eye sight may not be good enough to drive any more and she didnt want to be responsible for hurting anyone, she was in her late 60's, she never drove again. Maybe this lady is in the same boat, eyesight failing but would also have to be totally brain dead to not feel/realize she was running over something.

Many years ago, I hit an old lady (80s) with my car, breaking her ankle. It was at night on a busy intersection. Her family decided to cross 10 meters back from the intersection, through a line of traffic waiting to turn right. They dragged her through a gap in the lineup and into the left lane where I was proceeding straight through with the green light. 

The family sprinted out of the way leaving mother to her fate. I managed to almost completely stop but still gave her a slight bump which caused the injury.

I took her, and a couple of her family, to the nearby public hospital where the typical long wait for treatment commenced. After an hour or so her family members became impatient and left, leaving me, and my then wife, alone, and astonished at their callousness, with the lady. We chatted, a lovely lady with a sh... family!  As her family didn't care, we also decided to leave after she was eventually taken in for treatment. 

I've never felt a shred of guilt for this, instead blaming the lady's family members 100%.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Yes, clearly the main issue here is the lack of proper safety procedures to protect the worker.

My wife and I have long ago named road painters "the suicide squad" because of their poor safety procedures and protections. This may not exactly qualify as it seems to be a private road, rather than a highway, but the same principles apply.

Still a stupid driver, though.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Lock her up!

Maybe she didn't see the painter. But driving a car over someone and not noticing it is basically impossible unless she was drunk, drugged, or something like that.

Any normal driver who drives against a big "obstacle" would brake right away. She didn't. Guilty. 

And yes, there should have been a sign or someone looking after the painter, but that doesn't change anything from my comment above.

Thais run over people all the time and never stop , or not notice and they are always innocent, why should a farang be found guilty double standards!

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

Many posters are commenting on the driver not noticing the incident, considering she did not do the damage with her wheels but with the underbody of the car and negotiating a speed hump at the time maybe this should be considered in assessment of her actions 

• Thumbs Up 2

I could see where the worker could have easily been obscured from view. Sharp turn into the entrance, slope of entrance would lift the front of the car when entering, hedge blocking the view, worker in dark clothes crouched very close to the ground, height of the driver, time of day would effect the lighting, tinted windscreen?

Check it out for yourself:
https://www.google.com/maps/@12.9649362,100.8864679,3a,43.6y,219.42h,78.03t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sXwuxrm8W-yOar4r2jQmpKA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Robin said:

You cannot blame the painter, however convenient it might be.  Any driver is obliged to drive so they can stop within the distance they can see.  That is basic road safety.

It could have easily have been a child running across the road, or even playing in the road.

Didn't know she had run over someone, or did not want to know she had runover someone?

Top most sensible comment!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ningnong said:

I could see where the worker could have easily been obscured from view. Sharp turn into the entrance, slope of entrance would lift the front of the car when entering, hedge blocking the view, worker in dark clothes crouched very close to the ground, height of the driver, time of day would effect the lighting, tinted windscreen?

Check it out for yourself:
https://www.google.com/maps/@12.9649362,100.8864679,3a,43.6y,219.42h,78.03t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sXwuxrm8W-yOar4r2jQmpKA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

Note the area for vehicle detection, in the pic at top of thread it shows she is nowhere near this point and the pic also shows the barrier rising so the barrier was activated manually and there is no video of security leaving for a toilet break

36 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Unmitigated garbage.

My personal experience is being 'bowled over' by a moto with sidecart. My Thai niece was walking beside me. The rider (with pillion) stopped, looked over their shoulders then quickly departed. Fortunately, we only received bruises. Thai niece said; "they always run away in case it might cost them something".

4 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

My personal experience is being 'bowled over' by a moto with sidecart. My Thai niece was walking beside me. The rider (with pillion) stopped, looked over their shoulders then quickly departed. Fortunately, we only received bruises. Thai niece said; "they always run away in case it might cost them something".

What your niece said was unmitigated garbage, also, then.

• Like 1

Just now, Harsh Jones said:
4 hours ago, Foghorn said:

If she was on the phone at the time she should go prison , why can’t people leave their phones alone for 10 minutes , the worse invention for mankind 

oh god. So you've never ever done it ?

Of course, he hasn't, he's a Thaivisa westerner, the personification of perfection in all things.

• Haha 2

My mrs sometimes goes through a red light claiming she did not see it and why they put there, not to mention not knowing what any road signs mean and never stopping at zebra crossings. However, this woman was Australian so should have been a decent driver, even for a woman.

• Love It 1