Russia fires new waves of missiles at Ukraine and hits energy infrastructure

Scott

image.png

Russia launched fresh waves of missile attacks across Ukraine on Saturday, killing at least five people in a strike on an apartment block in the eastern city of Dnipro.

A number of other cities, including Kyiv, Kharkiv and Odesa, were also hit.

Much of Ukraine is now under an emergency blackout after missiles hit power infrastructure in several cities.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64278733

BBC.jpg

On 1/15/2023 at 4:13 AM, Scott said:

Russia launched fresh waves of missile attacks across Ukraine on Saturday, killing at least five people in a strike on an apartment block in the eastern city of Dnipro.

Latest update, more despicable war crimes

The attack left 30 dead while a further 44 are missing, city officials said.

Dnipro mayor Borys Filatov said there was "minimal" chance of finding anyone else alive.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64282044

According to some posters, just because some Ukrainians speak Russian, the country deserved to

be invaded? 

In Thailand there are people who speak English, British, French, and many other Languages.

So what does another language have for an excuse for for some one to invade another country.

IMO some less than intelligent posters on this forum. I am just disappointed that the Rich Russians

and and educated Russian believe an ex KGB man, who is presently their leader in government.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

According to some posters, just because some Ukrainians speak Russian, the country deserved to

be invaded? 

In Thailand there are people who speak English, British, French, and many other Languages.

So what does another language have for an excuse for for some one to invade another country.

IMO some less than intelligent posters on this forum. I am just disappointed that the Rich Russians

and and educated Russian believe an ex KGB man, who is presently their leader in government.

What's so difficult to understand - and being disappointed? It's not just the Rich and educated Russians but all population repeatedly electing with a high approval rate somebody who has brought the country from nearly collapse to a superpower within 2 decades. 

And that he was an ex KGB man? Do you know any country that exists without having thousands men in an intelligence agency?

And don't you know about other case when a director of such intelligence agency became a president? Only it's not emphasized in such a way you show it.       

• Haha 1

On 1/16/2023 at 7:11 AM, Tug said:

I sincerely hope you are mistaken it would tantamount to the nazis winning ww2 no matter what your Russian propaganda says Russia is waging a war of conquest and extermination they are in the wrong 

true as in yesterday's attack fire missiles at a civilian apartment block..Great military strategy eh...Nope just Murder 

Edited by Harveyboy
  • Like 1

Meanwhile, close adviser to Zelensky resigned amid the conflicting reports about the missile dropped on apartment building. 

(His remarks discussed also in other thread).  

Ukraine War: Zelensky adviser resigns over Dnipro remarks

Ukrainian presidential adviser Oleksiy Arestovych has offered his resignation after suggesting a Russian missile which hit a building in Dnipro, killing 44 people, was shot down by Kyiv.

Mr Arestovych apologised and said he had made a "fundamental error".

The original remark caused widespread anger in the country, and was used by Russian officials to blame Ukraine.

The adviser is a well-known figure because of his daily updates on YouTube, watched by millions.

Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky has not yet commented on Mr Arestovych's decision to resign.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64304310

11 hours ago, placeholder said:

Russia is a superpower? It has an economy smaller than Canada's and is heavily weighted towards the production of raw materials. Materials which other countries add lots of value to. What Russia has is nuclear weapons. The rest of its armed forces are clearly a travesty. If being able to destroy civilization makes post-Soviet Russia a superpower, then it has been one for its entire existence.

Quite a lot of strong statements you surely could provide credible links to. Do you want further debate this topic in this thread? Then, I am afraid the mod will not be happy... 

4 hours ago, Saanim said:

Quite a lot of strong statements you surely could provide credible links to. Do you want further debate this topic in this thread? Then, I am afraid the mod will not be happy... 

I get it. You raised the issue by claiming Russia is now a superpower thanks to Putin and now you're claiming it's irrelevant? Hypocritical much? As for proof, you'd have to live in an extremely opaque bubble not to know how comparatively weak and underdeveloped the Russian economy was even before the invasion of Ukraine. But since you seem to need links here they are:

This is Russia's GDP rank by nation.

https://www.worldometers.info/gdp/gdp-by-country/

But when you do it by GDP per capita,which is obvously a more realistic way to gauge its economy it's a lot worse:

https://www.worldometers.info/gdp/gdp-per-capita/

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I get it. You raised the issue by claiming Russia is now a superpower thanks to Putin and now you're claiming it's irrelevant? Hypocritical much? As for proof, you'd have to live in an extremely opaque bubble not to know how comparatively weak and underdeveloped the Russian economy was even before the invasion of Ukraine. But since you seem to need links here they are:

This is Russia's GDP rank by nation.

https://www.worldometers.info/gdp/gdp-by-country/

But when you do it by GDP per capita,which is obvously a more realistic way to gauge its economy it's a lot worse:

https://www.worldometers.info/gdp/gdp-per-capita/

If you believe that superpowers are measured by GDP? Then it's a mystery why economy of many countries - especially those on top of GDP - is currently in turmoil?

In fact, I did not expect that you will provide a proof on your statement of destroying civilisation.

Anyway, I am afraid that the off-topic will no longer be tolerated once the off-topic is not positive. And you might know that the result of Plus and Minus is Zero...

33 minutes ago, Saanim said:

If you believe that superpowers are measured by GDP? Then it's a mystery why economy of many countries - especially those on top of GDP - is currently in turmoil?

In fact, I did not expect that you will provide a proof on your statement of destroying civilisation.

Anyway, I am afraid that the off-topic will no longer be tolerated once the off-topic is not positive. And you might know that the result of Plus and Minus is Zero...

Of course the primary measurement is GDP. You can't sustain power and influence on a meager budget. Can a country sustain I'm such a budget. We've seen that clearly in the case of Russia. Of course are lack of power is compounded by the extraordinary level of corruption.

And what has economic turmoil got to do with it? The economies of the developed Nations on their worst days are still far better off than Russia on its best. Do GDP per capita figures mean nothing to you?

5 hours ago, Saanim said:

This should clear it up.

Throughout most of the Soviet-era, Russia was one of the world's two superpowers. However, after the dissolution of the Soviet Union, it lost its superpower status, and recently has been suggested as a potential candidate for resuming superpower status in the 21st century.

During the annual state of the nation address at the Moscow Kremlin in December 2013, Russian president Vladimir Putin denied any Russian aspiration to be a superpower. He was quoted saying: "We do not aspire to be called some kind of superpower.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potential_superpower

• Like 1

19 hours ago, placeholder said:

Of course the primary measurement is GDP. You can't sustain power and influence on a meager budget. Can a country sustain I'm such a budget. We've seen that clearly in the case of Russia. Of course are lack of power is compounded by the extraordinary level of corruption.

And what has economic turmoil got to do with it? The economies of the developed Nations on their worst days are still far better off than Russia on its best. Do GDP per capita figures mean nothing to you?

The countries in TOP 10 GDP are surely very proud on their achievement, not minding the enormous debt that sometimes looming to shut the government of the superpower as we are currently witnessing.

And how does the GDP TOP 10 feel for the millions homeless and millions living in trailers? That beside the huge layoffs at the best companies owned by the Top 10 billionaires, just hearing somewhere about 18,000 at Amazon. How does the GDP per capita works for them? 

And the economies of developed nations? If you want to debate it properly you should learn more from their particular countries, not from the EU propaganda.

For instance in case of Germany - the EU powerhouse - there are very strong calls by MPs (can be seen on YT) for an immediate resign of the minister of the very strong economy (similarly as just the defence minister), people struggling with their end meets after the huge cost increase, not only of energy, ten thousands are out in streets.  In Paris reporting 1 million.  Biggest industries are in real turmoil after the Russian sanctions backfire... 

1 hour ago, Saanim said:

The countries in TOP 10 GDP are surely very proud on their achievement, not minding the enormous debt that sometimes looming to shut the government of the superpower as we are currently witnessing.

And how does the GDP TOP 10 feel for the millions homeless and millions living in trailers? That beside the huge layoffs at the best companies owned by the Top 10 billionaires, just hearing somewhere about 18,000 at Amazon. How does the GDP per capita works for them? 

And the economies of developed nations? If you want to debate it properly you should learn more from their particular countries, not from the EU propaganda.

For instance in case of Germany - the EU powerhouse - there are very strong calls by MPs (can be seen on YT) for an immediate resign of the minister of the very strong economy (similarly as just the defence minister), people struggling with their end meets after the huge cost increase, not only of energy, ten thousands are out in streets.  In Paris reporting 1 million.  Biggest industries are in real turmoil after the Russian sanctions backfire... 

The issue you raised is about power not the alleged plights of various citizens. Russia's economy and its military (apart from its nuclear force) are clearly far too weak to support any claim that Russia is once again a superpower. Unless your sole criterion is the possession of a large number of nuclear weapons.

• Like 2