You're so American!

Jingthing

Just now, EVENKEEL said:

I don't watch wrestling, don't follow sports except for a little UFC. Problem with non-US living residents is your info comes from liberal news stations. Your view of Americans comes from one sided news agencies.

America is the one place folks love to criticize and ironically it's the first place folks (allies) look to for help. Admit it, you love the USA. 

So nobody should criticize the US because they need them?

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

So nobody should criticize the US because they need them?

I said folks love to criticize the US. I understand why others look to the USA for help. I sometimes wish that we wouldn't be global police. Let the others solve their own problems. 

Here's a little something to make fun of. In Calif they want to pay 5 mil USD a head for slavery reparations for blacks. 

I don't take a bit of offense, I rather like joking about the thriftiness of our Dutch cousins, the ladyboy loving Germans and so on.

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I don't watch wrestling, don't follow sports except for a little UFC. Problem with non-US living residents is your info comes from liberal news stations. Your view of Americans comes from one sided news agencies.

America is the one place folks love to criticize and ironically it's the first place folks (allies) look to for help. Admit it, you love the USA. 

Ironically I have lived in Usa, and I have family in Usa where one family relatives just after almost 100 years came back to Norway after their scientists program was turned down, and both now working in universities there. 

I lived mostly In Floriday, but because of my travel’s included meeting and socializing  with a wide spectre of people from all over the states, I think I have a voice that is valid. 

No doubt American wrestling is huge in the states, and there is a majority of stereotypes to pick from be it rednecks or more educated people, and use liberal as a negative loaded word to deny it is a fact? Thats quite funny! 

And just get over it, we need Usa as much as Usa needs us. Without us, no American dream! 

As good friends we are, we do point out the weaknesses Usa have, for instance racism when Martin Luther King got his Nobels Peace Price, and also Failed invasions and interruptions world wide

Edited by Hummin
  • Thumbs Up 1

Some more posts and replies bringing politics into this topic have been removed as per the forum header:

ASEAN NOW Community Pub
Thailand is legendary for its entertainment, both traditional and modern. Discuss night life, restaurants, bars, music, movies, concerts, expat life, fun, or just a chat about anything not covered by other sub-forums. (No Politics).

16 hours ago, Hummin said:

Many expats wants democrazy in Thailand, but America should be a great example of why it shouldnt.

Typical American is the true love of American wrestling, of course world champions in American sports, as well political Chaos and circus. 

Did John Wayne used to be a typical American male role model Before Rambo? 

Rambo was so much cooler and tougher than John Wayne. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hummin said:

Ironically I have lived in Usa, and I have family in Usa where one family relatives just after almost 100 years came back to Norway after their scientists program was turned down, and both now working in universities there. 

I lived mostly In Floriday, but because of my travel’s included meeting and socializing  with a wide spectre of people from all over the states, I think I have a voice that is valid. 

No doubt American wrestling is huge in the states, and there is a majority of stereotypes to pick from be it rednecks or more educated people, and use liberal as a negative loaded word to deny it is a fact? Thats quite funny! 

And just get over it, we need Usa as much as Usa needs us. Without us, no American dream! 

As good friends we are, we do point out the weaknesses Usa have, for instance racism when Martin Luther King got his Nobels Peace Price, and also Failed invasions and interruptions world wide

"I think I have a voice that is valid. "

Yeah, everybody thinks that; no matter how limited their information.

For example, wrestling may be "huge" but I don't follow it and i have never known anyone who follows it.

The United States is a big diverse place; trying to describe it based on your self-judged "wide spectrum" of people is naive.

I would guess that the difference in opinions, interests, and aspirations between me and many other Americans is wider than the differences between me and some Asians, Europeans, Africans.

Does everyone in Amsterdam smoke weed?

Do all Brits have a fanatical attachment to their football club and their "local" pub?

Are all Frenchman adulterers?

Are all Swedes suicidal?

Are all Scots violent drunks? (Well ok, bad example).

People like to characterize other nationalities, mostly harmless, but the point is every nation has diversity in their people.

Edited by cdemundo
  • Like 1

On 1/16/2023 at 11:30 PM, KannikaP said:

You are correct in noticing that I do not live in England, but I can assure you that I am English by birth and upbringing, getting O Levels in English Language & Literature, and A Level in Language.

This thread is about Americans, who do not know the difference between the two words being discussed.

Many Brits speak a variant of the language that would not pass muster with a language snob like you.

I know very little about Britain but have seen British celebs who didn't speak Oxbridge English, and the Brits on the reality shows also speak a different variant than the one you favor.

You single out Americans but a significant number of Brits don't conform to your standard of language use.

I will try to avoid using an American slang phrase but you seem to have a large arthropod lodged in your posterior with respect to this issue.

An example of Brits speaking English variants: this show appears to take most of it's entertainment value from the fact that the judge finds it difficult (or pretends to find it difficult) to understand the speech of those Brits that appear before them.

Point being, Brits diverge from you your idea of perfect English speech just as much as Americans.

Edited by cdemundo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Rambo is a character in a film and John Wayne is a real person 

True. I meant Stallone played a cooler character as John Rambo, than most of the rather artificial, pretentious, smug, arrogant characters Wayne played. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

True. I meant Stallone played a cooler character as John Rambo, than most of the rather artificial, pretentious, smug, arrogant characters Wayne played. 

John Wayne lived the character more or less as an American hero? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cdemundo said:

"I think I have a voice that is valid. "

Yeah, everybody thinks that; no matter how limited their information.

For example, wrestling may be "huge" but I don't follow it and i have never known anyone who follows it.

The United States is a big diverse place; trying to describe it based on your self-judged "wide spectrum" of people is naive.

I would guess that the difference in opinions, interests, and aspirations between me and many other Americans is wider than the differences between me and some Asians, Europeans, Africans.

Does everyone in Amsterdam smoke weed?

Do all Brits have a fanatical attachment to their football club and their "local" pub?

Are all Frenchman adulterers?

Are all Swedes suicidal?

Are all Scots violent drunks? (Well ok, bad example).

People like to characterize other nationalities, mostly harmless, but the point is every nation has diversity in their people.

I hear you, and sure did touch a nerve ???? The truth is Usa i diversed, and have alot of stereo types, and I never said anything else. Still impressive to see how fake things and fake lifestyles and unhealthy lifestyles is cultivated.

I mean 8L non functional cars and motorbikes, you can only drive for show for an example? Enough for now. Have a good day

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

On 1/17/2023 at 7:10 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

What is your opinion about the MLK new statue ?

If liking the new MLK makes you a racist , would disliking the new statue make you a non racist ?

So, what is your opinion of his new statue ?

Woke' MLK 'penis' statue insults black community: Coretta Scott King kin

Looks like someone trying to vanish up their own rectum. 

2 hours ago, cdemundo said:

Many Brits speak a variant of the language that would not pass muster with a language snob like you.

I know very little about Britain but have seen British celebs who didn't speak Oxbridge English, and the Brits on the reality shows also speak a different variant than the one you favor.

You single out Americans but a significant number of Brits don't conform to your standard of language use.

I will try to avoid using an American slang phrase but you seem to have a large arthropod lodged in your posterior with respect to this issue.

An example of Brits speaking English variants: this show appears to take most of it's entertainment value from the fact that the judge finds it difficult (or pretends to find it difficult) to understand the speech of those Brits that appear before them.

Point being, Brits diverge from you your idea of perfect English speech just as much as Americans.

You are totally correct, and thank you for reprimanding me. 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2023 at 10:24 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

I disagree. Those posters that seek to tarnish other posters with false accusations need to be exposed for what they are.

Who says it was a false accusation? If it was, why not take it up with the moderators? They are the ones who can do something about it. 

On 1/18/2023 at 7:53 AM, Damrongsak said:

Some 20 years back my son went to the emergency room in the U.S. with a bad gut pain.  We didn't have health insurance at the time.  He was there about 4 hours.  Not sure if they did a CT scan or whatever.  We got a bill for somewhere around $20,000. (USD).  Due to him being under 18 and no income, most was forgiven.  Still, the Doc on duty that night cost us a couple thousand $.  And he probably didn't spend more than 1/2 hour total.

Contrast that with my visit to a Thai emergency room in October last year.  ER, x-rays, CT scan and an overnight in the Loei government hospital - about $425. at the exchange rate then.  It was an interesting experience.

Insurance is not really "insurance" in America unless you have a golden plan like CEOs and politicians who are fully indemnified from costs. It is a discount program you cannot afford to be without,  unless you are broke.  

In an emergency like you son abdominal pain you get the same care a as a bum off the street. Vagrants don't have addresses and poor people never get sued waste of money for the hospital  simply throw the bills in the garbage. Nothing happens. However a person with a job and assets would be sued and even have wages garnished. So we all pay for lack of Universal coverage in the end.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hummin said:

John Wayne lived the character more or less as an American hero? 

He did. But like much of the 1950's it was so full of artifice, bordering on propaganda. It was all American swagger. It does not and did not feel real, or genuine. On the other hand, Rambo was intended as a fantasy character, yet seemed more real and heartfelt. Just my crazy perspective. 

• Like 1