You're so American!

Jingthing

2 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

Not knowing?  I know Americans are the least travelled but surely they watch enough TV or spend time on the web etc to see NO-One else wears a hat inside??

American culture is quite informal.  It doesn't dawn on most especially younger generations.  No hats in a building is/was taught to us in school when we were kids but you're going back some 35 -40 years. There's a lot of common courtesies that have fallen off.  That being said I still wear a hat to the gym because I'm playing sports and often both inside and outside during a workout.

1 hour ago, rudi49jr said:

Almost all Americans that I ever met can not stop talking, they just talk all the time, about the most inane and trivial things. I was on Ko Phi Phi once, and some people had gathered on a hill overlooking the sea to watch the sunset. It was rather beautiful, it was quiet and peaceful, and when someone said something it was in a very low voice or a whisper.
Then two young American women showed up and they sat down, didn’t even look at the sunset and just continued their loud conversation, that we had already heard coming towards us for a couple of minutes as they made their way up the hill. After about five minutes of them yacking it up I asked them, very politely, if they could please be quiet, as we were trying to enjoy the sunset. They looked at me as if I had insulted them deeply, immediately got up and left in a huff.

Don’t get me wrong, I have several American friends and I love them dearly, but sometimes I wish I could tape their mouths shut for just a little while. 

This may be as close to the truth as we get. It is hard for them to go anywhere or do anything without running a constant commentary and/or chewing over the most mundane and trivial things with their friends.  In Japan it is called being "KY"- the first letters of the words "kuuki yomenai", which means they can't read the air. Meaning they can't take notice of the situation they are in or read the social cues of people around them and behave accordingly.

I had a similar experience in a small massage shop in Udon Thani. You know, the cheap ones beside the lake where it is basically one big room. But only 180 baht for an hour. About 10 minutes into my session, a couple young ladies (obviously my dear neighbours to the south) came in and wouldn't shut up. Plus the added bonus of doing Face Time with their friends during their massage.

Similar to Rudi, I asked them politely to keep it down, that the Thai people around them were probably too polite to complain, but that they were disturbing everyone in the shop. To their credit, they apologized and piped down. 

Edited by Hanaguma
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, happydreamer said:

The assumption wasn't that you don't live in England.  The assumption was that you don't live in the United States and therefore are ignorant to the culture, references, idioms, metaphors, slang and oh yeah...abbreviations used in spoken and written American English.  

The conversation we're having (were having) is about pointing out the idiosyncrasies of written American English.  There was never a dispute over your level of proficiency in English.  There's plenty of people with high levels of achievement that can be wrong.  Regardless you still chose to dispute an American English speaker over what we call the two letter abbreviations for states within our country and for that matter, the LEARNERS version (as in the version for someone who needs to learn) of the Oxford Advanced Dictionary.

Sorry, in your previous post you described yourself as a native English speaker, but here you change it to American English speaker.

Hey, let's stop for the 'nice' day and use whatever word we want to. Cheers.

4 minutes ago, happydreamer said:

The assumption wasn't that you don't live in England.  The assumption was that you don't live in the United States and therefore are ignorant to the culture, references, idioms, metaphors, slang and oh yeah...abbreviations used in spoken and written American English.  

The conversation we're having (were having) is about pointing out the idiosyncrasies of written American English.  There was never a dispute over your level of proficiency in English.  There's plenty of people with high levels of achievement that can be wrong.  Regardless you still chose to dispute an American English speaker over what we call the two letter abbreviations for states within our country and for that matter, the LEARNERS version (as in the version for someone who needs to learn) of the Oxford Advanced Dictionary.

"American English" lol, even alone its ludicrous.

Just imagine Australian English or Canadian English, New Zealand English, South African English etc lol.    They had no need because they learnt to spell rather than change the language because they couldnt haha!

1 minute ago, Hanaguma said:

This may be as close to the truth as we get. It is hard for them to go anywhere or do anything without running a constant commentary and/or chewing over the most mundane and trivial things with their friends.

I had a similar experience in a small massage shop in Udon Thani. You know, the cheap ones beside the lake where it is basically one big room. But only 180 baht for an hour. About 10 minutes into my session, a couple young ladies (obviously my dear neighbours to the south) came in and wouldn't shut up. Plus the added bonus of doing Face Time with their friends during their massage.

Similar to Rudi, I asked them politely to keep it down, that the Thai people around them were probably too polite to complain, but that they were disturbing everyone in the shop. To their credit, they apologized and piped down. 

Common for most countries, be it German, English, Irish, or Norwegians who I find all loud when together with their own, but Americans have a tendency to stick out in a mixed group. My experience.

Finnish people the country of few words and as a tourist destination operator, the best customers! 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, happydreamer said:

American culture is quite informal.  It doesn't dawn on most especially younger generations.  No hats in a building is/was taught to us in school when we were kids but you're going back some 35 -40 years. There's a lot of common courtesies that have fallen off.  That being said I still wear a hat to the gym because I'm playing sports and often both inside and outside during a workout.

In the gym I get, the rest I fail to comprehend.

Just now, ThaiFelix said:

"American English" lol, even alone its ludicrous.

Just imagine Australian English or Canadian English, New Zealand English, South African English etc lol.    They had no need because they learnt to spell rather than change the language because they couldnt haha!

What are you talking about.  Each of those has their own variations of words, phrases, and spelling dictated by how a word is pronounced.  Learnt, for example.  

12 minutes ago, happydreamer said:

I don't know much about Mexican Texas culture.  I was referring to Texas in general as having a culture of its own different than most parts of the US which most who are not from Texas will not understand.

Texas used to be called Mexican Texas because it originally was in Mexico! Therefor Texas might have a different signature culture than the other states, as Minnesota have many citizens who still speak old Norwegian language, dress in old National folk dress and eat typical old norwegian dishes. 

Edited by Hummin

40 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

Always makes me laugh when they brag about everythings bigger in Texas.  Texas would get lost in Australia, even in our smaller states lol!

Actually, maybe the hats are bigger in Texas.  Nobody else would be that silly lol!.

I read recently that Texans were the biggest 'weight challenged' people in the US.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Texas used to be called Mexican Texas because it originally was in Mexico! Therefor Texas might have a different signature culture than the other states, as Minnesota have many citizens who still speak old Norwegian language, dress in old National folk dress and eat typical old norwegian dishes. 

I think most people who aren't from the US think Texas and think of cowboys, hence the discussion on 10 gallon hats going on somewhere above.  The same way when people think of spoken American English they always seem to impersonate Valley-girl/guy accents and if you mention NY they throw on a bogus Goodfellas accent. 

1 hour ago, ThaiFelix said:

No its nothing to do with obsession it's ignorance.  Most Americans have no idea whats outside the US, so difficult to have an opinion when you have no knowledge of the subject.  

Its the same reason why many Americans will name the state rather than the country when asked where they come from.  To many, everywhere else is insignificant compared to the US therefore everyone should know where California is or that WA stands for Washington State.

Even though I don't read bkk6060's post, the one quoted, I'm going to have agree 100%.   Yanks, and the rest of the Americans, just don't seem to care about UK & EU, and few will even bother leaving the Americas for a holiday there.  Too far, too expensive.

Brits do seem to be obsessed along with much of the EU folks.  Pretty easy to tell simply by this forum, UK & EU folks dominated, a few Aussies, as I'm waiting for all the threads about Germany, France, Italy, Spain,  Then maybe a thread about them chilly Scandinavians up north, can't forget them.

USA USA USA, America, Trump, Biden ... thread after thread, if not about Thailand and the Thai who get spoken so highly of ????

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, happydreamer said:

I think most people who aren't from the US think Texas and think of cowboys, hence the discussion on 10 gallon hats going on somewhere above.  The same way when people think of spoken American English they always seem to impersonate Valley-girl/guy accents and if you mention NY they throw on a bogus Goodfellas accent. 

I think the '10 gallon hat' came about as a way of measuring oil. Which is what Texas is also famous for.

It's good that one state can be known for so many things.

Just now, happydreamer said:

I Have experience with The Company man for Esso from Texas on several exploration wells in Norway. I could say alot about that, but again that was typical american represent on site, and I could say alot about many other nationalities, but no other disrespected another Superviser's experience and knownledge more than American company men. 

First time I met him was in the Gym, and I asked if It was okay I put on some music,, and he said yes, but if you put on some nigga music, I will kill you! 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I Have experience with The Company man for Esso from Texas on several exploration wells in Norway. I could say alot about that, but again that was typical american represent on site, and I could say alot about many other nationalities, but no other disrespected another Superviser's experience and knownledge more than American company men. 

First time I met him was in the Gym, and I asked if It was okay I put on some music,, and he said yes, but if you put on some nigga music, I will kill you! 

Ha.....went to a gym last week...there was only me and one other guy.

The music was blasting out and I shouted to him.....have you any idea how to turn this **** off...?

He said yes and picked up his iPhone...!!!!

Edited by Will B Good
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Ha.....went to a gym last week...there was only me and one other guy.

The music was blasting out and I shouted to him.....have you any idea how to turn this **** off...?

He said yes and picked up his iPhone...!!!!

I always ask if its okay, even Im first one in the gym, and always turn down if I play laud

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rudi49jr said:

I always wonder why so many southerners (especially Texans) wear those ten gallon cowboy hats indoors. I can understand - to a certain degree - why they wear them outdoors, but why on earth would you wear a huge hat like that indoors?

People that wear them tend to work outside under the hot sun. When they take them off, there is the border line between their very tan face and the very white top of their heads

17 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

People that wear them tend to work outside under the hot sun. When they take them off, there is the border line between their very tan face and the very white top of their heads

Also, with no big stetsons you couldn't use the fabulous phrase "all hat and no cattle" to describe someone with no testicular fortitude.

3 hours ago, JimTripper said:

It’s strange how fellow Americans say I’m from America when they are in Thailand. Nobody says that normally, it’s the United States. I think they answer that way because Thais only understand America.

America for Thais, US for others

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Ya...and thats sorta an unfortunate part of that culture too.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Don't think it's arrogance, just doing things differently in the US and not knowing it's a bit of a faux pas in most parts of the world.

They want ice in a drink, they want to wear a hat inside -when will the madness and torture ever end?

This is the petty fault-finding of the resentful and second rate.

Next up: I speak at a perfectly reasonable volume (when the sun is setting, even) -and there's nothing you can do about it except smile politely while you hope I deign to purchase a red mailbox refrigerator magnet in what looks like a comically burnt out Bansky installation,  but is really where Brits live.

Only the most quashed and defeated people in the world care about the hat-wearing of virtual strangers -to make themselves feel better.  

Giving us special hat-wearing dispensation  since we're idiots is hilarious passive aggression. We know about your many bowler hat rules, we just laugh at them 

Edited by LaosLover
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1