Near new vehicle trade in

I've got a 2021 Mazda CX-3 with less than 6000 km that I want to swap for a late model utility. I did all of the services at Mazda based on monthly intervals due to the low km's in order to keep the service schedule. 

My question is...does anyone have any experience with trading the vehicle in at a dealership for a new vehicle as I want an Isuzu diesel or Mazda equivalent that I can throw a motorbike and some camping gear on the back of. The Mazda isn't suitable for my needs. I have traditionally driven Toyota utes but I wanted something different. I don't want the hassle of selling the Mazda CX privately.

Usually those car dealers be a second hand ones or dealership will try to take an advantage of such situation and to minimize losses, one is advise to shop around and make sure he gets the best deal, better to sell it outright and use the cash for the next car... 

Ask the dealer and a few tents to make an offer. You will then want to sell it privately. My wife rcently got a new honda city. The dealer offered 140-150K for our suzuki swift. Sold it privately to one of her colleagues for 280K. Dealers and tents will shaft you. It's easy to sell to a dealer/tent, but how much of a loss are you willing to accept? 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2023 at 5:13 PM, DavisH said:

Dealers and tents will shaft you. It's easy to sell to a dealer/tent, but how much of a loss are you willing to accept?

Bingo, this is the guts of it.

I've sold big bikes in the past for a much lower price coz i couldn't be bothered messing about with private sales and the hassles with it. 

Depends what you want...

If you don't want the hassle of selling it, see what they'll give you for it, and then ask your friends if any of them want it for the same money. 

I did this twice at Isuzu. First time after I got the offer from the guy at Isuzu for the old unit, I posted it at the plant for the same price and one of the guys bought it. The second time I did the same thing, but no one wanted it, so I sold it to the Isuzu guy. Easy-peasy. 

People buying for re-sale have to make money. Sure, I could have gotten more selling it myself but did not want to mess with it.

I've had four Isuzu pick-ups and loved them all. I do not think there is a better value in Thailand. 

5 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

If you don't want the hassle of selling it, see what they'll give you for it, and then ask your friends if any of them want it for the same money. 

Heck.... in that case...  see what they’ll give for it, then I’ll buy it and sell it privately and make the extra 200,000 baht myself !!!  

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Heck.... in that case...  see what they’ll give for it, then I’ll buy it and sell it privately and make the extra 200,000 baht myself !!!  

Is that not what I said?

The guy offered me about B60K under market for the Tiger and about B50K under for the Spark. One of the guys at the plant took the Toyota and after a week I let Isuzu the guy at Isuzu take it. 

Life changing money indeed..

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Is that not what I said?

The guy offered me about B60K under market for the Tiger and about B50K under for the Spark. One of the guys at the plant took the Toyota and after a week I let Isuzu the guy at Isuzu take it. 

Life changing money indeed..

Fair enough....  

...a few years ago wanted to ‘part exchange’ my BMW...  

I laughed out loud at the price they offered me...  it was about 500k below market value, they were clearly not interested... Tents were not much better...  I sold it privately for my asking price (FaceBook Market Place). 

But... I did have a lot of time wasters (online, just wasting time trying to negotiate with low officers), even a couple of Western guys messaging then getting upset because I was not interested in discussing their ridiculously low offers - one guy got quite aggressive... 

All my cars were ultimately sold privately for very close to or the price I’d set. 

I just sold a watch... had about 50 messages..  So dumb, ppl asking ‘is it still available?’ then disappearing... or ppl offering half etc.. 

... so I understand why you don’t want the hassle of a private sale - but if its priced right, it will get sold - it just depends if you don’t want the hit or not.

Personally I’m surprised a dealership offers you something so close to the actual second hand value.

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Fair enough....  

...a few years ago wanted to ‘part exchange’ my BMW...  

I laughed out loud at the price they offered me...  it was about 500k below market value, they were clearly not interested... Tents were not much better...  I sold it privately for my asking price (FaceBook Market Place). 

But... I did have a lot of time wasters (online, just wasting time trying to negotiate with low officers), even a couple of Western guys messaging then getting upset because I was not interested in discussing their ridiculously low offers - one guy got quite aggressive... 

All my cars were ultimately sold privately for very close to or the price I’d set. 

I just sold a watch... had about 50 messages..  So dumb, ppl asking ‘is it still available?’ then disappearing... or ppl offering half etc.. 

... so I understand why you don’t want the hassle of a private sale - but if its priced right, it will get sold - it just depends if you don’t want the hit or not.

Personally I’m surprised a dealership offers you something so close to the actual second hand value.

15-20% under market is close?

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:
13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

15-20% under market is close?

OK, so your Mazda is valued at about 650,000 to 700,000 baht...  

So if you’re happy selling your Mazda 2021 with 6000kms for *520,000 baht... its a good deal and someone on here will take it off your hands quickly. 

(* 520,000 baht is 650,000 baht minus 20%)

Edited by richard_smith237

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

OK, so your Mazda is valued at about 650,000 to 700,000 baht...  

I don't have a Mazda. 

So if you’re happy selling your Mazda 2021 with 6000kms for *520,000 baht... its a good deal and someone on here will take it off your hands quickly. 

Again, you're confused, it's the OP with a Mazda, not me. 

(* 520,000 baht is 650,000 baht minus 20%)

Wow, how'd you do that?