You're so American!

Jingthing

36 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

They want ice in a drink, they want to wear a hat inside -when will the madness and torture ever end?

This is the petty fault-finding of the resentful and second rate.

Next up: I speak at a perfectly reasonable volume (when the sun is setting, even) -and there's nothing you can do about it except smile politely while you hope I deign to purchase a red mailbox refrigerator magnet in what looks like a comically burnt out Bansky installation,  but is really where Brits live.

Only the most quashed and defeated people in the world care about the hat-wearing of virtual strangers -to make themselves feel better.  

Giving us special hat-wearing dispensation  since we're idiots is hilarious passive aggression. We know about your many bowler hat rules, we just laugh at them 

What a nice little rant, hope you feel better now.:clap2:

BTW, I was making an observation, not criticizing.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posts and replies bringing politics into this topic have been removed as per the forum header:

ASEAN NOW Community Pub
Thailand is legendary for its entertainment, both traditional and modern. Discuss night life, restaurants, bars, music, movies, concerts, expat life, fun, or just a chat about anything not covered by other sub-forums. (No Politics).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Folks are obsessed about the USA, 12 pages of stories of meeting US folks. You love us, you can't get enough of us.

Bang on the money there EVENKEEL.

The world can't get enough of the US.

11 hours ago, ozimoron said:

If here was every any doubt that you  are flat out racist this dispelled it.

What is your opinion about the MLK new statue ?

If liking the new MLK makes you a racist , would disliking the new statue make you a non racist ?

So, what is your opinion of his new statue ?

Woke' MLK 'penis' statue insults black community: Coretta Scott King kin

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

If liking the new MLK makes you a racist , would disliking the new statue make you a non racist ?

MLK was a flawed man that took on/championed some worthy causes that helped better the world....

Admittedly, I am not an art critic....

That being said, in every picture and angle that I've seen of that sculpture, it looks hideous.....

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

What's it supposed to be?

It's worth noting that in times and countries with high levels of anti Americanism, Americans are advised to make an effort to blend in.

But this can be more general anti crime advice to all.

Such as don't wear shorts and sandals in Medellin which screams tourist and makes people targets 

Edited by Jingthing

39 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Why care? It is art by an famous artist! There is no like or not like on art! If you feel something, then the artist did his job. Is the statue  relevant for who it is symbolizing? 

48 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

Quite right. It’s very important to be able to laugh about yourself from time to time, not always take yourself too seriously. Many Americans to me seem irony or sarcasm impaired, as well as thin skinned when anyone dares criticize (either real or perceived) America and/or Americans

With the greatest respect, not all.of us.

https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/americans-cannot-understand-british-sarcasm-study

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

How long ago is a couple of thousands of generations ?

100 000 years ?

Did that sting a bit?

There's no such thing as a 'pure' European—or anyone else

Most of us are a mishmash of many migrations over thousands of years

New studies show that almost all indigenous Europeans descend from at least three major migrations in the past 15,000 years, including two from the Middle East.  (LOLZ)

https://www.science.org/content/article/theres-no-such-thing-pure-european-or-anyone-else

Edited by ozimoron
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Did that sting a bit?

There's no such thing as a 'pure' European—or anyone else

Most of us are a mishmash of many migrations over thousands of years

https://www.science.org/content/article/theres-no-such-thing-pure-european-or-anyone-else

I may start to wear African clothes and change my name to an African name , grow dreadlocks  and start a charity ,its my heritage 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I never said all of you, I said “many Americans”. I know there are quite a few very savvy Americans who have a good sense of humor, and they know America is not at all perfect, and certainly not ‘the best country in the world’ or ‘god’s own country’, as many Americans seem to believe.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, happydreamer said:

What are you talking about.  Each of those has their own variations of words, phrases, and spelling dictated by how a word is pronounced.  Learnt, for example.  

No, American English is spelt totally different to the English spoken by those who are not too arrogant to acknowlege that English comes from their old master, Britain.  Surley you have noticed that?

4 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

No, American English is spelt totally different to the English spoken by those who are not too arrogant to acknowlege that English comes from their old master, Britain.  Surley you have noticed that?

As a native speaker of British English I would not suggest that either spelling is superior.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1